Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

31 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see we've been linked with signing George Newell on loan.

At the age of 21 he appears to have made 12 professional league appearances with a goal haul of 0.

Is he any better than his stats would suggest?

Posted a fair amount of the below in your thread but anyway:

@ropy nails it above. He's keen.

One of the more commonly used phrases about him from certain sections of our fanbase is that "he's got something about him". Which really translates to "he runs about a bit". His season was largely spent injured. He made a few appearances off the bench early on but legit looked knackered after 5 minutes on the park, he picked up an undefined injury and pretty much disappeared before reappearing in time for the Scottish Cup semi-final in which Kari Arnason broke his face into a million pieces and finished his season.

The one moment of note and a game that probably shows him in a pretty good light was the 'Colt' team's game against Crusaders in the Irn Bru Cup. He scored a neat goal and for 'well fans it's worth watching the goal again for David Turnbull being David Turnbull in the midfield. Absolute.Fucking.#baller.

39 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see we've been linked with signing George Newell on loan.

At the age of 21 he appears to have made 12 professional league appearances with a goal haul of 0.

Is he any better than his stats would suggest?

When I first saw him against Berwick last season, I thought he looked incredibly raw - but quite promising. He spent the rest of the season in various states of injury, so he didn't really develop in any way. A loan would be a good move for all concerned I think..

57 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Jake Hastie’s also away out on loan on again next season, to the Championship this time with Alloa.

Noticed that too. I've not really been following the whole 'reserve' league shitshow but I seem to remember reading that one of the upshots of the new format is that it means fewer games with the logic presumably being that it'll allow players at that age group to go out on development loan and have involvement in both without as much risk of burnout.

As an aside, if that's both Hastie and Newell going out on dev loans then it means we'll be bringing in a few forwards. Those two being on loan leaves us with Main, Bowman and Scott. Presumably we'll be adding another 2 if Robinson wants to run with 4 'first team' strikers plus Scott.

Edit to add: If that is the case then I feel vaguely reassured if that's where Newell fits in to the squad.

Edited by capt_oats

Noticed that too. I've not really been following the whole 'reserve' league shitshow but I seem to remember reading that one of the upshots of the new format is that it means fewer games with the logic presumably being that it'll allow players at that age group to go out on development loan and have involvement in both without as much risk of burnout.
As an aside, if that's both Hastie and Newell going out on dev loans then it means we'll be bringing in a few forwards. Those two being on loan leaves us with Main, Bowman and Scott. Presumably we'll be adding another 2 if Robinson wants to run with 4 'first team' strikers plus Scott.
Edit to add: If that is the case then I feel vaguely reassured if that's where Newell fits in to the squad.
Nothing is confirmed regarding Newell FWIW, it was just a rumour in the paper so it could be a load of shite.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nothing is confirmed regarding Newell FWIW, it was just a rumour in the paper so it could be a load of shite.

Aye. Being honest I wouldn't be surprised if we were very open to the idea though.

As Swello said a couple of posts back Newell's injuries last season meant there was absolutely zero development on any initial promise. Having him out on development loan and available for our reserves would definitely make sense for everyone concerned.

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I generally take this sort of rumour as 100% gospel.  I struggle to see what any journalist would have to gain by inventing a fake George Newell and Dumbarton transfer story.

^^^^^^

ITK

I would prefer we put Newell out on loan for a while. He looks like he's blowing out his arsehole after about 5 minutes, and his entire season last year was basically just getting injured. He looks a half decent player, it would just be better to see what he can do when his ankles don't fall off or his face isn't smashed to bits.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

his face isn't smashed to bits.

None of us were caring at the time - but that from Arnasson was one of the biggest shitebag challenges I've seen - way worse than the one against Rangers that Bowman was pilloried for. He'd been knocked about all day by Main and Bowman, made an arse of it for the 3rd goal and so took his frustration out on a young boy. Arsehole.

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

None of us were caring at the time - but that from Arnasson was one of the biggest shitebag challenges I've seen - way worse than the one against Rangers that Bowman was pilloried for. He'd been knocked about all day by Main and Bowman, made an arse of it for the 3rd goal and so took his frustration out on a young boy. Arsehole.

Watching the replay was horrible.  Newall was out cold when he went face first into the Hampden turf.  

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I generally take this sort of rumour as 100% gospel.  I struggle to see what any journalist would have to gain by inventing a fake George Newell and Dumbarton transfer story.

Stevie Aitken has a habit of leaking names to the press, last season he said we had loan deals for Ryan Porteous and James Penrice and both deals never materialised.  I doubt the journo has actually checked out anything, he'll have spoken to Stevie and then printed that as one of our targets to fill a space.

On 31/05/2018 at 10:40, Casagolda said:

I’d be absolutely delighted with Ciftci and O’Halloran, however I’d imagine we’d struggle to afford either let alone both. 

I’ll stick my neck out and say despite all the talk of the likes of Ciftci and O’Halloran, I’ll still need to google our first couple of signings to find out who they are.

Pretty much.  

Looks like O’Halloran is on his way to Australia and Ciftci’s away back to Turkey. A nice idea in theory but one we could never realistically afford to execute.