Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, DeadStar said:

Can we fire Jack Aitchison into the sun at the end of the season please?

I'd be absolutely raging if I was one of our younger players and this absolute football terrorist is getting sub appearances over me.  

Is this opinion based on previous knowledge? We've only seen glimpses of him. On Saturday, he had two runs where he left defenders in his dust, so he does have pace. He's had a couple of pot shots at goal in previous games. I haven't seen enough to form an opinion but "absolute football terrorist" is an indication DeadStar has clearly seen enough.

24 minutes ago, gullane said:

Is this opinion based on previous knowledge? We've only seen glimpses of him. On Saturday, he had two runs where he left defenders in his dust, so he does have pace. He's had a couple of pot shots at goal in previous games. I haven't seen enough to form an opinion but "absolute football terrorist" is an indication DeadStar has clearly seen enough.

Fwiw this is kind of where I am on Aitchison as well.

Like, I'm not sure he's had enough impact to keep around but *quiet voice* in his cameos he's looked a better fit for what we seem to trying to do than Joey Efford (who I've seen posts on another forum suggesting we keep).

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think I'm speaking on behalf of the thread here when I say that Stuart Kettlewell should be sacked immediately and banned from Fir Park.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/louis-moult-motherwell-return-denied-30042526

Ketts absolutely killing the vibe here. Get him out, Sharon.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think I'm speaking on behalf of the thread here when I say that Stuart Kettlewell should be sacked immediately and banned from Fir Park.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/louis-moult-motherwell-return-denied-30042526

Groin, ankle, knee. Now it’s his fucking hamstrung. Louis just can’t catch a break. 

On the 'hamstrung' point I don't think I quite realised the size of the squad what with the long term injuries and loans. It also doesn't help that the majority of the short term signings in January have been good and the legacy players who signed extensions have been bumped down to the bench.

Assuming SOD isn't mistaken as to how long he has left on his deal then by my count we've 17 players already contracted who have been in and around the matchday squad plus 8 regular starters.

Assuming we offer deals to all 8 that puts us on 25 bodies before we've even thought about changing things up.

I mean, of those (fit) with 1 year left then based on minutes played you could trim Lamie, Mugabi, Maguire, Shields and Morris (although it sounds like the latter is being dealt with).

Contracted for next season:
GK: Kelly, Oxborough
DF: SOD (?), Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley, Blaney, Butcher
MF: Spittal, Slattery, Tierney, Maguire, Miller
FW: Van Veen, Danzaki, Morris, Shields

Regular starters OOC:
GK: n/a
DF: McGinn, Johnston, Furlong, Casey
MF: Cornelius, Goss
FW: Mandron, Obika

Squad OOC:
DF: Carroll
MF: Paton
FW: Efford, Aitchison, McKinstry

Already launched:
Crankshaw

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

On the 'hamstrung' point I don't think I quite realised the size of the squad what with the long term injuries and loans. It also doesn't help that the majority of the short term signings in January have been good and the legacy players who signed extensions have been bumped down to the bench.

Assuming SOD isn't mistaken as to how long he has left on his deal then by my count we've 17 players already contracted who have been in and around the matchday squad plus 8 regular starters.

Assuming we offer deals to all 8 that puts us on 25 bodies before we've even thought about changing things up.

I mean, of those (fit) with 1 year left then based on minutes played you could trim Lamie, Mugabi, Maguire, Shields and Morris (although it sounds like the latter is being dealt with).

Contracted for next season:
GK: Kelly, Oxborough
DF: SOD (?), Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley, Blaney, Butcher
MF: Spittal, Slattery, Tierney, Maguire, Miller
FW: Van Veen, Danzaki, Morris, Shields

Regular starters OOC:
DF: McGinn, Johnston, Furlong, Casey
MF: Cornelius, Goss
FW: Mandron, Obika

Squad OOC:
DF: Carroll
MF: Paton
FW: Efford, Aitchison, McKinstry

Already launched:
Crankshaw

Aye, I get the feeling Kettlewell is probably stating the absolute facts rather than the likely reality with the whole squad thing

On the current budget, if everyone we've offered a contract to signs it we might be more or less at the limit.

But I'd imagine he knows Max won't be signing, but officially, it's not knocked back.  Also likely to get a bit more leeway if we finish top of the bottom 6 too. 

Edited by eliphas

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw this is kind of where I am on Aitchison as well.

Like, I'm not sure he's had enough impact to keep around but *quiet voice* in his cameos he's looked a better fit for what we seem to trying to do than Joey Efford (who I've seen posts on another forum suggesting we keep).

I’m the least ITK person about but I did hear that Efford has already signed a new deal on the q.t. If so, I’d be just about fine with that I think. He had hit a wee bit of form before his injury. 

Re. Aitchinson…I’ve been mildly impressed by the limited amount I’ve seen of him. No idea if he’s any end product but seems a strong runner. 

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

I’m the least ITK person about but I did hear that Efford has already signed a new deal on the q.t. If so, I’d be just about fine with that I think. He had hit a wee bit of form before his injury.

Tbh, given the amount of time he's missed with injury this season (and the fact he's apparently had another set-back) I wouldn't be surprised by this in the same way we did right by Craig Tanner etc.

See also Jake Carroll - I'd imagine he'll be offered a Tanner deal.

Quite a disconcerting read imo. Not just the Moult side but the overall financial side of it being alluded too. Just as a few of us have said, this year has financially fucked us I think. 

If we go into next season with a forward line of Efford, Shields, Obika and Mandron and sell KVV then it’s going to be a tough tough watch. Based on Ketts saying he wants to keep both Obika and Mandron… 

41 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Quite a disconcerting read imo. Not just the Moult side but the overall financial side of it being alluded too. Just as a few of us have said, this year has financially fucked us I think. 

If we go into next season with a forward line of Efford, Shields, Obika and Mandron and sell KVV then it’s going to be a tough tough watch. Based on Ketts saying he wants to keep both Obika and Mandron… 

What the Manager says and what he actually believes (I hope) are two separate things. 

It is depressing the fact we have so many average or crocked players under contract for next season and unless that changes it could and probably will really hamper us. I kinda hope that if we get £1m+ from Max Johnstone and KVV that may help us move on some players and be more choosy on others. Maybe the likes of Shields would decide to move on if he felt he was going to get a regular game elsewhere.