Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, WellView said:

Though doth protest too much. 

I would say two.  Unfortunately,  Hartley is now on the fragile list.   Bad enough with him struggling for fitness, we're gonna be in trouble if he breaks down.  

On other related matters, Hibs fans are spending the McGinn money already. The majority would love to see Mulumbu at the club, other names mentioned are Cadden and Campbell, with a couple of wags ( rightfully ) pointing out that our support would go into meltdown if we sold them, Campbell.  

Would we meltdown if Cadden went there? Don't think so, if the money was right. 

@justsayin' 

Meanwhile over on Steelmen there is a rumour doing the rounds that Rangers have made an offer for Cadden. Supposedly £800k but as per usual it would appear to come in the form of empty fizzy bottles and a few bubblies. So we have told them to get tae France. 

Maybe a pile of crap but would not surprise me. 

Cadden is a strange one for me. Really like him and is a decent player (now with Scotland caps) but I still feel he is soooo inconsistent. If we are playing well he plays well but if we are struggling as we did on Sunday he struggles to raise his game or make a huge impact.  Might be staying the obvious with that statement but how I feel. 

Wonder if we could take some money and Docherty on loan in exchange ? 

Of all the players that are expected to leave, Cadden is the one i'd be least disappointed about.

As has been said, he's far too inconsistent and his delivery into the box is terrible. I don't mean to sound too harsh (or like a member of Well Fans II) but, at this point, I feel he's easily replaceable.

If we're looking to play Cadden more centrally I think this is a role that Turnbull could easily play. If Cadden were to go then i'd rather see Turnbull being given the chance rather than bringing someone else in as we have enough midfielders as it is.

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Meanwhile over on Steelmen there is a rumour doing the rounds that Rangers have made an offer for Cadden. Supposedly £800k but as per usual it would appear to come in the form of empty fizzy bottles and a few bubblies. So we have told them to get tae France. 

Cadden is a strange one for me. Really like him and is a decent player (now with Scotland caps) but I still feel he is soooo inconsistent. If we are playing well he plays well but if we are struggling as we did on Sunday he struggles to raise his game or make a huge impact.  Might be staying the obvious with that statement but how I feel. 

Docherty is pegged for a years loan to an English side.  The deal you are suggesting would be a cracking bit of business. Docherty and Campbell in the same midfield would run teams ragged.  

STV reporting that McGinn is undergoing a medical with Villa, and Lennon is quoted saying "Villa are in the driving seat."  I'm watching some meltdowns by Celtic fans already, they're disgusted that a player they rate and who is "sellic minded," has been lost because of the board low-balling.  I'm bringing up McGinn again as I feel his transfer will have a knock-on effect.  

This double window idea is interesting for the Scottish clubs. They can bank money with the certainty of knowing they have three weeks to replace players, and that three weeks will be in a non-competitive market.  Knowing the SPFL, they'll take a brainstorm and follow the new English window from next season, that's how inept they are, 

I like Cadden but if we are being offered serious money for him, we know what will (rightly) happen.

I'm more interested in that there appears to be no chat about Carson whatsoever in the run up to the window slamming in England tomorrow. I had resigned myself that he was first out the door this summer and it would be a very pleasant surprise if he's still here (although not, I suspect, for Trev).... 

41 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Doubt it given we've already got Sammon on loan from Hearts. Unless the loan rules have changed and we can have more than one loan player from teams in the same league.

Happy to stand corrected.

27 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Of all the players that are expected to leave, Cadden is the one i'd be least disappointed about.

As has been said, he's far too inconsistent and his delivery into the box is terrible. I don't mean to sound too harsh (or like a member of Well Fans II) but, at this point, I feel he's easily replaceable.

If we're looking to play Cadden more centrally I think this is a role that Turnbull could easily play. If Cadden were to go then i'd rather see Turnbull being given the chance rather than bringing someone else in as we have enough midfielders as it is.

This is the thing, I think Cadden's a smashing player. Fully on board with him picking the ball up and driving forward but ultimately even at this stage Turnbull is miles ahead of him technically. He may not have Cadden's energy or engine but he's got a first touch and awareness that's completely natural and a range of passing that just isn't in Cadden's game.

That's not to be harsh on Cadden but even at u20s level he was about going box to box. He's never really been a technical player. I remarked after the QotS game that his shroo ball for Sammon looked like an overhit pass to Bowman and I kind of stand by it. He tried exactly the same pass in the same area of the park against Clyde and it was straight out for a bye kick.

I think he'd benefit from a move and playing in a side with "better" players would probably help his development but I'd be surprised if we sold him to another team in the same league as us purely because I don't think that's our market for selling. If Erwin and Hall ended up at Leeds and Brighton respectively and we sold Johnson, Heneghan, Moult and Kipré to English clubs then I'd have thought we'd have been able to find a buyer in that market for a newly minted international. Wigan and Millwall were both linked with him earlier in the window to me they both make far more sense than Rangers or anyone else up here.

Edited by capt_oats

Wouldn't go as far as to say I'd be happy seeing Cadden go, but of all the "sellable assets", him leaving is one of the ones that would hurt the least. On his day, and usually that's when it's the teams day, he can be a massive asset, but I can only echo the consistency remarks from above.

May be wrong, but it only ever feels like he scores against lower division teams in the Betfred group stages. Being mostly played on the right, or at wing back can have something to do with that perhaps. If only he could play against Van der Weg every week ... 

