Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I have an idea why but it's a bit weird that the press are running a story about month old comments from Kettlewell about Danzaki eh?

The quotes in these articles are lifted from his press conference posted on 26th May before the United game.

@thisGRAEME when he saw this.

wedding brooklyn GIF

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

It’s a bit of a joke really isn’t it. I mean I don’t really ask much from the club, at all, but as a bare minimum I would quite like to know who actually plays for us. 

Just realised that Matty Connelly is in that photo with Tierney as well. He's another we've not announced has re-signed despite The Record reporting it in the middle of May. :lol:

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I'd have taken Obika over Mandron every time. A decent squad option and seems like a good guy. Fine. 

I'd rather have had neither and tbh I'm struggling to pick between them. Obika probably a fraction better but older and a touch more injury prone?

Either way...if he's the bottom level of our signings as a squad player, ok. If, god help us.

Come on guys, it's clear that the club are embarking on a fan social media easter egg hunt to find the new signings and in turn bump views and ad rev. It's a master plan first pulled together by Alan Burrows and Grant Russell which was presented to the board in an 18 page glossy brochure a while ago

#PatonOrMcGinleyintheHoody is now trending.

Edited by eliphas

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'd rather have had neither and tbh I'm struggling to pick between them. Obika probably a fraction better but older and a touch more injury prone?

Either way...if he's the bottom level of our signings as a squad player, ok. If, god help us.

I'm fully expecting us to #announce Mandron as well btw.

He wasn't on the list of players leaving the club we put out during the week so it doesn't seem a massive leap to think he's been offered something. If he has then I'd be surprised if he didn't accept it tbh.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Operation Plane Ticket Hame in full swing.

Of our Japanese guys I'm not remotely fucked about Danzaki, would love wee Tomo signed in a long term 'Positivity Advisor' role though. Can't have enough buying Noodles in Asda #content imo.

#announcetomo

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

He wasn't on the list of players leaving the club we put out during the week so it doesn't seem a massive leap to think he's been offered something. If he has then I'd be surprised if he didn't accept it tbh.

I think he'd be genuinely excited if I offered him a bit of chewing gum tbh.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

If that happens I'm going full the fear.

I can understand the logic of keeping one, TBF, even if I'd have looked for better. But taking both - at least assuming KVV - seems pretty extreme.

So on summary we basically we have the squad we had when we were bumping along the bottom of the Premiership. Probably minus Van Veen. What can possibly go wrong 😂.

I fully understand it is early days but there is very little to get excited about for the new season. 

I pray 🙏 we can move on a few on and sign at least 4 to 5 starters or panic will set in. I think it is clever they have all these signings lined up and they are keeping it under wraps. The mark of a professional club imho. 

I mean, in one of his post-match interviews towards the end of the season (I can't remember which one) Kettlewell basically said he was keen to keep as many of the current squad together as possible so taking him at face value it shouldn't actually be that much of a surprise if he's true to that.

It's interesting that we don't seem to have committed to any PCAs though - certainly not Scottish based anyway.

That said, in signing Obika (and in the event we also sign Mandron up again) it'd suggest we're sticking with the shape that worked. 

By my count, unless something unexpected happens, we're still down at least 3 starters (Johnston, Furlong, Goss) and it depends on whether or not there's the view that Blaney can step in to do what Casey did and whether Slattery is a fair enough replacement for Cornelius. Then there's the question of what we do in the event KVV leaves (beyond banking the cash to cover the impact of us having to sack 2 managers last season).

The main issue feels like it's going to be addressing the players who are under contract who....probably aren't going to get much game time.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If that happens I'm going full the fear.

I can understand the logic of keeping one, TBF, even if I'd have looked for better. But taking both - at least assuming KVV - seems pretty extreme.

Yeah I am thinking I will be in full panic mode if this happens

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Of our Japanese guys I'm not remotely fucked about Danzaki, would love wee Tomo signed in a long term 'Positivity Advisor' role though. Can't have enough buying Noodles in Asda #content imo.

#announcetomo

Didn't we punt Tomo a while ago?

Edited by Busta Nut

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Didn't we punt Tomo a while ago?

Think we did but I've got a bag of cans and just want the smiley wee fucker back.

Being serious, on actual transfers I'm neither overly inspired by retaining a fairly injury prone Obika, nor overly worried about the lack of signings or even links to potential incomings. Surely Mandron's arse is oot the windae, no need for two average hold up players when we should only be retaining one and giving youth a chance for promotion from within to provide cover and competition. We need a more streamlined and versatile squad than the bloated and unbalanced mess we've has the last few years.

It's the first day back, I'll give them til the end of the week before I demand the information and transparency my few quid a month deserves on transfer matters.