Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This is the part that seems to fly over the "bUt tHe mOtHeRwELL mAnAgEr SAiD..." crowd's head when they're looking at the reported fee. KVV was pretty explicit from the start that he wanted PAID.

If we take the pinch of salt on Tony Joseph's £10k p/w salary shout, then fag packet numbers on a shree year deal at £520k p/a. £1.5m all in.

Add in our fee (whether it's £500k up front or £700k all in...whatever) that's the guts of £2m on the table - not including any signing on fees or bonuses for the big man.

And it's basically a sunk cost given KVV will be 35 upon the contract expiry.

Looking at it as a Big Picture is feels like it's a deal that everyone can be quite happy with especially given his form post-China.

We can bank whatever money we got for him and go some way to helping cover the shortfall as a result of our Year of Bad Decisions.

Fwiw, taken at face value I thought the bit of spiel from us in the announcement told everyone everything they needed to know (if they're actually paying attention) and it seems like it's pretty much been done in principle for a while:

Something the majority of fans never take in to account. 

If you're demanding a seven figure fee then are you happy for the club to pay a wage in that bracket to keep him there?

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

If you're demanding a seven figure fee then are you happy for the club to pay a wage in that bracket to keep him there?

That perfectly reasonable section of our fan base were probably bombarding the club with emails demanding their £5 Well Society contribution went directly to van Veen's bank account. 

Harrogate Town, eh?  Big local rivalry with Emmerdale Farm I'm led to believe.

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Having attended one League 2 game in my life I am willing to go on record and call it a fucking terrible league. Fair play to him if he's making a decent wedge out of it though.

Agreed.  Chuck in League 1 as well.  Absolute dug shite level of football.  I'm sure Dean will be more than capable of excelling down there.  All the best to him.

40 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Seems that Dean has signed for Harrogate Town

I've been to Harrogate. It's actually quite nice. 

Not sure this will be the "new challenge" Dean is hoping for right enough. I'd put the English League 2 on a par with the Scottish Championship in terms of standard. 

Cornelius needs games. 

He’s 22 and he’s only started 31 matches in his entire career so far. For comparison, Max Johnston is 3 years younger than him and already has over 50 career starts. 

If he’s been offered a squad role here and first team football elsewhere then fair play to him for taking the chance. He needs to go somewhere where he can start 30-40 games next season. And if he does well, he’ll get his move up the ladder. 

Good luck to him, would be easy to do a Barry Maguire and hang about here for another few years but a fresh start and regular football is probably the best thing for his development. 

I play 5's and 7's twice a week with Liam Craig, and he was saying last night that he can't believe there hasn't been more interest in Dean as he's pretty highly regarded amongst players and coaching staff in our league. Says there's no way he should be dropping as low as Harrowgate, but he's suffering from not having played as much as he should have by now so he's got to do what it takes to get games under his belt.

Here's hoping he can do that and kick on from there. All the best to him.

Edited by Al B

5 minutes ago, Al B said:

I play 5's and 7's twice a week with Liam Craig, and he was saying last night that he can't believe there hasn't been more interest in Dean as he's pretty highly regarded amongst players and coaching staff in our league. Says there's no way he should be dropping as low as Harrowgate, but he's suffering from not having played as much as he should have by now so he's got to do what it takes to get games under his belt.

I rate Dean highly. Don’t get the hate for him tbh at all. Very versatile and under rated in a forward sense aswell. I think this must just be a stepping stone move as he is better than Harrogate.

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Not quite KVV level or his replacement. But Josh Fowler from Beith on trial this week. 21 years old. 32 goals last season in the WOS premier.

New striker from down south due to sign this week by all accounts.  

52 minutes ago, Al B said:

We're all missing the most important questions here. Is Liam Craig as mental and angry on a fives pitch as he was as a player!?

44 minutes ago, Widge said:

We're all missing the most important questions here. Is Liam Craig as mental and angry on a fives pitch as he was as a player!?

🤣🤣

Not at all actually! You couldn't meet a nicer, more laid back guy tbh.

16 minutes ago, Al B said:

🤣🤣

Not at all actually! You couldn't meet a nicer, more laid back guy tbh.

Agreed, Al really burying the lead here, and fair play to you turning up to a game with an actual ex-pro in it. Have done this a few times and it always, always ruins the game, because they're so hilariously better than everyone else without trying. :lol:

32 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Callum Lang is back baby!

Swapping a big weird mercurial Dutch guy for a chippy, mercurial Scouser would be something I'd absolutely back.

Should definitely manifest that into happening IMO.

Bring him home Ketts la.

a93d0092504725acbf9326e10763ac0c-2048x11

Just now, capt_oats said:

Swapping a big weird mercurial Dutch guy for a chippy, mercurial Scouser would be something I'd absolutely back.

Should definitely manifest that into happening IMO.

Bring him home Ketts la.

a93d0092504725acbf9326e10763ac0c-2048x11

Thanks lads, This is now going to end up as "motherwell have been linked with..." story in the Record.