Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

53 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

How many times is that now that we’ve led against rangers (with Robinson in charge) and threw the game away?

Depends on how you're defining threw the game away? Is it not holding out for the win or does a draw count as not chucking it?

1st April 2017 - Rangers 1 - 1 Motherwell
31st March 2018 - Motherwell 2 - 2 Rangers
26th August 2018 - Motherwell 3 - 3 Rangers
27th October 2019 - Rangers 2 - 1 Motherwell
19th December 2020 - Rangers 3 - 1 Motherwell

Fwiw the only one of those I'd class throwing the game away was the 2-2 game after we'd been 2-0 up.

Edited by capt_oats

I always find it hard to take that suggestion seriously after an OF game.

I think yesterday showed our lack of quality in the squad despite it's numbers. We were doing well to hold on but once we had to replace tired team members the limited options meant the subs looked fucking ridiculous. Not to mention folk like Mugabi goin ok for 70 mins before reminding us why he's baws.

Edited by Busta Nut

Robinson says he is ready to shake things up in January whatever happens after an up-and-down start to the campaign, hoping to bring at least two players into the club.

“It will probably be loan signings but it will depend on who leaves and who we can get out,” he said. “We certainly need to get people out before we can do any business.

“There are people we are speaking to. I’m hoping to get a couple of players in and give us a bit of a jag.

“When you see new faces in the building in January suddenly it lifts everyone’s game. If it means a bit of wheeling and dealing that’s what we’ll do.”

To be fair to him, even before the game yesterday Robinson was talking about wielding the axe again in January. 

So again, at least he’s acknowledging that changes to the squad are required. Be interesting to see who he can actually get out the door right enough. 

55 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

To be fair to him, even before the game yesterday Robinson was talking about wielding the axe again in January. 

So again, at least he’s acknowledging that changes to the squad are required. Be interesting to see who he can actually get out the door right enough. 

Aye, that's the encouraging part for me. At least he's looked at it and realised that either it's simply not working or that he's been sold a pup with a few of the players he's brought in, my slight worry was that we were going to dig in and just try to work with what we've got in the building and try to make them better.

Robinson's chat post match yesterday where he was talking about "the level of players we're working with" (or words to that effect) suggests that he's made his mind up on a few.

Mentioned it a couple of times but in terms of getting bodies out Crawford's deal is only until January, Rangers have a recall option on Hastie who isn't playing while Dunne, O'Donnell and Archer are both short term deals (although O'Donnell has an option to extend until the end of the season).

After that you're looking at the fringe players whose deals are up at the end of the season. There are a couple that could presumably be options to mutually consent if they can find another club. Looking specifically at Long and Seedorf.

I'd get Long to f**k. Clearly doesn't want to be here and it shows. I'd also expect Hastie to be away which I'm fine with. Would also punt Lamie but I still think Robinson sees him as useful backup (which he most definitely isn't). If we could scam a Championship club and get actual money for Seedorf then it could be the best piece of business we've ever done.

To be honest I don't think the rebuilding job is as drastic as some that Robinson has had to undertake in the past. A centre half who can actually defend to play alongside Gallagher and a forward who will actually score goals and I think we'll be okay.

5 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I always find it hard to take that suggestion seriously after an OF game.

I think yesterday showed our lack of quality in the squad despite it's numbers. We were doing well to hold on but once we had to replace tired team members the limited options meant the subs looked fucking ridiculous. Not to mention folk like Mugabi goin ok for 70 mins before reminding us why he's baws.

Aye like there's results I can understand people wanting the manager out, but losing at Ibrox isn't one of them. 

We do seem to have a large squad but the drop in quality is staggering. Bringing Jordan White on to try and hold the ball up & take the pressure off was never going to work since I'm not actually sure he's done anything of the sort.

From the sounds of it Robinson is very aware that the squad isn't good enough. I think we opted for bringing in a lot of people in the summer but nobody of quality and we're suffering big time. I cannot be convinced otherwise that instead of bringing in a number of total huddies to fill the jerseys (Lamie, White etc.) and we'd attempted to bring in one person of quality for that we'd be in better nick. We could shell 8 folk and sit some youth players on the bench and we would be no worse off. 

I will lose my shit if we keep benching Polworth. I know he's been a bit off the boil but there is nobody else in our team who can pass a ball like him. The midfield 3 of Maguire, Campbell & O'Hara doesn't have an ounce of actual creativity. 

Hopefully we get Donnelly back in to sit in front of the defence, tell O'Hara he's a centre back and get a bit of balance in. 

26 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'd get Long to f**k. Clearly doesn't want to be here and it shows. I'd also expect Hastie to be away which I'm fine with. Would also punt Lamie but I still think Robinson sees him as useful backup (which he most definitely isn't). If we could scam a Championship club and get actual money for Seedorf then it could be the best piece of business we've ever done.

To be honest I don't think the rebuilding job is as drastic as some that Robinson has had to undertake in the past. A centre half who can actually defend to play alongside Gallagher and a forward who will actually score goals and I think we'll be okay.

Agree with that.

For me a Tam Aldred type and an Ally Gorrin would improve us wildly.

As I mentioned on the match thread (and possibly this one) I wouldn't go all in on it but I have a feeling Lang could be a forward that would actually score goals if we were playing him through the middle rather than sticking him out wide.

