Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Blaney surely has to come in next week? If he doesn’t what was the point in signing him? We don’t have time for “projects”. 

After the impact today that McKinstry and Tierney made that’s got to be the end of Shields and even Spittal? If it isn’t then it’s a massive mark against Hammell.

If we fail to beat Ross County next week I think the Hammell experiment has ran its course. 

Don’t feel great piling in on Shields but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a more gutless performance than he produced today. He didn’t want to be there from the 1st whistle, tbh I’d be fairly happy if that was the footnote to his Motherwell career now. 

In saying that he is far from the only issue. I actually thought we played ok in spells today but my god we’re soft as shite. Best you’d hope for is 11th but tbh that current side would absolutely shite it from a playoff. 

I didn't think Spittal was bad. He was the only forward making decent runs, was tidy on the ball, and his movement was decent. His lack of pace is his biggest problem. Shields hid the whole first half and his confidence is shot. He needs to be out of the starting XI going forward, as it's only going to get worse.

The midfield 3 is causing us big problems, although they're hardly being helped when no one is moving in front of them. The biggest problem the three of them have is how powderpuff they are when trying to win the ball back, players just run through them.

Penney had a shocker defensively, and the cynical amongst us may say he's already checked out. 

Johnston can't be worse than the international combo of SOD and McGinn?

In shit seasons gone by we had something that could drag us through. Whether that was Campbell cementing folk and setting a standard or Ainsworth/Johnson turning up once in every 15 games to ping one into the top corner. What we currently have is such an incredibly soft side with nothing to paper over the cracks. I mean ffs at one point we had Tony fucking Watt dragging us through games. 

Defence: Soft as shite. Johansen is a calamity at best and Lamie's got enough failings without having to make up for whoever is next to him. 

Midfield: Still a gaping hole where a 6 should be. A problem we've had for years now. 

Forwards: KvV is sugar or shite with very little in between. Shields I feel sorry for as his confidence is shot to ribbons but we're throwing him out there every single week.

17 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

We'd better hope 2 other teams have shocking run ins as there's no way in hell we're beating a top championship team over 2 legs . 

The playoffs are as rigged in favour of the top-flight side as it can get. I'd be nervous as hell come May but logically we'd still be favourites.

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

This is as soft a motherwell team as I've seen. The "oh well, what can you do" attitude from half the team after that third was shocking.

Said as much at the game - although I can think of some equally shite motherwell teams over the years, I genuinely can't think of a meeker one. It's been well said on here for a few months but there isn't a single leader in the squad and while I don't think pointing and shouting is the magic answer, someone who sets the tone and doesn't accept folk shiting themselves at the thought of a 50/50 challenge would help.

I'm a bit queasy about Shields becoming this year's scapegoat - he would be an absolutely fine squad player (as a centre forward) but playing ineffectually as a wide attacker for months has probably robbed him of any confidence that he had and I'm at the point of feeling sorry for him. For that reason, I'm choosing Spittal as my 2023 Scapegoat - never been a player I rated previous to signing for us and he would be rock bottom of my list of players that you want in a battle - an empty shirt.

We all knew this season would be tough but the soft goals we're losing and lack of fight in midfield is a joke. If we bring in 2 or 3 players most likely on loan we could survive this season. Which when Hammel took over was probably his realistic goal this season