Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I like Robinson but he has made a complete horses arse of the summer transfer dealings. Last season it was clear that we needed to address the forward line and add some creativity and flair into the middle. What we got though was Connor Sammon and another midfielder that's apparently here to sit on the bench.

Result of that is we haven't kicked on from last season and are in fact going backwards. We have zero flair or attacking quality and thus don't score goals and don't pick up points. We'll be out of the League Cup by the middle of this week and the big 'release' from last year's turgid league form will be gone for this year, so it's going to be a grim time for us between now and January.

I agree Robinson’s misjudged things this summer imho and that in itself is a surprise. He was pretty spot on with what he wanted/needed last summer. Then again in January the signings of Main and Aldred in particular turned round a season that was heading off the rails in December.

I mean I can understand it in a way, we reached 2 cup finals and came 7th having narrowly missed out on the top 6. Robinson seems to be of the belief it was that poor run in December when we were hit by injuries that cost us and no one’s going to argue the likes of Griffiths, Hendrie, Petravicius etc weren’t good enough when called upon last season. 

However he completely seems to fail to acknowledge the fact that from December right through to the split in April, we only won 3 league games in 4 months. Lots of draws and narrow defeats in there mind, where we just lacked a cutting edge in the final third(sound familiar?).

He’s now talking about a lack of quality in the final third after games this season like it’s something that’s snuck up on him, instead of something that’s been staring him in right the face.

I also really like the guy and have a lot of respect for what he’s done for the club since he took over, however does he maybe just have a blind spot when it comes to the attack? I seem to remember Oldham fans saying when he left that they were well organised defensively under him, however they were beginning to forget what scoring a goal was like.

My fear is that we’re about to head down a similar path this season. 

12 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

How did turnbull do when he came on yesterday?

He had a few decent touches and won a couple of tackles without really imposing himself. In fairness neither side created much in the time he was on the park. It was 35 mins of two teams completely cancelling each other out. Dom Ball was booked for a cynical challenge on Turnbull when he was breaking forward on half way and was taken out the game.

I don't think he looked out of place physically. McKenna picked up a booking when he went straight through the back of him and cleaned him out  in an aerial challenge and it didn't really seem to affect him. He just got up and got on with it.

It was interesting to see him get as much of the 2nd half as he did given that was his first appearance of the season in the first team at "a difficult place to go". I'd actually be interested to see how a midfield 3 of Campbell, Bigi and Turnbull would get on with some regular game time between them tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

We're a really weird team tbh. It's strange how inconsistent we are considering our signing policy basically consists of 7/10 every week hard-working guid honest laddies. We've scored as many goals as Celtic and more than Aberdeen but drawn blanks in 4 out of our 6 games. In other two we've managed to stick 3 past Dundee(which everyone is doing right now tbf) and Stevie G's European conquering Queen's Eleven.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We're a really weird team tbh

Evergreen statement.

The last 2 games have certainly been weird - both Hearts and Aberdeen spent large portions of the game playing more conservatively than we would normally expect from them as they were protecting narrow leads for long periods of time and so we had plenty of the ball but simply didn't have what it takes to break them down. It was more like the type of games we see against Accies - and just as frustrating. Both Rangers and Dundee were significantly more open and I think we did well as a result..

We're more or less where I expected us to be at this point in the season bar a disappointing result against Accies.

The challenge for the team now is that we're coming into a run of games where, more often than not, we should be expecting to pick up points. I'm never one to jump on the manager's back but I'd imagine a fair few of our support will if we don't start picking up results against teams who are likely to be in and around us for most of the season.

The issue we have is we only have one way of playing.  If it's sussed out quickly, or certain players aren't on it for whatever reason, it just falls to pieces.  There is no Plan B.  If we're behind, we just launch on Sammon or Bowman and see what happens. 

For a manager who likes "balls into the box", there's only one winger in the squad and he generally plays at wing-back. 

A number of us said it last season when things were successful, it won't take much for a chunk of the support to turn on Robinson if we go on a bad run.  If we lose on Wednesday, then there's no longer the excitement of a Hampden visit to mask the poor/mediocre league form.  January could turn out to be a huge month for Robinson. 

He had a few decent touches and won a couple of tackles without really imposing himself. In fairness neither side created much in the time he was on the park. It was 35 mins of two teams completely cancelling each other out. Dom Ball was booked for a cynical challenge on Turnbull when he was breaking forward on half way and was taken out the game.
I don't think he looked out of place physically. McKenna picked up a booking when he went straight through the back of him and cleaned him out  in an aerial challenge and it didn't really seem to affect him. He just got up and got on with it.
It was interesting to see him get as much of the 2nd half as he did given that was his first appearance of the season in the first team at "a difficult place to go". I'd actually be interested to see how a midfield 3 of Campbell, Bigi and Turnbull would get on with some regular game time between them tbh.

Thanks for that. I’d quite like to see Turnball or the Spaniard to get more game time, probably at the expense of Rose.

Our next two winnable home games are against St Johnstone and Livi who are both teams that are suited to playing away. Thankfully St Mirren and Dundee look to be shocking this season.

42 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

My Link

Don't worry lads, Robinson’s cracked it. Apparently we’ve been struggling because we’ve been trying to play too much football. 

Also sounds like the only striker actually scoring goals at the minute is genuinely about to be dropped. 

Highly concerning if that's what SR's thought process is. At this rate we'll be looking at 1995/96 levels of goalless games.

22 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

I found Mark McGhee's interview with the BBC last week quite amusing, I've tried to document how ridiculous his final month in charge at Fir Park was.

https://www.mfc1886.com/justice-for-mcghee-the-spectacular-demise-of-a-football-manager/ 

A very accurate piece and echos my thoughts completely and I have no doubt, the thoughts of the majority of the support.

I have made my feelings on Mark McGhee very clear over the past few years on here so I won't bother going into it all again, but what I will say is that no matter what has happened since he was rinsed or what will happen in the future, we as a club are well shot of him.

My Link
Don't worry lads, Robinson’s cracked it. Apparently we’ve been struggling because we’ve been trying to play too much football. 
Also sounds like the only striker actually scoring goals at the minute is genuinely about to be dropped. 

Read that and was actually dismayed.

Thinking this sounds like Bigi to be dropped along with Johnson.

Think we will be utterly brutal to watch, more so than usual.