Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, ropy said:

Has it been confirmed if Kevin has gone local with his choice of baby mother? I believe Martinez found his love in Motherwell, has there been a list of imported footballers taking our women away.

’Our women’ being a playful phrase indicating the free thinking and independent life loving females who through choice or birth reside in the various towns and parishes of Lanarkshire.

I think she is local, he appears to often advertise her hair salon in his instagram story. Not that me, with about four hairs to my name, is an ideal target audience.

53 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Feels a big miss not being able to keep McKinstry. 

Maybe he would never have stayed anyway but unfortunate he's been sidelined due to the formation. 

There's definitely some sort of useful player in there but it's for the greater good that he's been benched. Suppose it depends on what we intend to do next season. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'd be looking to keep him but I think SK has made it clear he's not interested.

It's remarkable given he was arguably our poty until mid-February.

Yeah, which I totally understand to be fair. 

Just unfortunate that's all really. 

I'm sceptical about his legs allegedly working again but if they do, then it makes a lot of sense imo. Played best for us in 3-5-2, knows/loves the club (which does still matter), isn't technically as good as KVV but has the same sort of maverick quality about him.

I suppose a lot of it would depend on what he'd do with his family, move the up or commute. If it was me I'd leave them where they are. Burton are L1 and while he's not really featured much due to injury would there be many L1/2 clubs nearish interested?

He played the best football of his career in C&A. I just don't know how @Busta Nut would react seeing him sign and Kev give his "thanks for the memories" insta in the same week.

I'd be happy to have him at FP to start his coaching career, if that's what he wants, and if there's no pressure on him rushing back to a first team maybe he'll even get fit and healthy (ish).

But he was done as a professional footballer before we signed him last time, doing it again with the expectation of anything else would be madness.

I would like to see a ban on 91 being mentioned, used to sell things, name lounges or generally appearing on any official channels outside of round anniversaries until we win something again.

That said...what a day. What a team too. I caught up with my United mate at Xmas and we agreed one of the great things about that final were XIs were absolutely stuffed full of iconic players who had massive club association over several years (and in our case even then the two most 'journeyman' pros passing through went and scored).

Assuming we win something again in my lifetime (alarmingly no longer as certain as it seemed), it'll be be amazing but doing so with a functional collection of short-term deals and loan players just won't be the same.

I don't mind it being mentioned, it's a pain we're still having to celebrate it 32 years later, it was 39 years the last time.
People who complain that other teams managed to win it in the last 15 years or so annoy me. As if we'd some divine right to win it before these clubs.
Maybe we will win it again. Maybe we won't. I don't mind reminiscing but I don't think we need any more bashes or that.

I just wish I was a bit older at the time.

I'm happy to see the cups spread around so St Mirren, Livingston etc winning one after us doesn't bother me at all.

Those who have two begin to raise an eyebrow but even then Aberdeen, United and Killie have had just one more spread over decades so I'm largely meh.

What does annoy me is some reaching three since we last had one (Hibs, Hearts, St Johnstone), because my inner whining voice says 'but we're due'...which is ridiculous, as you say.

You can, of course also compare us to Dunfermline and Dundee - if you'd told them after their last trophies, which both came not that long after the previous one, what lay ahead in their 50+ year drought to come they'd have laughed at you.