Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Hard agree that we're not changing things tactically. Tbh, there's no real reason to.

It didn't happen on Saturday but there are at least reason as to why that was the case - rejigging the defence and Big Mika not being ready to start are probably the obvious ones.

Either way, the fact that we brought in Biereth at the very least shows that we knew that he (or a player like him) was/is what was/is needed to pair with one of Wilkinson/Obika/Bair - so that's fine. He was brought in as our first pick #9 as there's not a chance Arsenal were sending him up here to get 15 mins off the bench or whatever so like it or not we're now down a first choice starter.

I guess the problem is that given a deal like that probably took a while to sort out and was presumably viewed as the final jigsaw piece for our forward options - I can't imagine we'd have been expecting to need to find an alternative with a week or so of the window to go. I mean, I'm sure they exist and there are probably iterations of Mika kicking about the various EPL academies but it's a pain in the arse that we probably hadn't planned for.

The wing-back stuff makes sense purely from a numbers POV. Assuming McGinn is now viewed as a fixture in the back 3 after Saturday (if he's not, he should be) it leaves us with only Soaré and SOD as our WB options given Kettlewell didn't seem up for fucking around and finding out with either McGinley or Wilson dropped in to big Pape's role (which is understandable).

8 minutes ago, eliphas said:

For the sake of more debate..has it/the system and players in it this season worked really? I'd argue it's laboured more than worked.

It's still better than Hammell's reign. But it's not reaching the heights of post Hammell Ketts and for all the reasons folk have mentioned 

Believe it or not,  I am pretty positive overall. But it just feels like we are teetering slightly

I'd say it's a case of it's not *not* worked.

It's fine but it's missing the parts that make it work as well as it did. Biereth was clearly one of those things and I'd imagine that the WBs were what we were planning on addressing in the next week.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

If everyone is fit, I would imagine Saturday's team will be the same team that started against Hibs, with hopefully some new options from the bench. Don't see us moving away from 3-5-2. 

After the chasni pie, I'd like to see a more bold tactical move from the catering staff, perhaps moving to a South Indian garlic chilli based snack. 

Despite having strong options on the bench such as South Indian Garlic Donner, Mixed Kebab and Chicken Patia the MFC catering team have opted for an unchanged pie line up for Saturday albeit with an increased volume. So it will be Chicken Tikka Chasni and Donner with Pakora Sauce as the specialty pie once again. Will hopefully be accompanied by a 'Well victory but will be a tough ask as Killlie look well drilled as well as being hard as nails

3 hours ago, eliphas said:

It's still better than Hammell's reign. But it's not reaching the heights of post Hammell Ketts and for all the reasons folk have mentioned 

Somewhere between Hammell's reign and Kettlewell's end to last season was always how I envisaged this season to go.

I don't think anyone could have expected to replicate that (65% win rate, mercurial striker scoring everything he touched) especially when our budget has been cut as significantly as it has.

1 hour ago, redstarcvedza said:

Despite having strong options on the bench such as South Indian Garlic Donner, Mixed Kebab and Chicken Patia the MFC catering team have opted for an unchanged pie line up for Saturday albeit with an increased volume. So it will be Chicken Tikka Chasni and Donner with Pakora Sauce as the specialty pie once again. Will hopefully be accompanied by a 'Well victory but will be a tough ask as Killlie look well drilled as well as being hard as nails

We'll show Killie how to make a pie!! 

👊 🥧 

2 hours ago, redstarcvedza said:

I'm in York on Saturday so I am missing the Chasni pie again (sold out last time afore KO)

19 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

kettlewell apologised for his slanderous outburst yet?

I'd rather he apologise for the pies selling out than his "outburst"

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've just clocked that- because of work- my first game this season is going to be St Mirren at home next month. I'm going to be so fucking rattled.

https://x.com/bawarmy/status/1694283624995242441?s=46&t=_3KI4izdcIEJqmJGnEOmlA

Don’t forget this one when you’re getting on Dunne’s back

6 hours ago, redstarcvedza said:

Despite having strong options on the bench such as South Indian Garlic Donner, Mixed Kebab and Chicken Patia the MFC catering team have opted for an unchanged pie line up for Saturday albeit with an increased volume. So it will be Chicken Tikka Chasni and Donner with Pakora Sauce as the specialty pie once again. 

Eating at 3pm on a Saturday has never been my thing - but I can see things changing. A Chicken Pathia pie? witchcraft.

ETA - I now massively want a Pathia and I'm not sure I'll last to the weekend. Thanks thread.

Edited by Swello

7 hours ago, redstarcvedza said:

Despite having strong options on the bench such as South Indian Garlic Donner, Mixed Kebab and Chicken Patia the MFC catering team have opted for an unchanged pie line up for Saturday albeit with an increased volume. 

In keeping with The Thread I believe that at least two are injured... Chicken Tikka Chasni is relatively new, and unsure if this will last the full season at this point in its career. Despite not making it to full time in its first appearance however, early signs are promising. Matching up with the Donner could be a wise move in gaining some experience.

54 minutes ago, CoF said:

I've resigned myself to us just treading water till Butcher and Mika return in November just in time to have a few games under their belt then go onto a glorious Scottish cup run. 

Agreed. With what we currently have to work with I think treading water would actually be doing fairly well, but I've already got to thinking that unless we can add very shrewdly in the next few days, Butcher's remit, when fit, is going to be to dig us out of another big fucking hole. 

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I've seen that Ayunga challenge mentioned a few times by the B&W celtic shop mob, I've got to be honest I was expecting a stinking tackle. I got the opposite.

Yeah I’m pretty surprised that they are even trying to compare. Ridiculous but not surprising….