Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

45 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I suppose you can look at things from different perspectives, the Killie game being a case in point. Yes, we looked the better side for a fair part of that game but then, when the chips were down after the red card, they found a bit of resolve and desire to fight back when they had nothing to lose. We, on the other hand, all too predictably lost our nerve and shat the bed. We're soft as shite, toothless in attack, and lacking someone to hold it all together when we need to dig in and fight for our lives. 

Although the teams around us may have similarly poor personnel, my worry is that it's our lack of guts and leadership that will ultimately be our downfall. That and Connor Shields continually getting a start, then blasting every opportunity he gets over the roof of the fucking stand.

Hard to disagree again. Especially on Connor Shields. He is essentially a more muscular, faster Jordan White. Pretty useless at actually doing that much positive. 

Van Veen misses sitters but also scores good goals. Again why he is at Fir Park. But we desperately need a solid replacement for Shields. 

I get the feeling Hammell will be telling the boys time and again they played well. Keep doing what u r doing and we will come good. I may be wrong but you do feel they could do with a rocket up their arses at times.

Hoping we bring a few in soon that can and will make a difference. Quite sure County will be lining up their usual 17 January signings funded by the Oil magnate. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

That will be Hibs that have lost 7 of the 9 games they have played since beating us. Inc a home defeat v Ross County. 

I am extremely confident of shooting ourselves in the foot. Porteous will get a man sent off / a penalty / both. And with a wee cheeky grin thrown in for good measure 💩.

Next two games are crucial. Both at home to Hibs and Ross C. We need 4 points minimum imho. A win v Hibs and they are only 1 point ahead and we would have a game in hand. We could really bring them into the relegation equation. 

Porteous is more likely to get himself sent off when we're 1 up. 

Our shower of shitebags will then proceed to lose 2-1.

With any luck Porteous will be away down south by Sunday and we won’t have to see his mug again.

After today, a leader in central midfield and some quality out wide and upfront are the priority for me. 

I’m also praying to the football gods that we can keep Penney. Imagine going back to Carroll or Toby 🤮 

11 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

With any luck Porteous will be away down south by Sunday and we won’t have to see his mug again.

After today, a leader in central midfield and some quality out wide and upfront are the priority for me. 

I’m also praying to the football gods that we can keep Penney. Imagine going back to Carroll or Toby 🤮 

Penney has been one of the very few positives so far, and his performances can't have gone unnoticed. If another option presents itself to him for the second half of the season you couldn't blame him for getting his ass out of this shitshow, I know I'd be off like a fucking shot. Then, as you say, the drop off in our options to replace him is frightening. 

A point a game is all I seek and we have reduced our ratio to that, one defeat in four, maybe it’s not as bad as it feels.  I am never confident against Hibs (I used to think they were a big team) a win in the next two games could kick start us.

Hope is not yet lost. 

I agree with the above about Shields blasting his shots over, but what irks me even more is how he uses the ball out wide. He is so petrified of facing up a full back, he'll play aimless low crosses to nobody. I really wish he would either have the bravery to take a man on (he has the pace to do it) or put his foot on the ball and try and find a team mate with his cross. I know he's not a winger, but he's now been used there often enough to maybe have a bit more savvy.

He's also now gone 27 games (23 of them starts) since he last scored for us. That must be up there with the worst run of any SPFL players listed as a "forward".

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I agree with the above about Shields blasting his shots over, but what irks me even more is how he uses the ball out wide. He is so petrified of facing up a full back, he'll play aimless low crosses to nobody. I really wish he would either have the bravery to take a man on (he has the pace to do it) or put his foot on the ball and try and find a team mate with his cross. I know he's not a winger, but he's now been used there often enough to maybe have a bit more savvy.

He's also now gone 27 games (23 of them starts) since he last scored for us. That must be up there with the worst run of any SPFL players listed as a "forward".

His habit of blindly thumping the ball somewhere in the direction of the box from out wide is bursting my tits. Never looks up, never even thinks about it.

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I kind of feel sorry for Shields in so much that his confidence is clearly shot but it feels like he's getting chucked out on to the park week in, week out because we have few other options rather than us expecting him to impact the game.

When Hammell got the job he spoke about us needing to improve the quality in the attacking third and tbh it was pretty clear he was talking about players like Shields and Efford as not being up to it for starting spots - hence McKinstry and Aarons being brought in. With Aarons leg exploding we're pretty much back to square one.

He's the sort of player you'd have hoped Hammell might have been able to free up and get a tune out of in the same way Alexander did with Cole and Watt but there seems to be absolutely zero sign of that being something that's likely to happen.

It just seems like it's a case of him grafting his way through 90 mins now

Oh...

"We need a bit of help at the top end of the pitch. Even at the end there we put Stuart McKinstry on and having the options to bring people off the bench is a massive part of the game nowadays.

The impact you can make, especially at the top end of the pitch, is massive, and we don't really have that just now, in terms of what we can do, freshening it up and adding more firepower.

That's something we've not really got at our disposal right now and it's something we're looking at to improve.

