Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

If we have £4M in the bank could we not just buy St Mirren?

Save the cash and just come support us, you'll recognize the Manager, CEO and the players.

We'll even let you pick the away strip next season. 

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Genuine question, is Kettlewell actually involved with the first team? The news story that was put out when he got the job seemed quite explicit that his remit was specifically development stuff.

Maybe that was done to protect was  is seemingly an inflated and fragile ego?

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

Save the cash and just come support us, you'll recognize the Manager, CEO and the players.

We'll even let you pick the away strip next season. 

We have no equivalent to the Paisley pattern. Maybe a Buckfast label.

6 hours ago, Luke92 said:

Raith

St Mirren (H) 15th Feb
Hearts (H) 19th Feb
Killie (A) 25th Feb
Ross County (A) 4th Mar

I've said for a while I think (based on nuhin) the club give Hammell until March. I wouldn't be shocked to see him given these 5 games.

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Genuine question, is Kettlewell actually involved with the first team? The news story that was put out when he got the job seemed quite explicit that his remit was specifically development stuff.

Kettlewell is on the radio on Saturdays. So I dunno what his role is.

32 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I've said for a while I think (based on nuhin) the club give Hammell until March. I wouldn't be shocked to see him given these 5 games.

Probably to field questions about the h*ns from that pr1ck MacIntyre. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Only way he will get near March is if we either 

A) Beat Raith and St Mirren 

B) Beat Raith and lose/draw to St Mirren but the performance is markedly, so much,  better.

34 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think Hammell  will have the Raith and St. Mirren games to show if his signings are making a difference. I just don't see him getting the boot when he's brought in a defender and midfielder who haven't even played yet. He's also been extremely unlucky with injuries.

Probably.

But the posts above about players supposedly criticising training methods and in game tactics does not (if true) suggest that Hammell is the man to get an instant turnaround. The existing players appear to have lost faith. That and the performances and tactics suggests the players are not being well coached.

I so desperately wanted Hammy to succeed. And if he is given the next two or three games then I would be delighted if somehow we reverse our recent performances and results and he keeps us up. Equally if we get knocked out of the cup and lose to St Mirren at home you cannot say the Board were not well warned…..

It is a huge risk with games running out. Even losing another league game or two is a step nearer to relegation. 

Edited by welldaft

Hammell will have at least 2 more games but he should be gone now. 

There's not a chance he'll walk. He pretty much had a job for life as the academy director but obviously that position has since been filled. I'd be very surprised if he gets another managerial job give his rancid record with us and the fact he has no association with any other club. 

I do feel sorry for him as he's taken a gamble which has obviously massively backfired but trying to preserve our league status should take priority over any loyalty we might have to Stevie Hammell. As a guy who played over 600 professional games he'll be well aware of that fact. 

7 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Probably.

But the posts above about players supposedly criticising training methods and in game tactics does not (if true) suggest that Hammell is the man to get an instant turnaround. The existing players appear to have lost faith. That and the performances and tactics suggests the players are not being well coached.

I so desperately wanted Hammy to succeed. And if he is given the next two or three games then I would be delighted if somehow we reverse our recent performances and results and he keeps us up. Equally if we get knocked out of the cup and lose to St Mirren at home you cannot say the Board were not well warned…..

It is a huge risk with games running out. Even losing another league game or two is a step nearer to relegation. 

If we are out the cup v Raith he will be gone.

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

Should say here I'm not advocating Kettlewell gets the job or is currently saying he's helping out anymore than a development team coach should (i.e. He takes the dev team primarily not the first team).

But he has some experience, is in the building and was specifically mentioned at the AGM. He's definitely there to be lent on as a minimum and is in and about things to help as a maximum being main point.. 

Aye, to be clear I'm not suggesting that's what you're getting at.

It's just that, as you you say, there have been allusions to Kettlewell being there for "support" and held up as someone on the staff with "experience". I wasn't at the AGM but if it's the case that he was named specifically then it'd be interesting to know precisely how integrated he is.

Again, for avoidance of doubt I'm not putting Kettlewell forward as any sort of answer to our problems.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that there's clearly a massive difference between Hammell getting a bit of advice or picking up the phone to someone (Kettlewell, McCall,...whomever) and having that "experienced" person out on the grass in an active role.

When a continuing failure to address identified issues suggest that neither the manager or his assistant are capable of coaching a team worth a f**k it feels a bit disingenuous for the club to put forward "How very dare you. Stuart Kettlewell's in the building (but on Radio Scotland on a Saturday). We're covered." as a solution.

Although again, I suppose they have to be mindful of not being seen to be undermining Hammell while he's still in the post.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

Now your just making stuff up. Let's make this place SO mk2

I’m merely reiterating what was reported earlier in the thread from within the dressing room. If you don’t like that it’s one thing but doesn’t mean there’s no shrewd of truth.

Edited by Kapowzer

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye that was specifically mentioned in the news story as well. I mean, Craigan kept his media work on the go in a similar-ish role so I've no issue with it.

Like I say, I'm just curious as to whether he's actively involved with the first team and whether any of his fingerprints are on the current shitshow.

"He left the club [Ross County] in December 2020 and had been heavily involved in the media, something he will continue to do whilst leading Motherwell’s young guns."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I’m merely reiterating what was reported earlier in the thread from within the dressing room. If you don’t like that it’s one thing but doesn’t mean there’s no shrewd of truth.

I maybe missed that original post you are referring to so fair enough. The way it read was you saying it for the first time.

In general I just think it's too easy to take something said by one person on a thread online, repeat it a couple of times and it becomes fact. But that for me applies to the whole bloody internet (and is why I got rid of the likes of Facebook and Twitter long ago).

Similarly with the whole poor training thing which seems to be gaining traction with a number of posters now from one original post.

I saw Max Johnstone on the main street here yesterday late afternoon. Should have collared him and asked him. Haha 

I've heard enough moaning in my time about training from all over.  Usually it means the players are actually put through their paces, and tbh looking at the bunch of lazy c***s we have, they should be doing treble sessions on every non-match day... with at least one of the sessions them being treated like 7 year olds doing basic passing and moving drills.

Edited by Antiochas III

I mean, I agree that an anonymous post on a fitba' forum doesn't prove anything but it terms of eye-test...do we *look* like a well coached team atm?

• Players don't look like they know what they're supposed to be doing
  • The team doesn't seem to have a clear plan
  • Persistent defensive issues haven't been fixed
  • Players seem unmotivated 
  • Massive regressions individually and collectively as a team
  • Zero improvements in player performance

I think most of us have seen well coached Motherwell sides and this...isn't one.

Tbh, there's an echo of where we are just now and McGhee's 2nd season of his 2nd stint where, ironically, there were also persisting rumours about training. The story went that because McGhee was commuting it meant training was being taken largely by McFadden (who also had zero first team coaching experience) and a handful of the senior players.

Edited by capt_oats