Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Sad that it's happened - but everyone involved (including supporters) knew it was pretty likely. As others have said, a gamble worth taking in isolation but in tandem with Aarons, it was too risky (and to be clear, I would have chosen Moult if we had to gamble on someone).

If nothing else, it saved the dullest transfer window for years and gave us a big laugh at the weirdo that was camped outside Fir Park with the 1 megapixel smartphone.

At least we were smart enough to have exit clauses incase of situations like this. 

It was a gamble that didn't fully pay off but it was only a small gamble that didn't cost us much. As long as we take this transfer window seriously and get the right people in, there won't be an issue.

Edited by Phillips455

One of my favourite players as a Motherwell fan, I'll hold my hands up and say I let my heart rule my head on the Moult signing. Hopefully lessons have been learned in terms of transfer policy.

Hoping for a #9 announcement today, no 'across the front 3' pish please 

No shock to see Moult is away. His knees are clearly shot to pieces and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired in the near future. 21 appearances in 5 seasons (according to Wiki) must be a miserable existence for a footballer when it's caused solely by injury. 

Best of luck to him whatever he does next. 

Unfortunate (if predictable) outcome for Moult.

Given what we were looking for at the time ie: experienced cover/back-up for KVV then it was a gamble worth taking. When Hammell said that we brought him in expecting that we'd have to manage his game time that was fine IMO as by and large we were looking for cover and in that market it's a shallow pool in terms of the quality available.

I see Hammell's implying it's the loan market we're looking at and also updating on Matty Penney:

"It's been frustrating so far, we have come close with a couple already but not quite able to get any over the line yet," he said. "But hopefully that will change soon.

"We are trying to get a couple of players in as quickly as possible. Hopefully that means before Sunday.

"Obviously it still needs to be a player that we want and who wants to be here and will fit into what we are trying to do here, which is difficult in the January window.

"You are very rarely going to get a permanent (deal) in January especially with what we have got available to us.

"There is a lot of competition in the same market we are looking for and it's about how we can get a couple over the line before the end of the window."

Hammell is also hopeful of tying up Matt Penney on an extended deal with the left-back's loan from Ipswich due to expire soon.

"We have been in dialogue with Matty and Ipswich and we are hoping we can come to a conclusion with that," he said.

"He is a player who has come in and done really well for us. On the flip side of that I also think we have been really good for him also. It's a good platform for him to showcase his talents and come and enjoy his football, which I think he has done.

"He is playing every week, he is progressing his career and getting good exposure.

"Hopefully we can do some business there, at least until the end of the season."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

No surprise regarding Moult, we all knew the risk when he signed and unfortunately it hasn’t paid off. At least we had the clause to protect ourselves and cancel the loan. Here’s hoping he can sort out his injury issues and get back to playing regularly at some level.

The comments from SH re Penney are more positive than I was expecting. It’d be a huge boost to keep hold of him until the end of the season and finally have a season of stability at a long term problem position.

We really need a couple of attacking bodies in asap that can come in and hit the ground running. If we have to wait until the end of the window, followed by 2-3 weeks to get new signings match fit/up to speed, I fear it could be too late for us. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Assuming we'll announce a replacement today.  The club aren't daft enough to release that news without some positive stuff to follow.

Aye, I would guess there must be something in the wind to help mop up the tear stained replies to this completely surprise🙄 announcement from the usual weirdos!!

Permanent deals are obviously hard to come by in January, but if it's to be loans it's imperative that those recruited are up for the fight of a relegation battle, which is looking more than probable at this stage.

The Penney news is a little more encouraging than I expected, which is nice.

The most frustrating thing about Moult coming back was that in the very short periods that he was on the park, I honestly thought he still looked pretty good. He took up all the right positions and obviously still had all the right instincts, it’s just that his legs are held together by cobwebs and witchcraft. Proper shame, really. 

51 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Is it a knee problem he had previously? The club statement mentions an ankle injury as the problem. 

It was his ACL he done when he was at Preston that was the big one, but I think it's fairly common when you recover from that injury that you become more susceptible to picking up other injuries, like Moult's ankle injury, and they become more difficult to recover from.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Hopefully if / when Moult hangs up his boots can still carve out a career in the game through coaching or management. He just loves football -  the game will be poorer without him. 

I’m sure he was involved in coaching Stoke’s youth teams after he’d been released from them and dropped down the divisions, before joining Wrexham and then us. Hopefully he can get back into that after his playing career, can’t think of many better role models for young players.