Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I take it this is a parody of how ridiculous people are being?

Not really. I am being serious. 

It highlights the gulf between what a Scottish player is worth and players from pretty much any other key league in Europe.  Going over old ground but if Turnbull had the same hype from a championship team he would be transferred for anything between £5 and £15m. 

But we will be lucky to get £3m + add ons. Is what it is but most Well fans genuinely believe Turnbull is the real deal. As an example we sell Scott to Hull for £1.5m and rumours are that having played only a handful of average games for them Everton and other Premiership clubs are sniffing about. 

Anyway I am quite sure after last time around both clubs will be trying to keep everything under wraps until a medical is passed and a contract signed. But I would not roll over if I was Motherwell. Got to think of the lad himself but we still have almost 2 years left on his contract so if Celtic start to low ball us or should I say when Celtic start to low ball us I would like to see us walk away. 

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Not really. I am being serious. 

f716b9eec295def91a0747cff935c504.gif.b6a487167fcf60de876a807e73110388.gif

Turnbull is clearly quality but he's played 39 senior games at the age of 21, all at Scottish Premiership level. 

Havertz is a month older, has 100 Bundesliga appearances, has broken two goal age records in the Bundesliga, has 7 caps for Germany, and has 7 goals in 11 Europa League games, plus Champions League appearances. 

They're in different stratospheres, so aye, Havertz is 20x the player Turnbull is. One is already one of the best AMs in Europe, the other, if youre being cruel, hasn't even proven himself in the Scottish top flight yet.

I personally think £3.25 million represents a fair fee and beyond that, it probably meets a release clause in Turnbull's contract. 

Last summer, when his move broke down, I don't think I would be alone in thinking that our chance to get a transfer fee of that size might be gone and we're a selling club, it would be massively detrimental to the club to see our best talent at least since McFadden, perhaps longer, go for a fee less than he was worth.

For me, there's no point in worrying how much he'd have gone for from another club, or for another league, because that's hypothetical. Players go for more money from Championship clubs in England, because whether we like it or not, it's a higher standard and a wealthier league - our market is what it is.

For context, John McGinn went to Aston Villa for half a million less than this deal and he had already played over 200 career games, won the Scottish Cup and had a handful of Scotland caps.

Losing Jamie Murphy to Sheffield United for £110,000 with six months remaining on his contract was a shafting. Almost double our record transfer fee isn't.

I think you'd have to be incredibly naive to think a same-bid release clause wasn't included when he extended his contract in March.

3 million felt about right last summer.

He's had major knee surgery and played about half a dozen games since then, and we appear to be getting at least the same amount, soooo find it difficult to be too worried about the fee.

Would rather he didn't go to Celtic, would always rather have more money, but Turnbull's been more than fair to us, so standing in his way demanding another, bigger fee, isn't really on.

If £3m + sell-on seemed decent enough last summer (and once the saltyness of him going to Celtic died down, I think that's where most 'Well fans were), it can't realistically be worse now. If we get the same as last summer's offer after him being out with a serious "injury" - that doesn't look bad at all. If he progresses as most think he will, the deal will obliterate anything that's gone before for us.

ETA: @thisGRAEME read my mind

Edited by Swello

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

f716b9eec295def91a0747cff935c504.gif.b6a487167fcf60de876a807e73110388.gif

Turnbull is clearly quality but he's played 39 senior games at the age of 21, all at Scottish Premiership level. 

Havertz is a month older, has 100 Bundesliga appearances, has broken two goal age records in the Bundesliga, has 7 caps for Germany, and has 7 goals in 11 Europa League games, plus Champions League appearances. 

They're in different stratospheres, so aye, Havertz is 20x the player Turnbull is. One is already one of the best AMs in Europe, the other, if youre being cruel, hasn't even proven himself in the Scottish top flight yet.

