Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye. It's a bit of a yer da take but he's too wee and he doesn't seem to be technically good enough to compensate for it. 

I hate being that guy aswell but even having that burst of pace would help him. I appreciate he hasn’t been given a good run in the team but there is just something missing for me. 

I do think there is a player there, where and how used, I don’t have a clue and neither I think does Kettlewell.

Edit to add - with Efford going seemingly, Tierney now aswell it leaves us hell of a short in attacking and forward options. I know he said he wants one or two more but it would need to be two in my opinion, minimum. 

Edited by wellboy1991

5 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Edit to add - with Efford going seemingly, Tierney now aswell it leaves us hell of a short in attacking and forward options. I know he said he wants one or two more but it would need to be two in my opinion, minimum. 

If we convert Tierney, Efford and Shields into two usable options it'll be excellent business.

29 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

He's simply too lightweight to make it in this league, IMO. He's not quick or strong enough.

Good to see him heading off to the technical league that is, *checks notes*, League Two in England.

I don't think his size is a big issue, as there's plenty of good players with a similar height and build, but he's had a string of injuries and can't force his way into the team when he's fit, so a loan makes sense.

If we were using a different system I could see us persevering with him, but where would he fit in currently? Part of the front 2?

Maybe the loan helps us figure that part out.

I really like the guy and have been desperate for him to do well. You can see he is a good finisher and I would have been inclined to have tried him playing off Obika these past couple of weeks rather than Ferrie. That being said his only decent performance last season was at home to ICT in the cup so he doesn’t have much credit in the bank.

My problem with him is that he doesn’t protect/ keep the ball well enough in the final third . That leads to turnover of possession - quite often when our players are out of position defensively. 

I can only think that Ketts wants to use the budget on someone else. The way things are looking at the moment we need another two forwards and a RWB just to stand still.

With the caveat that I do like Tierney as a player, I'm pleasantly surprised by how well we seem to be doing in shifting guys on given we don't have a CEO etc. I suppose there's no guarantee we're not taking losses just to get them off our books tbf but Ketts seems quite good at telling people to f**k off.

It's a low risk loan really. He's got another year after he comes back so we've got a buffer. 

Best case: he does really well, bulks up a bit and comes back an improved option. 

Worst case: he doesn't do well, proves to be a bust and we can look at emptying him this time next year.

Cut Throat Ketts takes no shit. 

I like Tierney a lot and he's absolutely someone I'm rooting for but ultimately with the team set up as it is the only realistic spot that he's a shout for is the Spittal role and on current form that's not happening. Another season of Rossi being parked on the bench isn't going to do anyone any favours either.

I'm pleased it's a loan as he's still contracted to 2025 so as @well fan for life says above this should, in theory, give him an opportunity go get a run in another team (who aren't league rivals) and we can take it from there in terms of how things look going forward.

I mean, it's not like we've Danzaki'd him.

It's interesting to hear the Efford rumours as aside from him being listed as a "doubt" last Monday he's kind of disappeared after the bounce games in the Netherlands and I thought his name was kind of conspicuous in its absence with Kettlewell and Frail's chat about wanting to add attacking options.

Edited by capt_oats

Walsall? don't they know that if we want to make money on him he needs to go to Newcastle?

Our record with getting players from the LOI isn't very good, Murphy, Malloy, Keegan and now Tierney fingers crossed Blaney bucks the trend. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I like Tierney a lot and he's absolutely someone I'm rooting for but ultimately with the team set up as it is the only realistic spot that he's a shout for is the Spittal role and on current form that's not happening. Another season of Rossi being parked on the bench isn't going to do anyone any favours either.

I suspect I'm not not alone in very much admiring SK's decisiveness in dinghying X, Y and Z while not always being convinced he's getting every individual decision right.

Yes, Spittal has that spot locked down but do we really think he'll never have a bad day, run, injury or suspension?

And then it only makes sense to have binned Tierney if you can recruit someone who is better/cheaper/has more potential.

It would be unfair to say I'm concerned but I'm a little nervous about whether SK will cut the mustard at the harder bit of actually bringing in better than what he's just ditched.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'm pleased it's a loan as he's still contracted to 2025 so as @well fan for life says above this should, in theory, give him an opportunity go get a run in another team (who aren't league rivals) and we can take it from there in terms of how things look going forward.

Feel the same.

I am a little concerned (just a little) that we are boxing ourselves into a single system and formation, with fewer and fewer options for flexibility and alternative tactics against certain opposition though. Tierney could have been tested as a second striker behind Obika/Wilkinson to fit the standard formation while coming off the bench as an attacking mid/number 10, for example - just to give us options. But equally he needs to be playing at his age so I get the logic.

10 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Feel the same.

I am a little concerned (just a little) that we are boxing ourselves into a single system and formation, with fewer and fewer options for flexibility and alternative tactics against certain opposition though. Tierney could have been tested as a second striker behind Obika/Wilkinson to fit the standard formation while coming off the bench as an attacking mid/number 10, for example - just to give us options. But equally he needs to be playing at his age so I get the logic.

Aye, agreed, that's my main worry too. But the squad is still being shaped I guess.

Of all of the lads getting shipped out I thought Tierney offered us the best chance of 'changing it'. Also thought he deserved a chance but clearly the manager wasn't going to guarantee him regular fitba.

However, if clearing the decks of Tierney, Mahon, Danzaki, Shields + anyone else clears the way for a couple of 'good' forward players then fair enough. 

Proof will be in the Kettlewell Transfer Market  pudding.

3 hours ago, Desp said:

Good to see him heading off to the technical league that is, *checks notes*, League Two in England.

That sounds like a Walsall problem, not an us problem, so that's fine by me.