Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The Record were reporting there's a recall clause but then again they were also saying John Sheridan is their manager (he left over a month ago).

Ultimately he's their player so if they really want him back I'd imagine that's what will happen. Recall clause or not.

Basically it seems Joe Garner asked the club to cancel his contract to facilitate a move to India which hasn't gone through and Wigan are wanting Lang back as his replacement which is understandable given he's still their player and also they have their ongoing administration situation so they're probably limited in terms of who they can bring in.

As Robinson was saying to the press the other week, we're wanting some new faces in however we may have to "wheel and deal" in order to make that happen. I like Lang and IMO he's one of the successful signings of the summer (even though he's maybe not hit the levels we might have been expecting). The trade off is that we've brought Devante back and there's probably potential in a partnership with him and Watt.

Many thanks for clarification.

I'm pretty sad about this as I feel there is a player there who has some potential.

Academic at end of the day as he is Wigan's player. Oh well.

Saw on the BBC that they 3-0 wins have been suspended due to the appeals.

WTF is taking the spfl so long to act on everything? It took them ages to announce the punishment and now to act after the appeals.If these games need to be played we have missed a fair few mid weeks when they could have been. What will happen is through no fault of our own we will end up with having to play a ridiculous amount of games in a short period of time.

I am reading so much sh1t on social media saying they have no sympathy for Motherwell. I mean WTF. We had nothing to these decisions. We were due to play 2 games and against weakened sides. We would have happily done so. What if the games are replayed. We play against full strength teams ? That being the case if we have more than a handful of injuries I would just cite Covid and wait until They clear up before the rescheduled games. 

It is baffling and if the points are rescinded and the games played so be it. But for me that will be the last straw for Doncaster. He has to go. If I had deeper pockets I would back an appeal and and sue the SPFL for incompetence. 

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I am reading so much sh1t on social media saying they have no sympathy for Motherwell. I mean WTF. We had nothing to these decisions. We were due to play 2 games and against weakened sides. We would have happily done so. What if the games are replayed. We play against full strength teams ? That being the case if we have more than a handful of injuries I would just cite Covid and wait until They clear up before the rescheduled games. 

It is baffling and if the points are rescinded and the games played so be it. But for me that will be the last straw for Doncaster. He has to go. If I had deeper pockets I would back an appeal and and sue the SPFL for incompetence. 

To be fair any sensible Scottish football fan shouldn’t be aiming anything towards Motherwell here, this pantomime falls squarely at the feet of Doncaster and the SPFL. Knowing that there was the possibility of an appeals process, most likely a lengthy appeals process, they shouldn’t have awarded the points to Motherwell and Hamilton until everything was set in stone. For a professional organisation to have put themselves in this position is laughable, and the worst thing was you could have seen this exact scenario coming a mile away. 

16 minutes ago, welldaft said:

We were due to play 2 games and against weakened sides. We would have happily done so. What if the games are replayed. We play against full strength teams ? 

Thats what happened to us against Aberdeen earlier this season.

Game against them when they had however many (8?) it was out was postponed, and by the time we played them they had players recovered.

Best bit of this is the Motherwell fans who've been claiming its not unfair they get handed 6pts for nothing, now crying thats it totally unfair that they dont get 6pts for nothing.

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

To be fair any sensible Scottish football fan shouldn’t be aiming anything towards Motherwell here

While I quite agree, unfortunately I suspect a lot of them remember that the only thing any Motherwell official ever really said in public about it was Maurice Ross saying we should get the three points.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats what happened to us against Aberdeen earlier this season.

Game against them when they had however many (8?) it was out was postponed, and by the time we played them they had players recovered.

Best bit of this is the Motherwell fans who've been claiming its not unfair they get handed 6pts for nothing, now crying thats it totally unfair that they dont get 6pts for nothing.

The reality is that as we are playing shite 6 points and +6 goals was a godsend. I was elated when we got awarded the points at the time. 

It is worth pointing out that at the time these games were due to be played we were actually winning games. Now we have gone to the dogs.....

I also think it is worth noting that when a 3-0 forfeit was possibility Dundee United managed to field a team despite what was it up to 9 players being affected. I am not saying that St Mirren and Killie manipulated this to their advantage but one wonders if they would have tried to field a team. All too easy to say they cannot when they simply thought the game would be replayed and with a stronger side. For what it is worth I am quite sure Motherwell would have done the exact same thing. 

The other things that baffles me is that if the decision is yet to be reversed then why remove the points. I am sure legally they have done the right thing, although with the SPFL you just never know. But surely the points and 6 goals remain until the appeal decides otherwise.

It is a clusterfuck and if the decision is overturned Doncaster position surely is untenable. Although he seems to be made of Teflon. 

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The reality is that as we are playing shite 6 points and +6 goals was a godsend. I was elated when we got awarded the points at the time. 

