Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

As well as the above game, I only ever saw us play the old Airdrie once too, in their final season, where I believe Las scored a late winner for Airdrie with an OG.

Was that when the tannoy boy shouted Taxi for Cowan which was a program Tam was involved in at the time.  Wasn’t a bad jibe.

1 hour ago, ZX1886 said:

You mean the Clydebank Tribute Act?

I thought that with the introduction of the group system in the league cup that we might actually get to play them again but it seems there is an SPFL conspiracy to keep us apart.

Would you fancy us for a win?

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Id forgotten all about Danny Murphy and Trevor Molloy. They make some of our recent signings look half decent.

Was it Molloy who only joined us because he was looking to open a chippy in Glasgow?

That was Paul Keegan, one of the Irish league trio. All of whom were absolute pish.

ETA: Pretty sure we paid actual money for Molloy as well!

Edited by Londonwell

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

I kinda like all provincial sides simply because they suffer similarly to us.  In fact arguably given our relative recent success they suffer more.  So St Mirren, Killie, Falkirk and Dunfermline are OK with me. 

Like most I reserve my disdain for the Old Firm.  As they dominate the game so much, could not give a flying f*ck about other Scottish clubs and clog up the airwaves taking approx 80-90% of all Radio coverage. 99.9% if it is BBC Sportsound.  Sorry I meant BBC Old Firm...

Don't even mind the other city clubs such as Aberdeen.  Probably favour Hibs over Hearts and Dundee over Dundee United. 

I do tend to hate the teams and fans of clubs in the immediate aftermath of a defeat. So that happens quite often, but it dissipates after a few days unless it is Rangers or Celtic as above.

I moved to Stirling after Uni for a job in IT, most of the people about me were graduates too and tended to support Hibs, United, St Johnstone, St Mirren and Hearts, depending where they came from, there were dribs and drabs of old firm fans but not many.  I always wondered if there was a bit of Eugenics to it all, that in actual fact the diddies were some sort of superior sentient beings.

18 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

That was Paul Keegan, one of the Irish league trio. All of whom were absolute pish.

ETA: Pretty sure we paid actual money for Molloy as well!

It's a wholesome story. http://www.motherwellnet.com/database/player-archive/k/paul-keegan/

85746211_ScreenShot2020-12-18at16_00_45.png.bcbe919c946326052a1a7aaadea9c615.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Was that when the tannoy boy shouted Taxi for Cowan which was a program Tam was involved in at the time.  Wasn’t a bad jibe.

It was aye I remember that. I'm sure Owen Coyle scored Airdrie's other goal that night from a penalty. We were heavily linked with Ian McCall (who was Airdrie manager at the time) to replace the recently sacked Billy Davies but that never materialised.

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'd like to take a moment to say how in awe I am of folk who can remember games they were at 30 odd years ago.

I've got a weirdly selective memory in that I can remember things in vivid detail from the late 80's, through to the mid-90's - which was by far my favourite time watching us - but after that, despite still going just as regularly, I have lots of gaps (like it was news to me that Mo Ross had played for us :lol:). Basically, I've got a clearer memory of Mario Dorner and Paul Baker than I do of Kristian Vadocz and Michael McGlinchy.

32 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've got a weirdly selective memory in that I can remember things in vivid detail from the late 80's

I've just got a getting old fast memory. Used to be able to remember all sorts of useless trivia from 30 years ago no bother, now I'm not even sure I'll be able to remember the way to my work when we go back.

On 17/12/2020 at 19:03, capt_oats said:

"The Motherwell substitute's goal celebrated in the worst possible way by some supporters" 😀

You lads have had some great wins in significant matches against the OF over the years. The play off pumping, the Scott McDonald helicopter Sunday, and that 3-0 May 1991 win when rangers were close to winning the title.

That must have been so good; their team full of superstars and fans filling three and a half sides of the ground all turning up for a routine win and party but having to watch Motherwell give them a doing.

