Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I mentioned this before but we seem to get the crowds out for cup games in a way that other smaller clubs don't and I've never really worked out why. Taking a touch over 2000 to Arbroath is pretty good going when  you see some of the other attendances. I know there are reasons (including not being on the season ticket) but Kilmarnock, St. Mirren and Dundee United all saw markedly reduced attendances and in St. Mirren's case you would have expected a large visiting support from Dundee. A few others (Accies and St. Johnstone) had boycotts - I know it's difficult to tell with Accies but 783 against County is remarkably low. 

So, are we just a bunch of piss-heads who like a day out?

I've obviously spent a lot more time around Motherwell fans than any others, but I will say that you can definitely tell when you're on the train etc with Motherwell fans in a way I dont think as is as obvious with other provincial fanbases.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

8 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm essentially now down to newbies and the far flung reaches of the country. And Falkirk, for some reason, dunno quite how I've never been there.

Would've had you as a stick on to be at the great Calum Elliot debut back in '06! 

I remember going to Brockville as a kid in the 90s on a midweek night when half of Lanarkshire turned up at  the third(?) attempt at a Scottish Cup game as they'd given out shitty wee vouchers when the initial game was abandoned and every c**t just photocopied them.   

30 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I mentioned this before but we seem to get the crowds out for cup games in a way that other smaller clubs don't and I've never really worked out why. Taking a touch over 2000 to Arbroath is pretty good going when  you see some of the other attendances. I know there are reasons (including not being on the season ticket) but Kilmarnock, St. Mirren and Dundee United all saw markedly reduced attendances and in St. Mirren's case you would have expected a large visiting support from Dundee. A few others (Accies and St. Johnstone) had boycotts - I know it's difficult to tell with Accies but 783 against County is remarkably low. 

So, are we just a bunch of piss-heads who like a day out?

I think this became more of a thing after 91 and it's never gone - we will still take a very healthy chunk of our home support for cup games - but it's also a rarity thing I think.

We've not been down to the second tier for 40 odd years and the lower tiers, never since the 4 leagues came in I guess, so a draw like Saturday will always be attractive for the reason that we are at the same grounds year after year normally. 

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

I remember going to Brockville as a kid in the 90s on a midweek night when half of Lanarkshire turned up at  the third(?) attempt at a Scottish Cup game as they'd given out shitty wee vouchers when the initial game was abandoned and every c**t just photocopied them.   

Pink raffle tickets with no special marking on them IIRC - it was a total free for all :lol:

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think this became more of a thing after 91 and it's never gone - we will still take a very healthy chunk of our home support for cup games - but it's also a rarity thing I think.

We've not been down to the second tier for 40 odd years and the lower tiers, never since the 4 leagues came in I guess, so a draw like Saturday will always be attractive for the reason that we are at the same grounds year after year normally. 

There's definitely an element of that but even trips to places like Kilmarnock manage to attract a big turn-out.

On grounds visited, I think I'm on 33 (depending on where we take Queen's Park's ground as). Mostly new clubs/grounds but notable exceptions are County and Queen of the South. I don't really do friendlies but picked up Cliftonhill in a pre-season Lanarkshire Cup game when Jordi Cruyff was sitting up the back of the stand (watching his pal Martinez).

13 minutes ago, Desp said:

Would've had you as a stick on to be at the great Calum Elliot debut back in '06! 

When you mentioned old and new for some teams I immediately thought of Brockville. I went to a load of away games that season including the abandoned one. A fond memory is in the shed which was split 75/25 a local bringing his girlfriend right up to the fence where she was repeatedly questioned if she engaged in sodomy. Falkirk's nickname also posed problems for them.

The rearranged fixture was tooth by jowl as discussed the tickets were given out by overwhelmed stewards many getting multiple and their ability to be easily photocopied regardless.

The guy and his Mrs did not appear at the fence at this match.

Edited by Kapowzer

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

Aye, it always a treat for me growing up (in the 90s).  My Dad would take me to every home game but the only away games he'd ever take me to were cup ties.  So I'd always be buzzing if we got a good draw against a lower league side.  The likes of Ayr, Clydebank, Falkirk, Dumbarton (the old one), East Fife (the old one), Arbroath, Broadwood (to play Accies) were brilliant memories.

Was just talking about the grounds I've been to in work the other day so made my list of grounds I've never been to and why:

Cove Rangers (newbies, only played vs them at home)
FC Edinburgh (was at their old ground)
Alloa (only played at home in my lifetime)
Montrose (never played in my lifetime)
Kelty (newbies, never played)
Peterhead (never played in my lifetime)
Elgin City (never played in my lifetime)
Albion Rovers (only game against them in my lifetime was moved to NDP)
Bonnyrigg Rose (newest of the newbies, never played)

Friendlies account for me being at Ochilview, Forthbank and Somerset Park as we've never played them in an away competitive match in my time. 

Never made it to Meadowbank to count it as Edinburgh as we never played Meadowbank Thistle back in the day in my lifetime and don't think we've even had the sniff of a friendly vs Alloa. The others are either pyramid inductees and Albion Rovers done us out of a good away day by moving to NDP. 

The last act of Flow at the club should be to arrange a pre season tour around the north of Scotland, start in Elgin and work our way east then south to tick off Peterhead, Cove and Montrose - that would give a lot of fans the chance to get a lot closer to the set. 

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Just struck me that we've won away to Aberdeen, Dundee United, County,Arbroath and took a point in Perth. We need to relocate Fir Park a few hundred miles north.

Moving us to Angus would be great, IMO.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Aye, it always a treat for me growing up (in the 90s).  My Dad would take me to every home game but the only away games he'd ever take me to were cup ties.  So I'd always be buzzing if we got a good draw against a lower league side.  The likes of Ayr, Clydebank, Falkirk, Dumbarton (the old one), East Fife (the old one), Arbroath, Broadwood (to play Accies) were brilliant memories.

We really are overdue an away tie at Ayr in the cup. Maybe this year?

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Moving us to Angus would be great, IMO.

Agreed - I was kicking about Angus today with work, it’s a great place. Took a swing by all the stadiums as I was driving about and also saw this famous establishment. A good day. 

158F3CDD-3C2C-4BB5-A1AD-2AF833631F2C.jpeg

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Just struck me that we've won away to Aberdeen, Dundee United, County,Arbroath and took a point in Perth. We need to relocate Fir Park a few hundred miles north.

I’ve noted before the different outcomes between heading north from Stirling and heading South to anywhere including Fir Park.