Interesting to read Robinson say it'll likely be loans we'll look at. I wonder if O'Neill would do us a solid and loan us up Lindsay to drop in on the left beside Gallagher.

I feel we are at least a centre-half, a goalscorer, and at least one but ideally two creative wingers away from having a line up I’d be happy with and that’s if Carroll comes back well and soon.

I don’t think Nathan McGinley has been great by any stretch, but I’m still somewhat perplexed at him being behind Lamie, Mugabi and Grimshaw for a place in defence.

31 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye like there's results I can understand people wanting the manager out, but losing at Ibrox isn't one of them. 

We do seem to have a large squad but the drop in quality is staggering. Bringing Jordan White on to try and hold the ball up & take the pressure off was never going to work since I'm not actually sure he's done anything of the sort.

From the sounds of it Robinson is very aware that the squad isn't good enough. I think we opted for bringing in a lot of people in the summer but nobody of quality and we're suffering big time. I cannot be convinced otherwise that instead of bringing in a number of total huddies to fill the jerseys (Lamie, White etc.) and we'd attempted to bring in one person of quality for that we'd be in better nick. We could shell 8 folk and sit some youth players on the bench and we would be no worse off. 

I will lose my shit if we keep benching Polworth. I know he's been a bit off the boil but there is nobody else in our team who can pass a ball like him. The midfield 3 of Maguire, Campbell & O'Hara doesn't have an ounce of actual creativity. 

Hopefully we get Donnelly back in to sit in front of the defence, tell O'Hara he's a centre back and get a bit of balance in. 

It's absolutely no surprise to me that the 2 seasons Robinson's had the most trouble with are the ones where he's known his starting XI going into it.

This season it'd have been:

Carson
Grimshaw Gallagher McGinley Carroll
Campbell Donnelly Polworth
Hastie Watt Long

10 of that XI were either at the club last season or have played here before. Same thing happened in 18/19 when the Thunderdome was found out, this time it feels like we've lost a ton of players to injury and we've ended up relying on guys who were only ever meant to be here as cover.

The squad build should have been a case of minor tweaks to the XI and a raft of players to augment the squad. Grimshaw was keeping Tait out the side last season, Long had found a bit of form etc. On the face of it that's all fine.

With that in mind we're approaching players saying "would you like to be a squad player for Motherwell pls?".

I've said before but I imagine that's a tough sell and it wouldn't be a surprise if good references from *cough* senior players  sold us on a few on the basis that they were known quantities who would be "good" to add to the group.

Edited by capt_oats

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I've said before but I imagine that's a tough sell and it wouldn't be a surprise if good references from *cough* senior players  sold us on a few on the basis that they were known quantities who would be "good" to add to the group.

What's more infuriating is that Jordan White clearly wasn't a Covid signing. I'm pretty certain it was about this time last year Declan Gallagher was posting things on Instagram suggesting he was as good as signed. I understand that White hasn't played very much, but in order to play you've got to do something when you get that odd 15 minute appearance. 

As for Hastie, if it's taken him until now to get fit I would suggest Jake & I spent lockdown in a similar way. Which is disappointing because you'd hope as a professional athlete he'd have a bit more reason to keep fit than someone who sits at a desk all day. If he's fit now he might be worth keeping around. I would reckon it won't cost the earth to keep him on. 

I feel like collectively we're all over Bevis Mugabi. Like the patter was there when he was a backup, now we need to play him it's not as funny. 

Aye but if we sell him I’m sure our social media interactions would take a huge dip losing all the Ugandan lads.

5 hours ago, well fan for life said:

What's more infuriating is that Jordan White clearly wasn't a Covid signing. I'm pretty certain it was about this time last year Declan Gallagher was posting things on Instagram suggesting he was as good as signed. I understand that White hasn't played very much, but in order to play you've got to do something when you get that odd 15 minute appearance. 

As for Hastie, if it's taken him until now to get fit I would suggest Jake & I spent lockdown in a similar way. Which is disappointing because you'd hope as a professional athlete he'd have a bit more reason to keep fit than someone who sits at a desk all day. If he's fit now he might be worth keeping around. I would reckon it won't cost the earth to keep him on. 

It gets better than that with White. I had a feeling we'd been linked with him while he was at Stirling Albion and also while he was at Livi. There was mention of this on Steelmen so maybe that's where I got it from.

424482686_ScreenShot2020-12-20at19_39_08.thumb.png.4ff5f4c0d11bda15f72889feac6e8085.png

He was at Stirling Albion 12-14 and Livi 14-16 so if there's anything in that it pre-dates Robinson being  manager.

Edited by capt_oats

54 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It gets better than that with White. I had a feeling we'd been linked with him while he was at Stirling Albion and also while he was at Livi. There was mention of this on Steelmen so maybe that's where I got it from.

424482686_ScreenShot2020-12-20at19_39_08.thumb.png.4ff5f4c0d11bda15f72889feac6e8085.png

He was at Stirling Albion 12-14 and Livi 14-16 so if there's anything in that it pre-dates Robinson being  manager.

I watched him at Stirling, he would have been a good project if we had got him at that point, full of energy and a strong runner.