Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Glentoran 1-0 up at HT.

HBT looked better team for first 30 MNS but Glentoran now on top.

Really surprised game is on as there are serious water patches in various parts of pitch causing sticking. Weather expected to worsen in 2nd half!!!!

2 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Glentoran 1-0 up at HT.

HBT looked better team for first 30 MNS but Glentoran now on top.

Really surprised game is on as there are serious water patches in various parts of pitch causing sticking. Weather expected to worsen in 2nd half!!!!

It is just a matter of getting the game past and moving through the rounds, no-one will care about the state of the park.

Bigirimana to ping a free-kick in from 30 yards and knock us out of Europe then. Understood. 

At least we won’t need to blow all of the James Scott sell-on millions on a charter flight to the Faroes. 

Wait, it’s a home game. Forget all of that nonsense. 

Edited by Swami

Full Time -  Glentoran 1-0 HB Tórshavn. Thank god i watch that instead to the St. Johnston v Aberdeen game.

Was an interesting match as the pitch reminded me of the old fir park pitch (i.e. shite in every-way) which affected the flow of the game. Both teams didn't seem to be up to much and having Glentoran as our opponents may be the best. HB are on a good run in their league and on a good pitch they might provide a much better opposition compared to today's game.

Taking a look at Glentoran, they seem to be around a league one, maybe championship team? A team that we should be beating but it is certainly not guaranteed if we play badly or just simply underestimate them. They have Bigi some he will bring both knowledge of fir park and experience of the Scottish game to the team. Many of their kick/clearences have been pretty pour and the there has been a few instances where the defence and goalkeeper have miss communicated. They wasn't many shots on target against them so i cannot judge how good the goalkeeper is.

There is not much i can add, unlike @capt_oats who will undoubtedly will have a treasure trove of the most recent Glentoran games highlights and stats to break them down.

Anyway, i believe Stephen Craigan will be happy and will most likely will be involved with the commentary/live stream of this game.

Not a great game but the weather and pitch didn't help although I thought it seemed to stop HB playing football more than Glentoran. Lovely finish to win it though. Strangely, I've turned over to the Coleraine game where it actually looks quite a nice night and the pitch is i great nick.

I don't know if anyone heard the commentator say after the game that qualifying for Europe is worth half a milliion euros to Glentoran and winning tonight doubled their money! Surely some mistake.

2 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

If there’s a stream at all it’ll probably be shitey premier sports.

Doubt it. The Aberdeen and then the Rangers games will be on premier.

I believe they will be covering this through the live.motherwellfc.co.uk site. I am also assuming this would be free to season ticket holders as they did promise something like this.

Edited by Phillips455

Doubt it. The Aberdeen and then the Rangers games will be on premier.
I believe they will be covering this through the live.motherwellfc.co.uk site. I am also assuming this would be free to season ticket holders as they did promise something like this.

If we’re allowed to do that then ideal.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Not a great game but the weather and pitch didn't help although I thought it seemed to stop HB playing football more than Glentoran. Lovely finish to win it though. Strangely, I've turned over to the Coleraine game where it actually looks quite a nice night and the pitch is i great nick.

I don't know if anyone heard the commentator say after the game that qualifying for Europe is worth half a milliion euros to Glentoran and winning tonight doubled their money! Surely some mistake.

Sounds correct. You get €220,000 for the prelimanary round, €240,000 for the 1st qualifying round, then €260,000 for the 2nd qualifying round, €280,000 for the 3rd qualifying round and €300,000 for the play offs. If we make it to the Play-offs then we would earn over £1 million. Get to the Group stage and its a further €2,920,000 with more money for each win or draw within this stage.

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Distribution_(from_2021–22_to_2023–24)

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/stakeholders/news/0253-0f8e6d83afa2-0904576faee6-1000--2019-20-uefa-club-competitions-revenue-distribution-system/?referrer=%2Finsideuefa%2Fstakeholders%2Fclubs%2Fnews%2Fnewsid%3D2616265

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is it cumulative money or do you get paid the amount for the round you get to?

It looks to be cumulative but i may be wrong. Here is what UEFA directly states on the Payments link:

Solidarity payments for the qualifying phase of the UEFA club competitions

Under the new distribution system, the pot for payments to clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League qualifying rounds will be equal to 3% of the overall gross revenue plus an additional €10m coming from UEFA Champions League clubs. Based on the forecast of €3.25bn in overall revenue, €107.5m will be distributed to the clubs as follows.

UEFA Europa League – champions and main paths
Each club participating in the qualifying rounds will receive the following amounts per round played:
• preliminary round – €220,000
• first qualifying round – €240,000
• second qualifying round – €260,000
• third qualifying round – €280,000
• play-offs – €300,000 (eliminated clubs only). No solidarity payment will be made to the winners of this round. However, they will retain the payments received for the preliminary, first, second and third qualifying rounds, as applicable.

I have highlighted the parts that refer to the potential cumulative payment terms. Additionally, if we were to go through each stage at home, then we would not need to spend much of the payment on flights, accommodation etc.

Edited by Phillips455

Sounds correct. You get €220,000 for the prelimanary round, €240,000 for the 1st qualifying round, then €260,000 for the 2nd qualifying round, €280,000 for the 3rd qualifying round and €300,000 for the play offs. If we make it to the Play-offs then we would earn over £1 million. Get to the Group stage and its a further €2,920,000 with more money for each win or draw within this stage.

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Distribution_(from_2021–22_to_2023–24)
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/stakeholders/news/0253-0f8e6d83afa2-0904576faee6-1000--2019-20-uefa-club-competitions-revenue-distribution-system/?referrer=%2Finsideuefa%2Fstakeholders%2Fclubs%2Fnews%2Fnewsid%3D2616265
Cheers. So he was right when he said they had doubled their money by getting through to the next round and meant qualifying for the group stages when he talked about a million euros.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
11 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Cheers. So he was right when he said they had doubled their money by getting through to the next round and meant qualifying for the group stages when he talked about a million euros.

Yeah, the only point to note is that the play off fee is only paid if you lose. So if you go out at that stage you get €300,000 but if you win you get €2,920,000 plus potential extras. It puts our last 2 play off losses into perspective.

15 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

There is not much i can add, unlike @capt_oats who will undoubtedly will have a treasure trove of the most recent Glentoran games highlights and stats to break them down.

Sorry to disappoint but other than them being from Northern Ireland and Bigi having signed for them I have zero additional info about Glentoran.

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sorry to disappoint but other than them being from Northern Ireland and Bigi having signed for them I have zero additional info about Glentoran.

You've let Philips down, you've let the rest of the community down, but worst of all ... you've let yourself down

image.thumb.png.8e10230bc32c64c9cb3b5e7bd1033e9c.png