Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Casey was the main reason QP had any threat at all.  Thank god for McGinn at the back.  Also not sure what you want from SOD as if our strikers and midfielders could do their job he's have had a hatrick of assists... and probably a goal himself not to mention one of the most important challenges in the game.  

If Mugabi or Lamie played like Casey yesterday they'd have been absolutely slaughtered.

SOD is a strange one - he certainly has some nice moments but there are equally as many wtf incidents as well.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If Mugabi or Lamie played like Casey yesterday they'd have been absolutely slaughtered.

SOD is a strange one - he certainly has some nice moments but there are equally as many wtf incidents as well.

I would suggest it’s because Lamie & Mugabi do it all the time, Casey hasn’t in his time and it’s his first game back since an injury and after a limited pre season… so aye he gets more leeway…

1 minute ago, wellboy1991 said:

I would suggest it’s because Lamie & Mugabi do it all the time, Casey hasn’t in his time and it’s his first game back since an injury and after a limited pre season… so aye he gets more leeway…

Oh aye, no doubting the reasons. It was just notable how poor he was when it seemed like such an upgrade from Tuesday.

I'd also say that Casey being in the middle with a bit more responsibility for bringing the ball out is not a viable option either.

I think folk need to calm a bit, aye it's been a frustrating couple of seasons but these early group games are always a mixed bag with players at different levels of fitness and general game time. 

Certainly seems to be new season, same old shite from some of the helmets in the support though eh? Takes a special kind of entitled p***k to boo some of yer own players on to the pitch during the first home game of the season. 

Casey didn't sell the jerseys 3 times or get himself needlessly sent off. He's also had far more good games for us than bad. 

Regardless of how poor he was yesterday (by his standards), at least he's not Ricki fucking Lamie or Bevis Mugabi. 

25 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Oh aye, no doubting the reasons. It was just notable how poor he was when it seemed like such an upgrade from Tuesday.

I'd also say that Casey being in the middle with a bit more responsibility for bringing the ball out is not a viable option either.

Definitely agree with that. 

For me would I have swapped him and McGinn who seems more comfortable on the ball. Until Butcher is back should be. 

Casey-McGinn-Blaney. 

11 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Definitely agree with that. 

For me would I have swapped him and McGinn who seems more comfortable on the ball. Until Butcher is back should be. 

Casey-McGinn-Blaney. 

That's definitely what I'd do but SK obviously thinks McGinn's ability on the ball supporting the rwb means it's worth at least experimenting with others in the centre while Butcher is out.

I'd still be surprised if our back three at Dens isn't that three in that order mind, if we need to sacrifice a little on the ball to avoid being a liability defensively I'm sure we will.

11 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

As far as I can tell, only Cove, Ross County, Airdrie, Killie, and Forfar can still reach 12 points. 

You'd probably hope the lower league three will drop points somewhere then it's just a case of beating East Fife and hoping the goal difference works out in our favour. 

You'd back Killie and County to see it through while Cove and Forfar still have top-flight sides to play - so probably won't.

That leaves Airdrie, who finish with the beatable Bonnyrigg Rose but first go to ICT - likely the key game in the scenarios needed for us to have a chance of pinching the third seeded spot.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

I'm not a SOD hater by any stretch but it's a different game with SOD and Souare vs Furlong and Johnstone. Unfortunately it looks like Kettlewell is still trying to play the same game without some key attributes in the team - pace on the wings to beat a man, quality in the middle to finish for goals.

Aye I mind talking about this last season. 

A wing back formation without any sort of pace/width or some sort of out ball can very quickly become a back 5. Which is what it felt like at times as we were camped in yesterday.

I mean we used sit in under Kettlewell at points last season as well but at least you always felt we carried a real threat on the counter. A huge part of that was the pace, energy and quality that Johnston and Furlong provided down the flanks. That’s gone now and been replaced by two guys who have a combined age of 74…

I mean SODS was fine yesterday. He made a goal saving clearance at the back post at one end and put one on a plate for Obika who somehow missed down the other. However despite being a willing runner, he just can’t provide the same out ball or dynamism that Johnston provided. 

Other than that, I thought Mcginn was excellent. Casey looked like someone that skipped pre-season. Slattery on the other hand looks much fitter than he did last season, still loves a foul though. Obika is a cracking player with his back to goal, not so good when he’s facing it… 

57 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I think folk need to calm a bit, aye it's been a frustrating couple of seasons but these early group games are always a mixed bag with players at different levels of fitness and general game time.

Aye. Not sure what a lot of fans were expecting. That we should swat aside Queens Park with ease. They were a whisker away from being promoted. If they had not sold Murray to County they probably would have been.