If an offer comes in that's higher than the development fee we'd stand to get for him if he left at contract end, £600k circa I'm sure I've read before, then I'd be inclined to say yes to that happily. Don't see it happening, but if that came from Hibs and their McGinn money then meh, wouldn't bear any ill feeling from me anyway, but I don't see him as a replacement for McGinn tbh.

I said it earlier in the summer, but Cadden has gone as far as he can with Motherwell.  He needs to move to a higher level, firstly, to see if he's actually good enough and also to try and improve himself as a player.  I don't think he'll do that under Stephen Robinson, with all due respect.

As for where Cadden goes, I couldn't care less as long as we got  a decent transfer fee for him.

WellView makes a great point (where's this side of him come from?) about the English transfer window.  The fact we have three weeks in a market where we don't need to be competing with League 1/League 2/National League sides is a positive.  No doubt, fucking Doncaster will bring our deadline day forward next year as well. 

1 minute ago, Desp said:

I said it earlier in the summer, but Cadden has gone as far as he can with Motherwell.  He needs to move to a higher level, firstly, to see if he's actually good enough and also to try and improve himself as a player.  I don't think he'll do that under Stephen Robinson, with all due respect.

As for where Cadden goes, I couldn't care less as long as we got  a decent transfer fee for him.

WellView makes a great point (where's this side of him come from?) about the English transfer window.  The fact we have three weeks in a market where we don't need to be competing with League 1/League 2/National League sides is a positive.  No doubt, fucking Doncaster will bring our deadline day forward next year as well. 

It depends how much I've had to drink.  

Setting aside the potential structured transfer fee for Cadden,  we lose control of the sell-on percentage if he signs for someone under freedom of contract/development fee regulations. 

£550k up front, £300k next year, plus double-digit sell-on clause?  Do the deal.  

1 minute ago, WellView said:

It depends how much I've had to drink.  

Setting aside the potential structured transfer fee for Cadden,  we lose control of the sell-on percentage if he signs for someone under freedom of contract/development fee regulations. 

£550k up front, £300k next year, plus double-digit sell-on clause?  Do the deal.  

If it is / was Rangers then the £300k next year is the great unknown.  All that said they seem to be throwing money around.  Gives credence to the theory put forward by the former owner of Crystal Palace that someone somewhere is bankrolling them.  Also depends whether they sell a few of their players such as Windass or Tavernier.  Sadly that means they could probably afford Cadden. 

It all boils down to who if anyone is prepared to bid for Cadden and at a level we are comfortable with. Would much rather he went south but we shall see.

If he does go the I would want Campbell to stay and he can be our big fee earner next summer.  As for Carson - wow silly money being paid for goalies down south but a very good and dependable international keeper ?  No rumours about him going anywhere which would be quite frankly baffling.  But better for us and he has another 2 years left on contract.

Given the mention of Docherty a few posts up I see that's him just signed for Shrewsbury on loan.

Quick check of their squad list was quite the eye opener.

Kieran Kennedy AND Zak Jules. Fucking hell...

5b6af7128d7f2_ScreenShot2018-08-08at14_58_15.thumb.png.af7e061eefc5e3e6407ad8cc92f6a33d.png

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If it is / was Rangers then the £300k next year is the great unknown.  All that said they seem to be throwing money around.  Gives credence to the theory put forward by the former owner of Crystal Palace that someone somewhere is bankrolling them.  Also depends whether they sell a few of their players such as Windass or Tavernier.  Sadly that means they could probably afford Cadden. 

It all boils down to who if anyone is prepared to bid for Cadden and at a level we are comfortable with. Would much rather he went south but we shall see.

If he does go the I would want Campbell to stay and he can be our big fee earner next summer.  As for Carson - wow silly money being paid for goalies down south but a very good and dependable international keeper ?  No rumours about him going anywhere which would be quite frankly baffling.  But better for us and he has another 2 years left on contract.

Short of Rangers being liquidated and not reapplying for a league place, ie - going totally out of existence, we are guaranteed the money under the football debt regulation. 

I can't see Rangers folding in the next twelve months. And I certainly can't see then going totally out of existence.  

At it's essence it's just a pure example of if you have the ball, give it to someone wearing the same clothes as you. If you don't have the ball, don't stand next to people wearing different clothes.

This is just about the single best description of football that I've ever seen.

Last day of the window for English clubs. Don’t think we’ve got much to worry about unless a few teams have missed out on their first and second options and fancy the likes of Cadden or Carson.

Wouldn’t be too surprised to see Bigi away either.

I'm at the point where the Kipre transfer has taken the pressure off to a large extent. The lights will stay on for another season, we will be paying down an acceptable amount of debt and (you'd hope) would be able to bring in a couple of players before the end of the month. As a supporter, there is a balance of wanting the club to be in a stable state financially and actually enjoying watching the team - and if Carson and Cadden stay on for another few months at least, then I'll be more than happy TBH.

Things can obviously move very quickly on English transfer day - but given the lack of noise from the normally reliable sources about anyone being away - it looks like nothing is  in the offing for today...

I see Tackling Tommy Aldred's latest Insta story has him on a motorway going somewhere....

I mean, for all I know he's going to IKEA but nevertheless...footballer sticking up that on his Instagram on #deadlineday it seems like a hint of sorts.

Edited by capt_oats