Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Taking a punt on a guy from the league(s) below is what fans have been asking we do for years.  By the very nature of it, some will work and some won't.  It certainly wasn't for a lack of effort, but it's obviously not worked out for him at Motherwell.  It can happen, and has happened to players better than him.

Some of the nonsense aimed at him has been bang out of order.  I hope he can get a decent run of games wherever he ends up next.  I have far more sympathy for guys who'll try their hardest to make it work, but come up short in terms of ability, than I do for clearly talented players who'll coast along not putting the graft in.

8 minutes ago, santheman said:

From them or us?

1 minute ago, Desp said:

Taking a punt on a guy from the league(s) below is what fans have been asking we do for years.  By the very nature of it, some will work and some won't.  It certainly wasn't for a lack of effort, but it's obviously not worked out for him at Motherwell.  It can happen, and has happened to players better than him.

Some of the nonsense aimed at him has been bang out of order.  I hope he can get a decent run of games wherever he ends up next.  I have far more sympathy for guys who'll try their hardest to make it work, but come up short in terms of ability, than I do for clearly talented players who'll coast along not putting the graft in.

I had a wee chuckle at @santhemanpost and gave it a greenie. Then I read your completely spot-on post @Desp and now I feel bad. 

I don’t know who I am anymore. 

25 minutes ago, Desp said:

This has been my thing all along with Shields. His attitude has been spot on - but his confidence took an understandable dip during his time as a left winger and he became a bit of a scapegoat for the fucking mess we were in under Hammell.

Scottish football is a tiny place and players talk to each other all the time - do you think Shields will be telling his Championship pals that they should pick us over St Johnstone or Killie?

I don’t get the chat that he has a great attitude and he worked his arsed off etc. I have never seen a player physically so capable but never used his pace or strength to his advantage. 

He also hid a lot in games and just didn’t want to get involved. That was my problem. If he had a heart to go with his size and strength even when things were not working he could have caused problems for teams.

He was of course played out of position regularly and in fairness QOTS fans warned us that wide he is shit. Sadly he they were proven right. I still think there could have been a player if played through the middle and think the Kettlewell formation might have worked for him beside KVV or as an option beside Obika etc. however we can all tell now that SK likes big strikers and not keen on smaller players ie Shields, Aitchison, Danzaki etc. 

edit to add, I mean smaller in height and bigger in stature in the above as clearly it could be a contradiction in my post….

Edited by wellboy1991

Sad it didnt work out for Sheilds, as others have said, he was largely a victim of circumstance and poor management. 

I wouldnt have been devestated to see him given a chance through the middle in the League Cup games alongside Wilkinson or Obika to see if it would boost his confidence and get something out of him.

However, its clear SK doesnt fancy him, so like Danzaki, best for both parties to move on. 

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Sad it didnt work out for Sheilds, as others have said, he was largely a victim of circumstance and poor management. 

I wouldnt have been devestated to see him given a chance through the middle in the League Cup games alongside Wilkinson or Obika to see if it would boost his confidence and get something out of him.

However, its clear SK doesnt fancy him, so like Danzaki, best for both parties to move on. 

Not to be contrary but I'm not sure it's necessarily a given that SK doesn't fancy him. At the very least he's been given a run out in some of the pre-season games unlike the bold Riku.

The messaging we've been getting is that it's a numbers game we've got at the moment so as @crazylegsjoe_mfc alluded to the other day we can really only shift bodies if other teams want them so there's a chance that Kettlewell may have been on the fence with Shields but equally isn't about to stand in his way if he's got an offer.

That said, given the grief Shields has had it definitely feels that a clean break probably suits both parties here and if he's been able to get a deal with an uplift in wages playing for Coyle in India then absolutely fair fucks to him and his agent. I 100% had him pegged as ending up on loan at Thistle or something.

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The messaging we've been getting is that it's a numbers game we've got at the moment so as @crazylegsjoe_mfc alluded to the other day we can really only shift bodies if other teams want them so there's a chance that Kettlewell may have been on the fence with Shields but equally isn't about to stand in his way if he's got an offer.

I suspect that's it exactly. With the exception of Danzaki, most of those deemed not good enough are actually fine for 10 games and a handful of sub appearances over the course of the season. The trouble is if you have 10 of these guys and think some will be hitting 25 games...

So as said, it's less important who we punt rather than punting X bodies from that group to free up wages for the first team. And we'll adapt to whether it's a Shields or Maguire etc we manage to get out the door.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Not to be contrary but I'm not sure it's necessarily a given that SK doesn't fancy him. At the very least he's been given a run out in some of the pre-season games unlike the bold Riku.

That said, given the grief Shields has had it definitely feels that a clean break probably suits both parties here and if he's been able to get a deal with an uplift in wages playing for Coyle in India then absolutely fair fucks to him and his agent. I 100% had him pegged as ending up on loan at Thistle or something.

Thats fair enough comment.

I would say though that if SK did fancy him in the team and saw him as integral, he is under contract and we would probably be playing hard ball for a fee.

I would accept he is probably agnostic on the matter though.

Be i teresting to see who else manages to find themselves a new club.

I once saw a Hibs fan (not sure if it was on here or Twitter) describe how every goal Christian Doidge scores looks like an accident. 

He's one I would have been happy with a few years ago off the back of his record at Forest Green. He had a decent record in his first couple of seasons at Hibs also but, these days, it's a firm pass from me. 

Doidge would be a massive no from me as well.

As an aside, I find it interesting Fletcher hasn't signed somewhere yet. The Scottish clubs are now approaching the first, if not big kick-off, and if he was easy to deal with as a free you'd have thought he'd have picked by now.

The shout of someone on here (forget who, sorry) that he might patch us and St Mirren to kick around League One in England for more money is looking pretty spot on.

Doidge would have been a great signing about 3 seasons ago but that knee(?) injury he had has absolutely finished him at this level. Looks like he can barely run at this point.