Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I have popped by the match thread mainly to wind them up and promptly disappear again. Sad I know but cheers me up a little after the result yesterday. It says it all that it is almost always only when we play St Mirren. They always react to beating us like we would the Old Firm. Understandable I guess.

I don’t think even Kettlewell thought Bair would be more than solid back up to throw on late in the game if we were chasing a goal or as a disruptive influence. But relying on him to be our main goal threat was never likely to end well. I kept thinking what the result would be if we had KVV, Moult or more pertinently Biereth and Wilkinson available. Maybe the same but I believe we would have taken at least one of our chances and come away with a draw at worst. 

Cannot fault the players for effort and all round play. We were decent all round the pitch and I thought SODs was excellent in the 1st half especially. 

Would like to see the goal again. It was a good cross and hit from Tanner but I could not see St Mirren not being able to defend that situation better. Especially as we had many multiples more crosses into the box from corners and free kicks and yielded very little. If only we had a striker that was adept at attacking crosses. 

I expect very little from the next two games. If we can garner 6 or more points from the remaining 4 games then that would be a decent return for the 1st round of matches. 

Same mate.

Their van was safe, just said that to rile them up 😆 

Mad how easy it is tbh 

"will someone please think of the van!"

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

His wife has defo left him.

I've made a few posts in the match thread and there are a load of decent replies and comments on the game. Don't let the usual suspects noise ye up lads.

'Sensible' obviously picked as an ironic user name. Guys got one, completely shite 'joke' he's used for years. It's been tedious pish since the 2nd time he repeated it. As you say, a lot of decent guys to interact with in the St's support, just scroll past the zoomers or else the match threads just turn into utter, grim as f**k shit-patter-fests.

Edited by 'WellDel

46 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

'Sensible' obviously picked as an ironic user name. Guys got one, completely shite 'joke' he's used for years. It's been tedious pish since the 2nd time he repeated it. As you say, a lot of decent guys to interact with in the St's support, just scroll past the zoomers or else the match threads just turn into utter, grim as f**k shit-patter-fests.

Exact same can be said for you guys. Folk like Busta, Ropy, Ron Aldo, yourself are decent posters. Even Yassin has decent moments though he is a tad highly strung.

Then you have the other side of the coin like welldaft, the boy Alloy or this Tartan Special character.

Need to take the rough with the smooth I suppose.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Exact same can be said for you guys. Folk like Busta, Ropy, Ron Aldo, yourself are decent posters. Even Youssou has decent moments though he is a tad highly strung.

Then you have the other side of the coin like welldaft, the boy Alloy or this Tartan Special character.

There's no shame if you want to change allegiance to the well mate.

I mean a lot have been lurking here for a while, and to be honest it's a bit weird.

5 minutes ago, TartanSpecial said:

I mean a lot have been lurking here for a while, and to be honest it's a bit weird.

Nah I'll pass. I tend go for slightly more engaging entertainment mediums than taking my spawn to watch neds hocking loogies at traffic, thanks.

Can imagine your weans were like 'f**k sake da, can we just go?' whilst you were being entertained by all the groggers.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, TartanSpecial said:

No need for us to switch allegiance to Motherwell when we can see Robinson, Lasley, O’Hara, Mandron, and Charies ‘Hatchetman’ Dunne every week. The only surprise this season is that the SMiSA competition to design our third kit never saw the winning design being a claret & amber affair. 😃

Mental how this has evolved following a dodgy tackle in a cup game.

Never really thought about or cared about St.Mirren in any shape or form. Just felt they were a similar club to our own, existing in a town/city on the periphery of Glasgow with fans with the ability to not fall into the usual following of the old firm.

Hopefully it will go back to that soon enough, as it's getting more than a bit dull now.

2 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Never really thought about or cared about St.Mirren in any shape or form. Just felt they were a similar club to our own, existing in a town/city on the periphery of Glasgow with fans with the ability to not fall into the usual following of the old firm.

Hopefully it will go back to that soon enough, as it's getting more than a bit dull now.

Indeed. Was most unlike Paul McGinn. 😉

8 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

I've always felt ourselves, Motherwell and Killie are sort of makeshift rivals as all three of our actual rivals are significantly worse than we are and we're within a decent distance of one another .

A sort of rivalry of convenience. 

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've always felt ourselves, Motherwell and Killie are sort of makeshift rivals as all three of our actual rivals are significantly worse than we are and we're within a decent distance of one another .

With the internet so dominant these days I feel the real rivalry is now between us diddy/yo-yo clubs much more so than the perma-Championship teams.

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Exact same can be said for you guys. Folk like Busta, Ropy, Ron Aldo, yourself are decent posters. Even Yassin has decent moments though he is a tad highly strung.

:lol:

I can see why I have this reputation among St Mirren fans but, from my own perspective I'm having a laugh the  majority of the time. Although I also really don't like St Mirren and the "not finishing with more points in a league season than us since 198x" record is one I care deeply about.

Thought Mandron did well pulling our defenders out of shape to allow Tanser to score btw.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Outwith a handful of folk who enjoy wading into internet windups, I don't think any Motherwell fans care about the other pair at all (current interest in Robinson, Lasley etc excepted).

Would be amazed if that's not the case in reverse as well.

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Outwith a handful of folk who enjoy wading into internet windups, I don't think any Motherwell fans care about the other pair at all (current interest in Robinson, Lasley etc excepted).

Would be amazed if that's not the case in reverse as well.

Possibly, I just always take the new year game to be the 'closest local rivals' type thing. Usually Killie...Motherwell if they aren't in the league.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Possibly, I just always take the new year game to be the 'closest local rivals' type thing. Usually Killie...Motherwell if they aren't in the league.

For the record, 'rivals' is strong. But Motherwell and Kilmarnock's level over the last 35+ years is something I've always felt we should be on a par with. Established top flight, never really in bother at wrong end save for the odd season here and there.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Aye, it's shite when your actual arch rivals descend into decades long spells of diddy-dom. Even though they're actually closest to us, Hamilton being the dictionary definition of 'Tinpot' means they've never actually been our adversaries. They like to think they are, but their current status as League One dross kinda puts them firmly in 'Wee Man' territory.

Like yourselves with Morton, our real rivals in Airdrie have been off the scene for literally decades now, so I suppose we have to try and build a rivalry of sorts in their absence. So up ye, ya St Mirren Bassa!!

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

For the record, 'rivals' is strong. But Motherwell and Kilmarnock's level over the last 35+ years is something I've always felt we should be on a par with. Established top flight, never really in bother at wrong end save for the odd season here and there.

Aye, that's a perfectly reasonable goal.

We've obviously long given up beating the OF but wins over the Edinburgh duo and, to a lesser extent, Aberdeen are special.

Everyone else is totally interchangeable and judged in the potential away day!

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I said it above and I will say it again. If in the unlikely event St Mirren fans mainly reacted positively or even sensibly to their win yesterday then I would not bother. I should not anyways but an eye for an eye and all that. 

I very rarely ever find myself winding up or wanting to wind up Ross County, Livi, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock fans / threads etc etc. Very little need. 

I do think it is a St Mirren thing. I popped by the recent Dundee match thread on a couple of occasions and that was a bigger car crash than even this game / thread. One common denominator methinks 🤷‍♂️