Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Someone who seems to have got no consideration is Henrik Ojamaa,
In his first stint he scored about 15 goals and had about 20 assists in 18 months. Fair enough he ruined it when he came back on loan but he was pivotal to Hidgon being the POTY (along with Nicky Law.)

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

In his first stint he scored about 15 goals and had about 20 assists in 18 months. Fair enough he ruined it when he came back on loan but he was pivotal to Hidgon being the POTY (along with Nicky Law.)

He was my right winger one of my favourite players to watch in a well shirt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/15802538.stm

Wonder what the reaction would have been sitting through a drab November 0-0 if you'd announced to the guy next to you that he was currently witnessing 8 of the best eleven Motherwell players of the entire decade playing together.

(I don't have any complaints with the team -other than a lack of Vigurs- this is just more or less the only game I can find where that many were on the pitch at the same time.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/15802538.stm
Wonder what the reaction would have been sitting through a drab November 0-0 if you'd announced to the guy next to you that he was currently witnessing 8 of the best eleven Motherwell players of the entire decade playing together.
(I don't have any complaints with the team -other than a lack of Vigurs- this is just more or less the only game I can find where that many were on the pitch at the same time.)
"Omar Daley was part of a two-pronged Jamaican wing attack."

What a time.

Lionel and Marv were both wayyyyy better than Humphrey, and any team of the decade that doesn't have Henrik in it, isn't the team of the decade. There's a highlights video of his first spell with us that's genuinely mind blowing.

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Agree with this totally. When I was thinking about my team of the decade, I always imagined the players I was choosing to be on good form (that's why Lionel made it) - and when he was on form, Ojamaa was one of the best players to watch over the last 10 years. His performance against Hearts at Fir Park when we were down to 10 men and went on to win was (IMO) one of the best individual performances of that time. 

And when someone invites me on to Desert Island Goals* - This would be on my list as I could watch this all day, every day:

*might do a thread for that :)

The team of the decade ended up being 10/11 that I voted for.

The only difference was Law for Humphrey in mine. I was rather annoyed when he left for Rangers, but looking back on it he was absolutely brilliant for us over his two seasons. There haven't been many others who were quite as consistent and important over two seasons as he was.

I liked Humphrey a lot but I think people forget he wasn't always a nailed on starter. He spent a lot of time on the bench in the season before his last. The argument for Lionel's inclusion is a decent one, but I do acknowledge as well as the good times, how infuriating he was all the times he just couldn't be arsed.

I did think Turnbull might have been a flippant inclusion but he did have quite the exceptional season. Jennings and Allan Campbell would've been next in line.

He would probably still be behind Sutton and Ojamaa, as well as Moult and Higdon, but for me you can also place Scott McDonald a bit in the "overlooked for being a bit of a knob" category. He had a massive contribution to our decade.

Edited by crazylegsjoe

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think the problem is trying to fit Moult, Higdon, Ainsworth, Marv, Murphy and Ojamaa into the same squad in any sensible way. 

4 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

He would probably still be behind Sutton and Ojamaa, as well as Moult and Higdon, but for me you can also place Scott McDonald a bit in the "overlooked for being a bit of a knob" category. He had a massive contribution to our decade

Our "problem" is that we had too many genuinely good attackers over that period - probably comparable with any era of the club that didn't feature on a pathe news reel.

McDonald is a funny one -he's inarguably one of our most important players of the past 25 years, never mind decade - given that he was pivotal in keeping us in the league multiple times rather than european qualifications or cups, etc, brought in one of our highest transfer fees at that point, is one of our all time record goal scorers - and given that he was scoring against top teams in the Champions League, he undoubtedly was a player that could play at a high level. Just goes to show what a bit of classless badge kissing can do for your legacy.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

Our "problem" is that we had too many genuinely good attackers over that period - probably comparable with any era of the club that didn't feature on a pathe news reel.

McDonald is a funny one -he's inarguably one of our most important players of the past 25 years, never mind decade - given that he was pivotal in keeping us in the league multiple times rather than european qualifications or cups, etc, brought in one of our highest transfer fees at that point, is one of our all time record goal scorers - and given that he was scoring against top teams in the Champions League, he undoubtedly was a player that could play at a high level. Just goes to show what a bit of classless badge kissing can do for your legacy.

There's absolutely no doubt that McDonald was an egomaniac and didn't miss an opportunity to tell everyone he was a Sellick man, but largely I've been able to look past stuff like that if the player is doing the business on the park - but McDonald definitely did. Looking at transfermarkt, in that 2.5 year spell when he was back he scored 30 goals and got 19 assists. That's some numbers, particularly as he was usually the more withdrawn of the front two.

22 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I love Chris Humphrey but Ainsworth is the human highlight reel. 

