Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The only thing better than to play Rangers at Ibrox is to play a recently beaten Rangers at Ibrox having just lost the 1st game of the season. I very much doubt they would come on the pitch with a view to making amends and show it was just a blip. 

In many ways would like St Mirren to win tonight but not if it makes our thumping on Saturday even more inevitable...

How often do we see this when we are due to play one of the Old Firm, especially Rangers? They lose the game just before they play us and we suffer the inevitable backlash. We had little to no chance on Saturday anyway but even less now and as sure as night follows day, we will be on the end of a hammering.

26 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The only thing better than to play Rangers at Ibrox is to play a recently beaten Rangers at Ibrox having just lost the 1st game of the season. I very much doubt they would come on the pitch with a view to making amends and show it was just a blip. 

In many ways would like St Mirren to win tonight but not if it makes our thumping on Saturday even more inevitable...

Larry David Sigh GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

Tonight’s score shows what might have been if we had put in the effort in the last round, imagine going into a semi with no Glasgow teams

Don’t be silly Ropy. We only get to finals when Celtic and Rangers are waiting patiently for us. If we had beaten St Johnstone then Celtic and Rangers would still have been in the competition even after tonight. 

Jealous another team will win a trophy make no mistake. 

That is a shocker of a result for us. Pile on all your savings on Rangers scoring on Saturday in under 5 minutes and 8+ goals. Our season is starting to become the stuff of nightmares. Ross C can beat Celtic and St Mirren can beat Rangers. We cannot beat anyone. Woe is me 😢

Edited by welldaft

2 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Echoing others, I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if there was anything in this Seedorf chat.
I would say he's got a bit of the Chris Humphrey about him in that he's so rapid that if a coach was able to coax any kind of football ability out of him he'd be an absolute weapon at our level and probably up to the lower half Championship of the kind of clubs that are being mentioned.
I don't see it, having made my mind up about him at Dundee away in the cup last season when he came on as a second half sub and was so comically bad that I would have advocated subbing him off again and never seeing him in a match day squad again. He hasn't been quite as bad this season but we've seen so little of him recently, despite our wide players publicly being called out as not playing well, that we can only assume he's still shite.
Realistically, I'd take shifting him off the wage bill at this point and either having a punt on another player or giving the money to Allan Campbell, probably leaning towards the latter.

Funny you should say that, as I was thinking about the game at Rugby Park just before Christmas last year, when he came on for Hylton and it felt like we’d had a man sent off and had to see our lead out with 10 men so clearly it’s a recurring theme.

I don’t think he’s in Humphrey’s league pace wise. He’s not quite as bad as Petravicius was, but he’s in a similar ilk where his pace is talked about, but I reckon he’s only reasonably fast.

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Don’t be silly Ropy. We only get to finals when Celtic and Rangers are waiting patiently for us. If we had beaten St Johnstone then Celtic and Rangers would still have been in the competition even after tonight. 

Jealous another team will win a trophy make no mistake. 

That is a shocker of a result for us. Pile on all your savings on Rangers scoring on Saturday in under 5 minutes and 8+ goals. Our season is starting to become the stuff of nightmares. Ross C can beat Celtic and St Mirren can beat Rangers. We cannot beat anyone. Woe is me 😢

I would like to think that Saints kicked their way through the game and it will be a patched up team on Saturday.

Folk talking about the OF being out, don’t have much faith in us beating any of the teams left currently never mind the OF. Would be even worse losing a final when you know it’s one you can win.

Saturday is only going to go two ways now. Either rangers will steamroll us 5 or 6-0 or they’ll remain shaky and we’ll sneak a draw (Robinson doesn’t beat the OF in the league).

45 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Folk talking about the OF being out, don’t have much faith in us beating any of the teams left currently never mind the OF. Would be even worse losing a final when you know it’s one you can win.

Saturday is only going to go two ways now. Either rangers will steamroll us 5 or 6-0 or they’ll remain shaky and we’ll sneak a draw (Robinson doesn’t beat the OF in the league).

Correct, we wouldn't have beaten any of the sides remaining in the competition and losing to any of them at that stage would be alot harder to take than losing to Celtic. 

That said our domestic Cup record is dreadful and it's galling that one of Hibs, Livingston and both Saints clubs will now with ANOTHER trophy since we last managed it. It's true that we get absolutely no luck in Cups with regards to draws and I have no doubt whatsoever that had we got past St.Johnstone then the Old Firm would still be in the Cup. But we also lack the necessary bottle and character to be a good Cup club. We are riddled with a losers mentality from top to bottom.

Edited by MJC

31 minutes ago, Swello said:

If Rangers were to hand pick a fixture after blowing it in a cup.....

Just what I said on the match thread, playing us at Ibrox is the best possible fixture Rangers could have hoped for if they want to 'bounce back'.

Anyone who thinks we are getting anything other than soundly beaten on Saturday is kidding themselves on.

We're so pessimistic about Rangers, maybe quite rightly as we're baws against them. I don't care or think it matters what their last result was. We always shite the bed v them.

Yet every time we lose a cup tie we seem to play the massive what if game. "That would have been our draw", "What a chance we'd have now" as if we are world beaters that stumbled on this occasion despite us losing to jobbers on our level on an almost constant basis.

I always wonder how folk end up going from one end of the stick to the other in 30 mins.

Much as last nights result was fun, and fair play to St Mirren, it’s depressing to read their fans celebrating a victory against Sevco, looking forward to a cup semi, and being excited by their team as it improves game by game.

We, on the other hand, can’t score, are leaking goals, can’t buy a win and are a shambles at the minute, with no prospect whatsoever of beating either of the Old Firm anytime soon. The 6 free points were a good laugh but without them we’d be in trouble.