Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, dezz said:

Same guy is saying there’ll be a player sale at Wigan in the next 24 hours to fund wages for the rest of the squad.

With the window not open in England (or elsewhere in Europe as far as I’m aware) does that suggest a sale to Scotland?

Can’t say I know much about Wigan’s squad outwith Kipre and now Lang but with the lack of other windows open and the small number of clubs in Scotland who would pay a fee...

#WelcomeCallum

Along with Lang he's been talking about Brighton taking Jensen Weir who they've apparently been interested in for a while - I'd guess the window's not open for them to register him but there's presumably nothing to stop them agreeing a sale.

They've also got Antonee Robinson who was supposed to sign for AC Milan but the deal fell through at the medical - Link.

It seems Leicester have an interest in him now - Link

Edited by capt_oats

Along with Lang he's been talking about Brighton taking Jensen Weir who they've apparently been interested in for a while - I'd guess the window's not open for them to register him but there's presumably nothing to stop them agreeing a sale.
They've also got Antonee Robinson who was supposed to sign for AC Milan but the deal fell through at the medical - Link.
It seems Leicester have an interest in him now - Link

Those deals maybe make more sense given the ‘fund wages of the squad’ comment. As much as we seem to be in relatively decent shape financially I can’t see Motherwell chucking about fees that are going to fund a championship team wage bill haha.

41 minutes ago, dezz said:

Those deals maybe make more sense given the ‘fund wages of the squad’ comment. As much as we seem to be in relatively decent shape financially I can’t see Motherwell chucking about fees that are going to fund a championship team wage bill haha.

I mean, in fairness the two deals Nixon's been talking about are Weir and Lang (per the tweet you quoted earlier).

Turns out Weir's actually son of David. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_Weir

He's only 18 so presumably he's not around the 1st team - which would make sense if they're shipping out players who aren't in the starting XI at the moment.

Edited by capt_oats

If he gets back to previous form he could get a much better move than arse end of the championship Stoke.

Guess they’re hoping to take a bit of a gamble on his fitness and steal a march on others who are waiting to see how he’s recovered.

Interesting footnote to that article.

Newcastle gaffer Steve Bruce is another huge admirer of the midfielder who will be 21 on Friday.

But with Bruce’s position at St James’ Park uncertain amid ongoing takeover talks, his longer-term transfer plans are understood to have been placed on hold.

Tbh, I'd have thought if anyone would have been of interest to O'Neill at Stoke it'd have been Campbell.

Edited by capt_oats

42 minutes ago, Swello said:

EcWiBKBWsAIXViV?format=jpg&name=largenrBi

Interesting front page on tomorrow's record...

I smell Sh1te. Clearly a slow news day. 
I would be very surprised if anyone puts a bid in for him before he has the chance to play competitive football. 
And why would we even entertain anything less than £3m when he has 2 years on his contract. 
If he starts the season where he left off then I expect a flurry of interest. 

51 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting footnote to that article.

Tbh, I'd have thought if anyone would have been of interest to O'Neill at Stoke it'd have been Campbell.

I had heard Stoke were interested in Campbell a few weeks ago so I’m surprised it’s Turnbull in the papers.

This is the worst possible time for us to sell IMO.  You'd have to imagine we'll struggle to get anywhere near the £2-3m being talked about last summer while he's coming off the back of a year out and the entire football industry and transfer market is in an unprecedented state of disarray- two factors that you'd hope won't be as big an issue in January.

It'd be quite nice to actually see him play as well.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

42 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This is the worst possible time for us to sell IMO.  You'd have to imagine we'll struggle to get anywhere near the £2-3m being talked about last summer while he's coming off the back of a year out and the entire football industry and transfer market is in an unprecedented state of disarray- two factors that you'd hope won't be as big an issue in January.

It'd be quite nice to actually see him play as well.

Aye, it’d be great to get a full, uninjured, pandemic-free season out of him. Despite the fact it’s v early in, and many of our signings are unknown/we don’t know if they’ll be hits or not, I feel like this season will be a really fun one. (If we keep everyone currently and make at least one more forward signing who’s half decent.) Turnbull and Polworth doing ballon d’or things, Campbell and O’Hara demolishing midfields for the pure entertainment value that destruction brings and Tony Watt being... a meme? Also predicting in my lovely imaginary land that Grimmy will finally score a 30 yard rocket in off the bar that sees a rightful pitch invasion. 

Edited by CSmith

34 minutes ago, CSmith said:

Aye, it’d be great to get a full, uninjured, pandemic-free season out of him. Despite the fact it’s v early in, and many of our signings are unknown/we don’t know if they’ll be hits or not, I feel like this season will be a really fun one. (If we keep everyone currently and make at least one more forward signing who’s half decent.) Turnbull and Polworth doing ballon d’or things, Campbell and O’Hara demolishing midfields for the pure entertainment value that destruction brings and Tony Watt being... a meme? Also predicting in my lovely imaginary land that Grimmy will finally score a 30 yard rocket in off the bar that sees a rightful pitch invasion. 

Would be incredibly cruel if the inevitable Grimshaw 35 yarder is in an empty stadium.

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Would be incredibly cruel if the inevitable Grimshaw 35 yarder is in an empty stadium.

You know, I think that might be the one thing I’d break lockdown for. Liam Grimshaw Day will be more monumental and significant in modern history than the moon landing, collapse of the Berlin Wall AND the comeback of Steps.

8 hours ago, supermarv said:

I had heard Stoke were interested in Campbell a few weeks ago so I’m surprised it’s Turnbull in the papers.

:lol: :lol:  You kept that one quiet. 

Celtic could resume their interest in Turnbull but face competition from Newcastle United and Stoke. (Express, print edition)

I really hope the Newcastle one is a loan deal. that’s where the real money is... or so I have heard.

I'm putting this down as Keith Jackson papertalk

Turnbull going to a struggling Championship side isn't going to happen, as I mentioned last year he is much better than that. I'm 90% sure Turnbull himself would turn his nose up at that type of move. The fact he turned down Norwich in the EPL also suggests that.

If Stoke turn out to be the only concrete offer on the table this summer I think both parties would be quite happy to see how this season goes. If Turnbull plays anywhere near to the level he can this season there will be bigger clubs and bigger offers in for him which suits both parties.

Naturally I would prefer Turnbull to go down south than to the Old Firm but he would be mental to go to the championship. I'm sure he sees the likes of Mclean, GIlmour, McGinn and Armstrong playing down there and is very confident that he can do the same.

Given the injury and contractual situation I would be surprised if he moves in this window. January I think is a big possibilty though

Edited by Luke92