Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Is that really what counts as a "debacle" these days? We took a punt on somebody with a dodgy recent history and it didn't work out, same risk we take with a lot of our signings. No significant financial or footballing harm done. But maybe I was just never expecting as much from him as some folk apparently were.
Casper Sloth is a much bigger debacle, by those standards...
Ok, probably not a debacle as such as there was no real harm done, I just think it was just a real disappointment for such a high profile signing. I didn't necessarily expect him to be a superstar for us but expected a lot more than what we got.

There was at least an element of patter to Nielsen, Hollis and Twardzik, they all had brief moments of redemption and their f**k ups didn't really cost us in the end. Samson was a season long calamity and gave the impression he was on a personal mission to relegate us singlehandedly.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

There was at least an element of patter to Nielsen, Hollis and Twardzik, they all had brief moments of redemption and their f**k ups didn't really cost us in the end. Samson was a season long calamity and gave the impression he was on a personal mission to relegate us singlehandedly.

Twardzik Nielson & Hollis was all about someone being shite only to be replaced by the other jobber for 5 games, Samson had no one. The only thing Russell Griffiths was good for was the Fabio Cardoso piss take video he did.

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

It’s mental we finished 2nd with those three haddies as our keepers.

Fuckin' wild. Hollis was like when one of yer pals had to go in at crossy in, trying to save things with his feet and shit.

It's wild Dean Brill manages to totally fly under the radar in these discussions.

Obviously not surprising because he didn't play a game but equally...he couldn't get a game ahead of Samson.

Clearly he had his injury issues at ICT but he looked miles past it even at Dev level.

26 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I didn’t actually think Twardzik was that bad he had a lot of good games and helped up finish 2nd. Certainly better than Hollis and Nielsen that season. The game against Celtic he was also outstanding. 

I liked him after his first stint but he got lobbed in Iceland from 50 yards when he was stood on his line.

27 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I didn’t actually think Twardzik was that bad he had a lot of good games and helped up finish 2nd. Certainly better than Hollis and Nielsen that season. The game against Celtic he was also outstanding. 

Twardzik had 5 good games when he was on emergency loan. Great games even. He was absolute dug shite after that though. I think he's playing pub fitba in Germany these days.

3 hours ago, The_Craig said:

It was a good listen on the terrace patreon.

The thing that amazes me was that the competition winner was on the bench for the Scottish Cup final and so had his name read out by the one, the only, the voice of boxing Michael Buffer.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!

Did the SFA pay money to get that grey haired boy to shout some inaudible rubbish into the microphone?  Anticlimax.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Samson was a season long calamity and gave the impression he was on a personal mission to relegate us singlehandedly  limp-wristedly

He certainly set a record for (often against all odds) palming the ball straight to the other team's centre forward.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Samson was a season long calamity and gave the impression he was on a personal mission to relegate us singlehandedly.

The thing with Samson (for me) was the whole context.

We signed him - presumably because we wanted shot of Twardzik asap - and didn't play him. Ripley was established #1 Samson who had left Killie because he didn't want to be a back-up 'keeper, signed for us and sat on the bench for 8 (EIGHT) months. He signed on 15th September and didn't make his debut until April 23rd by which point we were safely Top 6.

So, having had him around the club and established he wasn't good enough to be #1 ahead of Ripley we just made him first pick anyway seemingly because he was still hanging around. Maybe it was budget related IDK but it was pretty mental.

Given the way things have went with Robinson at the club and his goalkeeper recruitment I'd genuinely be curious to know his approach.

Randolph was already at the club when McCall took over but IIRC he basically just delegated to Marshall. McGhee inherited Ripley from Baraclough then seemingly just handed the gloves to Samson when Ripley's loan expired. Cheers for that.

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I thought my head was going to explode when he conceded the penalty against Aberdeen after gifting the ball to Adam Rooney.

That was the worst - still raging about that. I think that was the moment that fully moved everyone at the club to "he'll no dae".

I'm the least ITK person going, but I randomly ended up having a chat with a player who was in the team that night - and although we were actually talking about how good our keepers are at the moment, he brought up that incident unprompted and was pretty scathing about Samson in general, which was enjoyably undiplomatic :)

Here it is in all its glory (he even palmed the penalty out!):

(and BTW, after all the talk about McDonald - his goal in this is outrageous)

Edited by Swello