Some good and some bad yesterday as Kettlewell admitted post match. I thought Souare was OK. It took Furlong a wee while to kick on. I think we need to give players like him and Wilkinson a good few games and weeks before we can judge whether they will be a good signing or not.

Good to see that we are still looking to sign one or even two forwards. I like Obika and he does hold the ball up incredibly well. He just misses too many gilt edge chances. Hopefully we get to see our Macedonian midfielder start next Saturday. 

2 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Limited Pre-season is not an excuse when he's the only reason he had a limited pre-season.  If it didn't take 2 months to decide he wasn't too good for us... 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Certainly seems to be new season, same old shite from some of the helmets in the support though eh? Takes a special kind of entitled p***k to boo some of yer own players on to the pitch during the first home game of the season. 

In the past it was generally accepted that it would be a few games into the league season (and certainly after the transfer window) before things clicked - now it feels like an expectation that we should be fully up and running in mid July when the squad is half done. There's ample evidence by now that the LC groups are a leveller and just getting through them with 11 or 12 points is fairly rare.

A lot of our best teams got off to poor starts but it didn't matter as going on a decent run in autumn or spring seems to be the key to a top half finish. 

I've seen Wilkinson getting a hard time already (more on Steelmen rather than on here) - I think we never learn when it comes to letting folk settle in. KVV is some kind of Messiah now but he wasn't scoring hatricks every week in the LC when he first joined and was written off throughout his first season by plenty who are jumping on the new player now. 

Yesterday was almost the strongest side we could half fielded, probably bar Butcher and the new boy.

We were poor.

I thought the back 3 were pretty solid. O’Donnell was fine, however we need 2 proper wing backs.

Midfield was fine. Slattery looks more interested. Miller had a decent first half. Spittal tried his best to get into the game.

up front, 2 in 3 Obika shouldn’t be a first pick. 2 really bad misses. Even his goal was a poor shot that took a wicked deflection. Wilkinson. Hmmm. Really not sure. Seemed to be running in treacle and I didn’t remember him having a single shot. Hopefully will rise Porter-esq and become a hero.

needs RWB, LWB, Striker (possibly x2)

Ideal scenario Mugabi/Lambie out, McGinley, Maguire, Shields out. Then see if any gems available later in the window.

24 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Yesterday was almost the strongest side we could half fielded, probably bar Butcher and the new boy.

We were poor.

I thought the back 3 were pretty solid. O’Donnell was fine, however we need 2 proper wing backs.

Midfield was fine. Slattery looks more interested. Miller had a decent first half. Spittal tried his best to get into the game.

up front, 2 in 3 Obika shouldn’t be a first pick. 2 really bad misses. Even his goal was a poor shot that took a wicked deflection. Wilkinson. Hmmm. Really not sure. Seemed to be running in treacle and I didn’t remember him having a single shot. Hopefully will rise Porter-esq and become a hero.

needs RWB, LWB, Striker (possibly x2)

Ideal scenario Mugabi/Lambie out, McGinley, Maguire, Shields out. Then see if any gems available later in the window.

McGinley is going nowhere based on Kettlewell interview on BBC post match. Now he may just be being nice, but he did say and I quote “Motherwell fans know Nathan is a good player”.  So I can see Souare being 1st pick and Nathan being back up assuming he is over whatever issues / injuries he had. 

If I had to guess I would say we would be looking for a RB to compete with SODs and another couple of strikers if as expected Shields moves on. I guess that would be that unless anyone else moves on. 

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Limited Pre-season is not an excuse when he's the only reason he had a limited pre-season.  If it didn't take 2 months to decide he wasn't too good for us... 🤷‍♂️

You might not like it as an excuse, but it's absolutely the reason he's still a bit shaky and not up to what he was last season.

As others have said, Casey is not up to speed yet but he's already more solid than Lamie or Mugabi who both had a full pre season.

19 minutes ago, welldaft said:

McGinley is going nowhere based on Kettlewell interview on BBC post match. Now he may just be being nice, but he did say and I quote “Motherwell fans know Nathan is a good player”.  So I can see Souare being 1st pick and Nathan being back up assuming he is over whatever issues / injuries he had. 

If I had to guess I would say we would be looking for a RB to compete with SODs and another couple of strikers if as expected Shields moves on. I guess that would be that unless anyone else moves on. 

Please tell me Kettlewell didn’t say “Motherwell fans know Nathan is a good player”?

I sincerely hope he’s over his issues/injuries but we all know he’s terrible at fitba. 

As someone said to me when we didn’t re-sign Moult (a major mistake imo ) “we’re not a charity”