Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Turnbull reminds me a lot of what John McGinn has become at Aston Villa.

He's a very good goalscoring midfielder who can and will shoot from anywhere, but there's a fair bit of work to do to develop the rest of his game.

Some of the "opinions" on this are wildly out there.

Stating "that's just my opinion" or "it's all about opinions" doesn't validate your awful terrible fantasy situation you made up. 

21 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Some of the "opinions" on this are wildly out there.

Stating "that's just my opinion" or "it's all about opinions" doesn't validate your awful terrible fantasy situation you made up. 

has anyone proposed a 'bidding war' yet?

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

That's why I said in hindsight. Celtic have received far more than their money's worth.

In that case, they have. On the other hand, they spent over £10m on Eyal Berkovic and Rafael Scheidt. Any signing is gamble, for them, us, or anyone else, and that's  why everyone pays as little as they can get away with.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

20 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

of course. Desp's thread on twitter has about 6 folk not knowing what a release clause is. 

I see. I see the belief that players getting talked about on twitter and forums being considered by clubs spending money is still doing the rounds as well.

That thread is incredible.

1 hour ago, Gallus Numpty said:

In that case, they have. On the other hand, they spent over £10m on Eyal Berkovic and Rafael Scheidt. Any signing is gamble, for them, us, or anyone else, and that's  why everyone pays as little as they can get away with.

Celtic would happily pay more if he was coming from a foreign league. When you're told for years that your players are only worth 'x' amount then you're programmed to believe it.

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Celtic would happily pay more if he was coming from a foreign league. When you're told for years that your players are only worth 'x' amount then you're programmed to believe it.

The price being reported is much the same as last season and was accepted why would Celtic pay more?

If you're paying a player circa £1k a week, I'd imagine it would be a difficult sell to the player to his agent to say we'll only accept bids north of £5m for you. 

If this deal goes through it will be, I believe, the third highest transfer fee,between Scottish clubs, of all time. 

Edited by Desp

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

If you're paying a player circa £1k a week, I'd imagine it would be a difficult sell to the player to his agent to say we'll only accept bids north of £5m for you. 

If this deal goes through it will be, I believe, the third highest transfer fee,between Scottish clubs, of all time. 

Initial costs are based off the wage, that's true. You also have to look at how important that player is to the team.

Horrendous injury aside I'll be amazed if Ferguson leaves us for anything less than the rumoured Turnbull fee 

of course. Desp's thread on twitter has about 6 folk not knowing what a release clause is. 
Is that the thread that started from Viva Motherwell's tweet? Just come across that myself - ktthegoalie (or whatever he's called) is quite clearly a fud.

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Celtic would happily pay more if he was coming from a foreign league.

Yes they would, but only because they'd have to. Foreign teams generally have much more to lose in terms of prize money etc. if they lose their star players and can't replace them. That's what sets the general level of player values in any given league, not how much the buyer can afford.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

16 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Yes they would, but only because they'd have to. Foreign teams generally have much more to lose in terms of prize money etc. if they lose their star players and can't replace them. That's what sets the general level of player values in any given league, not how much the buyer can afford.

It's the same principle?

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

Turnbull earns more than he did last year so the fee should be increased by that ratio

He earns more than he did last year because he's ensured we're getting millions for him, instead of several hundred grand because, had he not signed a new deal, he could be speaking to clubs on 1 December this year about moving at the end of his contract. In that scenario, we're on to about £300k in a development fee. 

It amazes me that there's people out there who think Motherwell F.C hold all of the aces here.