Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Newcastle being interested is intriguing. I wonder if we've sounded out loaning him out there. 

tbh having witnessed the quality of football in Scotland at the moment any player who got the chance to get out and play in a decent league should jump at the chance

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This is a very interesting shout, well fan for life. Do you think we'd require some sort of loan fee for this move to happen?

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'm no expert on these kind of matters but as a ballpark figure we should be looking at around £5 million imo. 

Many years later, this patter still brings a smile to my face. 

Small loan fee, followed by an obligation to buy for £5m. I don't why nobody has ever thought of it before. 

Edited by Desp

8 minutes ago, santheman said:

tbh having witnessed the quality of football in Scotland at the moment any player who got the chance to get out and play in a decent league should jump at the chance

I was actually thinking about this and I sadly came to conclusion that if I was the player I would also consider things like:

Staying close to home is a big thing for him.

Celtic win trophies and leagues 

Celtic play in the Champions League every year. 

Turnbull could go to say Newcastle but even I don’t think he is good enough to play for an English team in the Champions League or A team likely to win trophies on a regular basis. 

Would rather he went south but the appeal of Celtic is there for all to see...

Are Motherwell in decent shape financially? If they are back in with almost the same bid after a year and a big injury I'd say that's a good deal. 

I'm not one for soft spots for teams. I hate my own team so I'm in no rush to enjoy others but there's always been something about Motherwell I like.

27 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

Are Motherwell in decent shape financially? If they are back in with almost the same bid after a year and a big injury I'd say that's a good deal. 

I'm not one for soft spots for teams. I hate my own team so I'm in no rush to enjoy others but there's always been something about Motherwell I like.

We are fine. There were some troubling financial statements that only concerned themselves with the last year. But taking into account previous profits we have aren't struggling for money.

We got a good fee for James Scott and have sold on a good few youth players too.  We paid off a soft loan far quicker than we had to.

Obviously coronavirus is squeezing us like everyone else but I think we knew we were going to sell Turnbull. For me the money is decent and while it is a shame he has picked Celtic it is what it is. And i don't necessarily blame Turnbull for picking them. £3m is still a large sum for Celtic so he should expect to play in the first team. It isn't like Lewis Morgan where they paid a tenth of that then loaned him back.

43 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

We're the fucking good guys

30 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We're the fucking good guys

Off topic but I've got a squad signed 2005 cup final shirt lying about somewhere with my alleged uncle Phil on it anaw. 

I know you were desperate to know that.

1 hour ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

Buckled at this :lol:

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Celtic play in the Champions League every year. 

I agree with all your points and if Turnbull chooses Celtic because of personal reasons then that is perfectly fine for him to do that.

I debate this with people though that Celtic are guaranteed Champions league football. They are guaranteed the chance to qualify for it. I haven't worked it out but I'd guess they have a 50/50 chance of qualifying for the groups most seasons.

Another point of the appeal of Champions league is to get to play against a Bayern or a Barcelona, that is great but it is only 6 games if you even qualify. I would say you can put Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs and Chelsea in that category of 'super clubs' too. At Newcastle he is guaranteed to play 12 games every year against this opposition and on top of that his run of the mill games are not Ross County and Hamilton but are Everton, Leeds Utd or Leicester. The most unappealing game in the EPL is maybe playing Burnley, that is comparable to Aberdeen in Scotland which would be deemed Celtics biggest fixture after Rangers. There are many more big games if you are at any EPL club than there is if you are at one of the Old Firm.

28 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I agree with all your points and if Turnbull chooses Celtic because of personal reasons then that is perfectly fine for him to do that.

I debate this with people though that Celtic are guaranteed Champions league football. They are guaranteed the chance to qualify for it. I haven't worked it out but I'd guess they have a 50/50 chance of qualifying for the groups most seasons.

Another point of the appeal of Champions league is to get to play against a Bayern or a Barcelona, that is great but it is only 6 games if you even qualify. I would say you can put Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs and Chelsea in that category of 'super clubs' too. At Newcastle he is guaranteed to play 12 games every year against this opposition and on top of that his run of the mill games are not Ross County and Hamilton but are Everton, Leeds Utd or Leicester. The most unappealing game in the EPL is maybe playing Burnley, that is comparable to Aberdeen in Scotland which would be deemed Celtics biggest fixture after Rangers. There are many more big games if you are at any EPL club than there is if you are at one of the Old Firm.

Celtic have qualified for the CL group stages in four of the last ten years.

I'm maybe overrating due to a) not seeing him since January and b) seeing Motherwell since January but I reckon James Scott can rate his chances of a Scotland call up pretty highly if he kicks on this season, wherever he ends up. 

A superior footballer to Shankland imo and fairly similar to Dykes and Burke.

10 hours ago, ropy said:

Polworth will be our saviour

He'll have to be.

I like Polworth a lot and we'll be fine with him in midfield but he's hardly kicked a ball since March and if we have to drop him in against Glentoran, there is a huge risk there...