Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Thistle supporting mate reckons we're in for Aidan Fitzpatrick, should transfer funds be coming in, not sure if that's been mentioned before? 

Can't say I know too much about him to be honest, but looked decent during their playoff matches. 

7 hours ago, Luke92 said:

Football fans, on football forum want more money for their star goal scorer. Who would have thought it ae?

Some of the replies on this thread are a bit odd really. People wanting a few more 100k for KVV isn't exactly 'moonhowling' behaviour. It's really not that wild an opinion to be honest. If he is getting 10k a p/w, I can see why people MIGHT think it could be a wee bit more..

For what it's worth, I don't really have any problem with £500k, it's probably ballpark what I expected considering there is likely a goal/promotion add on baked in.

As a Motherwell supporter there has been pretty much nothing to gain from incoming transfer fees for a number of years now. Other than the obvious point of balancing the books, we don't see any tangilble benefits as football fans on the pitch. We lose our star player but we gain nothing in terms of on the field investment etc. Unless its not been communciated properly the only benefit I've seen is the 'improvements' to the stadium. See David Turnbull's departure for details.

Absolutely.

The way I see it, if we're probably not gonna get more than 500k from him then that's fine. However, Kettlewell has proved he can get a team playing at the top end of the league, with Van Veen central to that. Add the additional prize money  in how valuable Europe can be now means if we continue our form into next season then it could be worth far more than £500k. It's a gamble but I think he's likely worth more to use than what folk are willing to pay. 

12 hours ago, Desp said:

"Sorry Trevor, we're not letting you go as a few of the Owners of the Club on Twitter.com are saying we need a couple of hundred grand extra, at least.  I know that'll mean you staying here and getting about £8k a week less than what you could've had, but y'know, suck it up".

Fixed it for you. 

We still seem to have plenty players joining us as a stepping stone despite that scenario. We all had sympathy but I can't recall anyone clamouring for Carson to get his life-changing move. 

I'm sympathetic to what you're saying the rest of your post, but it's a two way thing - players sign longer contracts because it gives them financial security. It's a gamble they take - if a more attractive job comes along then a move is more complicated, but they could equally be rotten or get injured and it's the club that lost the gamble. If the club wants rid, they'll pay out to end the contract.

The majority of fans accept he's going and want the guy to do well out of it, but  fact some folk see his value as higher than £500k isn't exactly weirdo behaviour. 

I'm sure I've said in the last few weeks that I'd rather we held on to him and let him go for nothing with a Scottish cup winners medal than let him go for less than a million. With recent developments I'm pretty much ok with a half million + "add-ons" if he was to go to a Dutch club flinging a wedge at him . Seems to fit well and I'm pretty sure if we were to kybosh this move then we're not getting a 30 goal striker striker again this year, I mean we could try the gun to the head technique but I'm not sure that would work out well.  

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

I'm sure I've said in the last few weeks that I'd rather we held on to him and let him go for nothing with a Scottish cup winners medal than let him go for less than a million. With recent developments I'm pretty much ok with a half million + "add-ons" if he was to go to a Dutch club flinging a wedge at him . Seems to fit well and I'm pretty sure if we were to kybosh this move then we're not getting a 30 goal striker striker again this year, I mean we could try the gun to the head technique but I'm not sure that would work out well.  

I mean, have we tried threatening to shoot him? Or was that just a Burrows thing?

6 hours ago, CoF said:

Fixed it for you. 

We still seem to have plenty players joining us as a stepping stone despite that scenario. We all had sympathy but I can't recall anyone clamouring for Carson to get his life-changing move. 

Except the club actually agreed to let Carson go to Celtic for his life-changing deal, it was only when his replacement fell through in the last hours of the transfer window it got binned. The circumstances are totally different.

10 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Thistle supporting mate reckons we're in for Aidan Fitzpatrick, should transfer funds be coming in, not sure if that's been mentioned before? 

Can't say I know too much about him to be honest, but looked decent during their playoff matches. 

so, next season, Fitzpatrick, Turner and Harry Milne, Brian Graham anyone?

On 16/06/2023 at 09:22, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I thought the same about the Jamaican player, but then remembered Aarons was with us very, very briefly.

In other news, not that there was ever any substance to it, but it seems Arfield is off to the MLS, so we can rule out him joining us.

In similar news it seems Paul McMullan has 'opened talks' with Derry City.

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, CoF said:

Fixed it for you. 

I'm sympathetic to what you're saying the rest of your post, but it's a two way thing - players sign longer contracts because it gives them financial security. It's a gamble they take - if a more attractive job comes along then a move is more complicated, but they could equally be rotten or get injured and it's the club that lost the gamble. If the club wants rid, they'll pay out to end the contract.

The majority of fans accept he's going and want the guy to do well out of it, but  fact some folk see his value as higher than £500k isn't exactly weirdo behaviour. 

You could've just used the example of Van Veen's China bid in March, which we knocked back a bid because we had no or next to no chance of getting a replacement in.  Comparing Van Veen now and Carson from 2018 is, as has been pointed out, comparing apples & oranges.

Also;

On 15/06/2023 at 09:17, Desp said:

Hilarious that everyone has just taken the story & figures from some cabbage journalist on Twitter and taken it completely at face value.  Lol.

11 minutes ago, Desp said:

You could've just used the example of Van Veen's China bid in March, which we knocked back a bid because we had no or next to no chance of getting a replacement in.  Comparing Van Veen now and Carson from 2018 is, as has been pointed out, comparing apples & oranges.

Especially considering we have seven weeks before the league season starts and another four after that until the transfer window shuts. When we had the bid for Carson, we had less than 24 hours to replace him and had the small matter of a game against Hibs that night. As good as Carson had been for us in that six months, he was subject to a bid from Celtic because they were in need of a goalkeeper due to injuries, not because of his form.