We will agree to disagree on this RG. 
Turnbull as a teenager hit 15 goals from midfield in his debut season in the Scottish top flight. It may not be the bundesliga but you are being disingenuous to dismiss is as a poor standard. He did not even play a full season. 
Time will tell who is right and if he goes to Celtic and does not move on then £3m is about right plus add ons / sell on clause. If however he moves from Celtic In a couple of years to down south for £10m+ then it will turn out to be a bargain. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Turnbull as a teenager hit 15 goals from midfield in his debut season in the Scottish top flight. It may not be the bundesliga but you are being disingenuous to dismiss is as a poor standard. He did not even play a full season. 
Time will tell who is right and if he goes to Celtic and does not move on then £3m is about right plus add ons / sell on clause. If however he moves from Celtic In a couple of years to down south for £10m+ then it will turn out to be a bargain. 

Hes 21, hasnt played a full season of senior football, and has suffered a major injury.

You're comparing to players who were already capped by Scotland and proven top flight players (Brown), or genuine world class talent (Havertz).

I dont think we will ever agree. If Celtic sell him for £10m+, likely after multiple seasons of being a star player, multiple caps, and CL appearances, I still wouldn't think that makes Motherwell selling him for £3.25m a bad deal.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes 21, hasnt played a full season of senior football, and has suffered a major injury.

You're comparing to players who were already capped by Scotland and proven top flight players (Brown), or genuine world class talent (Havertz).

I dont think we will ever agree. If Celtic sell him for £10m+, likely after multiple seasons of being a star player, multiple caps, and CL appearances, I still wouldn't think that makes Motherwell selling him for £3.25m a bad deal.

He had preventative surgery correctly so. 
Were it not for that he would have played a not dissimilar amount of games to Havertz and probably been called up to the senior Scotland squad. 
I am not saying Turnbull is worth anything near £10m but £3m to me seems a bargain given we know if he fulfils his potential. That is what clubs are buying right now. He is not the finished article but all the signs are promising. 

Completely away from the Turnbull chat but in some ways related. I read an article recently on how West Ham spent £70m on 2 players last season and I did not even recognise their names. 

For a premiership club to pay even £5m for Turnbull is a no brainer and if it did not work out (which imho is unlikely) then they would hardly even notice that kind of money. 

Edited by welldaft

15 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

There are numerous English teams and at least one German team monitoring his situation 

Celtic will not get it all their own way 

Yes. Yes they will. 

People seem to forget the most important part of this deal. David Turnbull himself. He'll go to the club that he wants to go. Now, its not for me to give that name away, but if you were to guess a club that play in green & white and play in the East End of Glasgow, you wouldn't be far wrong. 

"Monitoring his situation". Daily Record pish. 

19 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I can see your point to an extent. But unfortunately our place in the footballing world is selling to the club who get the chance to make the real money off him. Bigger clubs, down south or further afield will be far more willing to pay the fees you mention after they've seen him win trophies, play well in Old Firm and European games.

I think he didn't play the full season is a bit generous. He played in 31 games. His 15 goals included, Dundee x4 (relegated), St. Mirren x2 (playoffs), Accies x3 (10th), Livingston x2 (9th)  and St. Johstone (7th).

So these scouts have hardly seen him properly flourish in a game against Celtic or Rangers. Only 3 of his goals were against top six sides, one of which was a free-kick the Hearts 'keeper dropped in.

Add to that two knee operations by the time he's 21.

I've absolutely loved watching playing for us and it'll be a tough watch to see him play for that mob, but I really can not grasp people thinking £3.25 million plus add ons isn't good business.

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

Yes. Yes they will. 

People seem to forget the most important part of this deal. David Turnbull himself. He'll go to the club that he wants to go. Now, its not for me to give that name away, but if you were to guess a club that play in green & white and play in the East End of Glasgow, you wouldn't be far wrong. 

Ahh well we’ll just have to wait and see .  If he plays or not on Thursday night will be a pointer 

Yes. Yes they will. 
Aye, I obviously know nothing of the guy but from hearing him speak and given what happened last time he strikes me as he would rather stay in Scotland than move abroad so I'd be stunned if he want anywhere bar Celtic

Turnbull is now older, more mature, has never had an injury and now has a bionic knee which is likely to reduce the risk of having one in that area.  Celtic want him before he plays a European game.  Motherwell are in a strong bargaining position to at least insist on the same deal as last time.  Any staging of the fee should have to result in a potentially greater sum.  20% sell on should be reasonable.

Wish he would go to England.