I think the problem is trying to fit Moult, Higdon, Ainsworth, Marv, Murphy and Ojamaa into the same squad in any sensible way. 

I was pleased with how sensible and balanced the XI was. I saw a World XI once that had Pele and Gerd Muller up front and a midfield of Ronaldo, Messi, Cryuff and Maradona and it annoyed me a lot, probably more than it should have.

38 minutes ago, Al B said:

Lionel and Marv were both wayyyyy better than Humphrey, and any team of the decade that doesn't have Henrik in it, isn't the team of the decade. There's a highlights video of his first spell with us that's genuinely mind blowing.

35 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I love Chris Humphrey but Ainsworth is the human highlight reel. 

If you don't have Lionel Ainsworth in your Motherwell team of the decade then you've got no joy in your life and probably hurt small animals.

Higdon, Moult, Ainsworth, the rest I'm willing to get into a debate about, but those three are first on the teamsheet, IMO.

Hateley missing out because he's a p***k is very, very funny as well tbh.

8 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

There's absolutely no doubt that McDonald was an egomaniac and didn't miss an opportunity to tell everyone he was a Sellick man, but largely I've been able to look past stuff like that if the player is doing the business on the park - but McDonald definitely did. Looking at transfermarkt, in that 2.5 year spell when he was back he scored 30 goals and got 19 assists. That's some numbers, particularly as he was usually the more withdrawn of the front two.

I was pleased with how sensible and balanced the XI was. I saw a World XI once that had Pele and Gerd Muller up front and a midfield of Ronaldo, Messi, Cryuff and Maradona and it annoyed me a lot, probably more than it should have.

McDonald was effectively playing at holding midfield in the play offs and was absolutely class in there. A great player but overlooked for the same reasons as Hateley probably.

That kind of thing annoys me as well. I hate when select XIs don't actually work as a formation. In this instance I'd be willing to accept Hammell on the left side of a back 3 as he played a good few games there. 

I think it works out at 9/11 of the team I put in.

I had Kipré in for Tait, almost 90% of which was down to listening to @thisGRAEME and @AndyRoss on the Terrace Patreon while I was filling out the form.

Tbh, Tait's the correct choice given the competition for that spot amounts to Hateley (p***k and his old man doubly so), Based Craig Reid, Josh Law, Cadden and Grimshaw. It's amusing that Tait's probably played 50% of his games for Motherwell on the left but he carries himself pretty well, has played almost 140 games so far and has captained the side on a regular basis.

Like @Gianfranco Turnbull was first name on my team sheet; 19 years old and carried a team for pretty much an entire season, the only CM to get into double figures that I've seen in my time supporting Motherwell and finished top scorer. First FW YPOTY since McFadden and but for a stray bit of cartilage would have been our record sale by a distance. Get him fucking in there.

I totally get the Nicky Law shout but again fucking off to sign for a new club in the seaside leagues and currently jobbing around in EFL League 2 kind of pales in comparison to some of the other options.

The legacy stuff is actually quite interesting. Randolph has gone on to be an EPL level goalkeeper, Hutchinson a good Championship level CB, Murphy ended up in the EPL with Brighton...others like Craigan, Hammell and Lasley are legit club icons.

I also had Ainsworth in for Humphrey. That highlights reel man. Any excuse tbh...

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I also had Ainsworth in for Humphrey as well. That highlights reel man. Any excuse tbh...

Thank you. 

Looking back, my team of the decade is a bit radge, particularly including guys that played little more than a season in there, but I'd argue that Marvin Johnson made as big a contribution to Motherwell as just about anyone over the last decade, whether it was turning Ricky Foster into a shoelace knot, making Nicky Law his bitch or making us LOADSA MONEY. 

25 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Thank you. 

Looking back, my team of the decade is a bit radge, particularly including guys that played little more than a season in there, but I'd argue that Marvin Johnson made as big a contribution to Motherwell as just about anyone over the last decade, whether it was turning Ricky Foster into a shoelace knot, making Nicky Law his bitch or making us LOADSA MONEY. 

May as well stick this one in the thread as well.

Totally agree on Johnson. I'd think the way he left probably plays a part especially when he's put up against Murphy (again, legacy - though I did notice him playing for Boro vs Spurs last night) but the flip of that is we absolutely coined it in off him. Off the back of something like a £30k investment we've seen close to £1m back.

Also, as contributions not only to Motherwell but Scottish Football as a whole go...he's some boi.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Totally agree on Johnson. I'd think the way he left probably plays a part especially when he's put up against Murphy (again, legacy - though I did notice him playing for Boro vs Spurs last night) but the flip of that is we absolutely coined it in off him. Off the back of something like a £30k investment we've seen close to £1m back.

Also, as contributions not only to Motherwell but Scottish Football as a whole go...he's some boi.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Hi.