We're hoping to get at least one in before the weekend and I hope we can do that, but until then I don't think it's right to speak about other teams' players.

But there is more than one player that we're enquiring about and we're hoping we're going to be further down the line with that sooner rather than later."

Link

Also, not entirely unrelated...those test results on Moult's injury are taking fucking ages eh?
Edited by capt_oats

Could have won today. Should have? Hmm...

We're still, obviously, absolutely in bother but we're also not a million miles away from scrambling up the table.

However, there are so many signs with this team which just flash relegation I'm getting more and more convinced this is the season. We're basically an ever growing list of ifs and excuses...

If we win next week etc...I have no doubt we'll play ok yet lose by the odd goal.

Getting more and more frustrated by the team and manager as the games go on. 

Absolutely devoid of leadership, fight and heart. Too many nice little footballers and the balance is just off. 

I admit I love KVV but cmon he needs to start taking the easy chances. If he wasn’t so wasteful we could be up in the top 6 this season but on the flip side without him and the goals he has scored we would be rock bottom. We have no other goal threats whatsoever. 

CrazylegsJoe also gets it spot on re Shields. He has all the attributes to be a decent player however has the heart of a mouse and zero football brain. Don’t agree he should have been taken off today, Spittal lasting 90 mins was criminal. 

2 hours ago, ropy said:

A point a game is all I seek and we have reduced our ratio to that, one defeat in four, maybe it’s not as bad as it feels.  I am never confident against Hibs (I used to think they were a big team) a win in the next two games could kick start us.

Hope is not yet lost. 

I mean, clearly it's not exactly rosy but again St Johnstone beat us in the first round of fixtures, Killie beat us in the game at Rugby Park we took draws in the reverse fixtures.

As you say that's our last 4 we've only lost 1 - against Rangers. At Ibrox. No great surprise there.

Drawing against Livi today means we're only a point down on our total from the same fixtures in the first round. If we were to match that 13 points in each round it'd leave us on 39 points at the split.

31/07 - St Mirren (W) - 3 pts
06/08 - St Johnstone (L) - 0 pts
13/08 - Aberdeen (W) - 3 pts
20/08 - Livingston (W) - 3 pts
27/08 - Kilmarnock (L) - 0 pts
03/09 - Dundee Utd (X) - 1 pt
01/10 - Celtic (L) - 0 pts
04/10 - Ross County (W) - 3 pts
08/10 - Hibs (L) - 0 pts
16/10 - Rangers (L) - 0 pts

Total - 13 points

22/10 - Aberdeen (L) - 0 pts (-3)
29/10 - Dundee United (W) - 3 pts (+2)
06/11 - Hearts (L) - 0 pts (NC)
09/11 - Celtic (L) - 0 pts (NC)
12/11 - St Johnstone (X) - 1 pt (+1)
23/12 - Kilmarnock (X) - 1 pt (+1)
28/12 - Rangers (L) - 0 pts (NC)
02/01 - Livingston (X) - 1 pt (-2)

Total - 6 points

That puts us -1 from the same fixtures from the first round of games. Which obviously isn't great but it's still very much...could be worse.

That doesn't change the could've, should've, would've element of say being 2 fucking goals up against a 10 man Killie with 20 to go but so far in this round of games we've largely taken points of the teams around us albeit without winning.

24 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

CrazylegsJoe also gets it spot on re Shields. He has all the attributes to be a decent player however has the heart of a mouse and zero football brain. Don’t agree he should have been taken off today, Spittal lasting 90 mins was criminal. 

Spittal is a bit enigmatic for me. He's got 3 goals and 4 assists in 18 games so far. All told, that's pretty decent "numbers". Were he to finish the season with the same pro-rata, 6 goals and 8 assists, you'd have to call that a good return from a winger / number 10 and say the moves been a success.

On the contrary, he has the heart of a pea and I truly struggle to think of anything he's done outwith those 7 moments where he's contributed.

Thought Spittal was as good as he's been for us today.

Shields... I dunno. He'd be fine in a decent motherwell team, but we're not. A grafter, with his confidence shot at the moment as well. He lashes at things every time, whether a cross or a shot, either through a lack of patience or confidence or ability, I dunno.

Efford isn't a huge improvement but his ability on the ball is just a wee step above, and can take someone on. Not perfect, but just that hint of what we were trying today is frustrating.

Actually thought we were better today, similar to Killie that we're almost there, but also just short fuckin everywhere. 

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Thought Spittal was as good as he's been for us today.

Shields... I dunno. He'd be fine in a decent motherwell team, but we're not. A grafter, with his confidence shot at the moment as well. He lashes at things every time, whether a cross or a shot, either through a lack of patience or confidence or ability, I dunno.

Efford isn't a huge improvement but his ability on the ball is just a wee step above, and can take someone on. Not perfect, but just that hint of what we were trying today is frustrating.

Actually thought we were better today, similar to Killie that we're almost there, but also just short fuckin everywhere. 

Efford being described as a (wee) step above some in our current starting 11 pretty much sums up the current season pretty well doesn't it.