It is worth pointing out that at the time these games were due to be played we were actually winning games. Now we have gone to the dogs.....

I also think it is worth noting that when a 3-0 forfeit was possibility Dundee United managed to field a team despite what was it up to 9 players being affected. I am not saying that St Mirren and Killie manipulated this to their advantage but one wonders if they would have tried to field a team. All too easy to say they cannot when they simply thought the game would be replayed and with a stronger side. For what it is worth I am quite sure Motherwell would have done the exact same thing. 

The other things that baffles me is that if the decision is yet to be reversed then why remove the points. I am sure legally they have done the right thing, although with the SPFL you just never know. But surely the points and 6 goals remain until the appeal decides otherwise.

It is a clusterfuck and if the decision is overturned Doncaster position surely is untenable. Although he seems to be made of Teflon. 

An awful lots of words to try and justify your crying over not getting 6 undeserved points chucked your way.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

IIRC that Dundee United fixture was played after the penalties had been imposed on Killie and St Mirren, so they probably expected the same punishment to come their way if they didn't fulfil the fixture. No brainer really to play that match with a weakened squad.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

An awful lots of words to try and justify your crying over not getting 6 undeserved points chucked your way.

If it makes you feel better.

I post too much in this message board. But 47,000 posts. At least I can console myself that I have some sort of life ! 

No response is required but if I had a hunch.....

Just now, Wilbur said:

IIRC that Dundee United fixture was played after the penalties had been imposed on Killie and St Mirren, so they probably expected the same punishment to come their way if they didn't fulfil the fixture. No brainer really to play that match with a weakened squad.

Exactly my point. 

Just now, welldaft said:

I post too much in this message board. But 47,000 posts. At least I can console myself that I have some sort of life ! 

*shrugs*

If I gave a single f**k about the opinion of a random poster, on an anonymous football forum, I'd care about this. I'm more than aware, and comfortable, with the fact I'm a sad b*****d.

Enjoy having a wee meltdown over not being handed 6pts though.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

If I gave a single f**k about the opinion of a random poster, on an anonymous football forum, I'd care about this. I'm more than aware, and comfortable, with the fact I'm a sad b*****d.

Enjoy having a wee meltdown over not being handed 6pts though.

You are responding to my post you muppet ! 
Don’t post sarcastic comments and I won’t respond. Simple. 

You think with near 50,000 posts you would know that by now. 

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

It's only 18 posts a day. Every day. For 7 years.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I suspect the majority of Motherwell fans did not seek the 6 points and would have had no issues if the case had been dealt with in a different way (although preferably quicker).  The subtle difference is that having been awarded the points, to see them removed at a later date is not without impact.

Fairness isn’t being discussed.

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's only 18 posts a day. Every day. For 7 years.

Only three on Xmas day, though, including this gem which you'd like to think was tongue in cheek coming from someone who just said "If I gave a single f**k about the opinion of a random poster, on an anonymous football forum"...

If I'm unfairly "voted" as the "worst" Saints poster of the year, thanks to votes from fellow Saints fans, despite me not even posting for the full year, then you'll hear from my lawyers.

If id bothered posting for the full year then it wouldn't even be close and id probably be challenging as one of the best. I spend a lot time on this forum so I don't deserve to be bottom.

53 minutes ago, welldaft said:

St Mirren had 3 players positive with Covid and the medical authorities determined the players that had to self isolate leaving St Mirren with less than 13 available players. St Mirren did not determine who had to self isolate. 

The whole thing is a shambles. All the Clubs were asked about a 3-0 forfeiture and the vast majority voted against such a punishment however the SPFL sub-committe issued that punishment against the wishes of their members. The delays on determining the outcome and the appeal are unacceptable as there has been plenty of time to play those games. Again the SPFL have been totally incompetent.

It is a bit of a farce, but in the SPFL's defence they had to make a decision and St Mirren and Killie were also within their rights to appeal.

There isn't any real middle ground - They couldn't say 'We'll maybe award 3 points, but it depends if there's an appeal' and St Mirren and Killie couldn't appeal a decision if it hadn't been made yet.

Word salad... Anyway, the best solution as a Motherwell fan is for us to get our finger out, start picking up points and just win the games if they are to be replayed.

24 minutes ago, Richie said:

It is a bit of a farce, but in the SPFL's defence they had to make a decision and St Mirren and Killie were also within their rights to appeal.

There isn't any real middle ground - They couldn't say 'We'll maybe award 3 points, but it depends if there's an appeal' and St Mirren and Killie couldn't appeal a decision if it hadn't been made yet.

Word salad... Anyway, the best solution as a Motherwell fan is for us to get our finger out, start picking up points and just win the games if they are to be replayed.

We award 3 points, subject to appeal, if appropriate the points will be applied at the end of the appeals process.