Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

When do we play you next? You’re in for a treat.... 

This our results with Duffy.

Screenshot_20201223-085435_Chrome.jpg.3dca7143bad029bc7c78eb1fa4e8a326.jpg

Believe its 31 goals conceded in 15 games, including defeats to Montrose and Forfar.

Once he dropped out the side around December we pushed on finished 6th 😂

12 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I know he had a relatively product evening against Glentoran with a goal and being involved in the build up to another two, but domestically, other than the goal Lewis put on a plate, I can’t actually remember him doing anything of note domestically this season.

Like, I’m genuinely struggling to think of him playing a good pass, beating his man, even getting into a good position. 

He hit the post in the opening game against County but other than that...I have nothing.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Feels a bit weird to do this when you literally take a team photo on the pitch before every single game.

I guess on match days your risk is already relatively high if somebody has caught the lurgy since their test, and you're unlikely to make it any higher by standing beside them for 30 seconds. On non-match days, players still have to socially distance while they're not training, because there's obviously no way to know whose next test might be positive.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

He hit the post in the opening game against County but other than that...I have nothing.

giphy.gif

Usually when someone hits the post there's a hint of hard luck about it. That finish looks worse every time I watch it. He's not had a good season at all, partly down to our system I think but in large part down to his attitude.

To be fair to Long, we really haven't given him too many chances like that this season. Not having DT's eye for a pass probably doesn't help as his playstyle seems to really depend on these kind of through balls where he's playing on the shoulder. Sticking him out wide where he's so obviously not comfortable also doesn't help. I think Long's been the player to suffer most from us losing James Scott last January. He brought a different kind of threat across the front line which I think bought Long room to play his game. (Apologies if this isn't an original point)

All this being said, his attitude has looked really poor in all the games I watched this season, for which there's no real excuse. There's definitely a player in there if he just worked a bit harder and looked a bit more interested. Some of his play is so selfish sometimes too. He seems to shoot any opening he gets, even if it's 35 yards out on his weak foot. Some of the fouls he commits are ridiculous. There's no doubt in my mind that if he started working harder and became more of a team player, he flourish at this level.

Edited by Mr Hahn

I won’t question his attitude because I don’t know if his hang dog is just his natural demeanour, but he is not sharp enough.  In the example above he takes an extra touch, that happens frequently, other times he doesn’t get the ball oot of his feet or he doesn’t set himself for the shot.  If his feet were a bit quicker he would be more effective.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Wasn't there chat of us waiving some of Kipre's sell on for taking Lang on loan for the season?

If so, I hope we get a refund.

That was the chat when we were rumoured to be interested in taking him on a permanent rather than a loan.

We had supposedly made a cash bid and the natural assumption was that we'd use any potential sell on we'd be due as a leverage given Wigan were (still are?) in administration and seemed to be having a full blown fire sale to get cash in.

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

Usually when someone hits the post there's a hint of hard luck about it. That finish looks worse every time I watch it. He's not had a good season at all, partly down to our system I think but in large part down to his attitude.

To be fair to Long, we really haven't given him too many chances like that this season. Not having DT's eye for a pass probably doesn't help as his playstyle seems to really depend on these kind of through balls where he's playing on the shoulder. Sticking him out wide where he's so obviously not comfortable also doesn't help. I think Long's been the player to suffer most from us losing James Scott last January. He brought a different kind of threat across the front line which I think bought Long room to play his game. (Apologies if this isn't an original point)

All this being said, his attitude has looked really poor in all the games I watched this season, for which there's no real excuse. There's definitely a player in there if he just worked a bit harder and looked a bit more interested. Some of his play is so selfish sometimes too. He seems to shoot any opening he gets, even if it's 35 yards out on his weak foot. Some of the fouls he commits are ridiculous. There's no doubt in my mind that if he started working harder and became more of a team player, he flourish at this level.

I agree with all of this.

Like @ropy I'm loathe to question his attitude as it may well be the case that his face is naturally torn and I'm not going to make assumptions about the guy but it's been a weird season for him. The contract offer sat on the table for an age until he eventually signed up and even when he's been given an opportunity to start he's ended up a peripheral figure on the park.

When our front 3 has worked this season it's largely been Watt, Cole and Lang. Similarly the graft that Watt's put in has kind of shown Long up a bit IMO.

I get that there's a lack of football being played this season, we don't have the chance to bump players down into the reserves to sharpen up, build their confidence a bit or simply get them a bit fitter. It's essentially the training ground or a match day. For players who are out the picture it's really on them to make the most of any chance they get and there are a few (Long being one) who just haven't done that.

Edited by capt_oats

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/preston-striker-louis-moult-has-light-end-tunnel-his-recovery-serious-knee-injury-3061949

Would be happy to get him in on loan even a half fit Moult would add some quality up front with Lang being recalled but I doubt Preston would want to risk him picking up another injury with his contract being up at the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

How anyone that pays on a weekly basis can motivate themselves to watch our matches is beyond me...

Because drinking in front of Coronation Street gets frowned on, whereas the football? Justified 

At least tonight stopped the rot of defeats. Other than Main hitting the bar, I don’t think we looked that bothered at any point at the back which was frustrating.

The 5-3-2 certainly helped us defensively but killed our creativity. No issue with Grimmy’s performance tonight but when he’s your entire left hand side it isn’t great.

In those circumstances, you need your centre mids to be creative and Polworth was absolutely rotten tonight. Have questioned him being on the bench the past couple of games but that tells us why. His once great delivery has been absolutely pathetic of late.

Also, O’Hara is 100% a centre half and not a midfielder.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Polworth will be the death of me.

I canny help but dislike him despite knowing he can be good.

He is a clever player and when on his game one of the best creative players we have had in recent years.....but..

I am convinced if the ball was 2 yards from the goal line and all of humanity apart from him had been wiped out he would miss !

I am literally shite at football but I know I would have scored more goals than him given his opportunities. 

Edited by welldaft

I am constantly amazed at how professional footballers cannot shoot.  A massive percentage of shots fly over the bar, the goal has never been up there.  Many players cannot get any power behind their shot, and many more aim at the keeper.  The goal is 8 yards wide, stick the ball in the corner.