Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Samson is, without doubt, the worst keeper we've had in the past decade. I never thought that Twardzik or Nielsen were that bad and I can't really remember Hollis. Samson seemed to spend his entire career with us setting up goals for opposition strikers. He was also permanently stuck to his line with the one time he did come off it resulting in him being lobbed by a 20 yard header from Zak fucking Jules.

Samson is the worst 'keeper of the decade for me. In fact, I'd probably extend that to the worst 'keeper I've seen play with Motherwell. Obviously Stevie Woods gets a bad press from years gone by, but as far as I remember he did actually have the odd good game amongst his bad ones.

Samson's "mistakes to goals" ratio must be massively high. I always remember goalkeepers at my lowly level at boys club age being taught if they couldn't catch the ball to palm it away from goal. The amount of times Samson made a "save" but put it right back into the danger area was ridiculous. This was a guy who was 31 when we signed him and had been number one at two other clubs in the division, as well as making up the numbers in Scotland squads. 

Twardzik, Hollis and Nielsen were all relatively untested at this level, that's maybe why I was more forgiving of that trio than I was of Samson.

That was the worst - still raging about that. I think that was the moment that fully moved everyone at the club to "he'll no dae".
I'm the least ITK person going, but I randomly ended up having a chat with a player who was in the team that night - and although we were actually talking about how good our keepers are at the moment, he brought up that incident unprompted and was pretty scathing about Samson in general, which was enjoyably undiplomatic [emoji4]
Here it is in all its glory (he even palmed the penalty out!):
(and BTW, after all the talk about McDonald - his goal in this is outrageous)
Maybe a bit harsh but he even palmed it straight back out when he saved the penalty. I'm still not convinced it should have been a penalty though- looks like Rooney tripped himself up.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Did Dean Brill ever actually play for us? The only memory I have of him was thinking he must have had a couple of jackets on because it was baltic.

Only to discover as he warmed up that he was probably about 3 stone overweight.

He played 0 games for us and then left us in pursuit of first-team football and joined Colchester in January where he also played a grand total of 0 games.

According to his wiki he's played quite regularly at Leyton Orient though.

I'm quite shocked at that. This story broke around the time he was being linked with the Hearts job and I genuinely assumed, until now, that he'd just had a run in with some pished Hearts fan who had clocked who he was and maybe given him grief.

I'm quite shocked at that. This story broke around the time he was being linked with the Hearts job and I genuinely assumed, until now, that he'd just had a run in with some pished Hearts fan who had clocked who he was and maybe given him grief.
That's what I had assumed as well as he had said it was a family day out in Edinburgh and there was a misunderstanding. The "misunderstanding " bit though is the word that often seems to be linked to this sort of incident and it all seems a bit unsavoury.

Unfortunate for all concerned, no matter the outcome.

*If* found guilty of that, it would be hard for the club to keep him on IMO. Football in general is pretty prehistoric on stuff like this but in our case, I'd be surprised if it was just brushed under the carpet.