In terms of teams you hate, I remember buying a fanzine at motherwell (waiting for the Great Leap Forward?) in the early 90's and being surprised how much hatred there was for Hearts. Far more than any other club. Think I've still got it somewhere.

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You lads have had some great wins in significant matches against the OF over the years. The play off pumping, the Scott McDonald helicopter Sunday, and that 3-0 May 1991 win when rangers were close to winning the title.

That must have been so good; their team full of superstars and fans filling three and a half sides of the ground all turning up for a routine win and party but having to watch Motherwell give them a doing.

Not a McLean team (the ones in that earlier post were) but this is a great example of the genre.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

48 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

In terms of teams you hate, I remember buying a fanzine at motherwell (waiting for the Great Leap Forward?) in the early 90's and being surprised how much hatred there was for Hearts. Far more than any other club. Think I've still got it somewhere.

That makes you a ‘Well fan 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

To be fair, Hearts at that point were a very easy team to hate - and I still enjoy getting one over them more than most teams TBH. When we finally started beating them fairly regularly under McLean and McLeish, it was fucking brilliant but once it became a lot more common (and the fact that Hearts have been down a couple of times and were a bit diminished) It took a lot of the heat out of it and I doubt the younger supporters are into it in the same way. Given the number of times I've trudged along Dalry Road in abject misery, a win at Tynecastle is still a highlight for me - and living in Edinburgh for a while as I did, it was always a bigger deal.

I think it's fair to say though that it is one of those slightly awkward one way rivalries (or at least it was by the time I started going in the mid 80's) - I think Hearts supporters were probably a bit mystified by it.

Airdrie is a funny one - that was a rivalry that had died out before they did -( I can remember it though and it was even good pumping them in the Tennants Sixes in those days) and was never replaced. It was be good to get them in the cup sometime but I doubt it would really feel like a derby now, it would probably not even live up to the mild rivalry  that exists between Accies and Us.

Edited by Swello

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I mentioned the Hearts thing in the post above yours. For me it stems from their side in the 80's kicking us off the park in various games but somehow getting away with it and we seemed to be the team getting players sent off it was so frustrating to watch and I think the players ended up getting frustrated as well and retaliating (I'm looking at you Nick Cusack). I have seen comments from slightly older posters though suggesting it stems from the 70's for them. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it's a one-sided thing and Hearts fans might not feel the same way, probably because they tended to come out on top until we improved in the early 90's and started beating them regularly.

I'm fortunate that I've never seen a team winning the league in a game against us although one of the downsides of the top six split is there's an increased chance of it happening. I've got no interest in who wins the league if it's not Motherwell but I don't want to see opposing fans celebrating it. It will probably happen some time but I've been at Skippy Sunday, the 3-0 game against Rangers and the Bank Holiday game at Ibrox and it's great to come out on top in these games when everyone expects the game to be a procession to the title. Rangers fans even had a procession to the city centre planned to celebrate the 9 in a row win after the Bank Holiday game in 97.

I should be glad we did not lose a second goal and the one point in the 94th minute. That would have been typical. But I am absolutely raging we lost yet another late goal. 2-1 is almost respectable. 3-1 is just another routine loss. 

I never thought I would be so angry as I thought we would lose by 5+ today. But losing a goal in the last minute sums up the last month or so. We are a soft touch. It is almost a question of which player will f*ck it up today. Because sure as night follows day one of them will. 

They take those 6 points and 6 goals back and we are in massive danger. The next 4 games are crucial. Anything less than 6 points and even I think it will be time to look for a new Manager. 

St Mirren, Livi and even Hamilton are showing they can get wins. Ross C will sack Kettlewell this week and McGregor will back them in the transfer window as he does. We need to get out finger out and bloody quickly. 

Edit to add Ross C have sacked Kettlewell ! 

Edited by welldaft

Tommy Wright going to Ross County would be bad for us. Partly because he’d make them better but if we don’t improve he’s a stick on to replace Robinson. Alternatively I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat Aberdeen 3-0 out of nowhere again through the week.