Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I couldn't get to the game today because of the short notice change of kickoff time (and haven't seen any of it) so I won't be hurting as much as normal - but the tiny crumb of comfort is that over the past few years, we have been moaning that we haven't laid a glove on Rangers and Celtic (especially at Fir Park) - so we've come out of the OF double header having changed that a bit and only a couple of odd goal defeats in very close games isn't the end of the world, even if it feels much worse.

We've now got a decent OF free run of games - so the challenge is to take the boot in the baws and get back into it.

I don't think Shaw has what we need from him. He got a lot of "lazy b*****d" shouts but I think he was told to stay on the last man and chase into the channels.

It's when he got the ball and often lost it without and decent fight that I decided he's not for me.

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't think Shaw has what we need from him. He got a lot of "lazy b*****d" shouts but I think he was told to stay on the last man and chase into the channels.

It's when he got the ball and often lost it without and decent fight that I decided he's not for me.

TBH I think he was a bit of a panic loan. We needed a striker and he was available. We tried to get Fletcher and he turned us down. 

I was driving south to Northumberland today so missed the scoreline and drama until FT. A real sickener to see we equalised in 95 minutes and still lost 😡

All I can say is we have played all the top half sides and our next 4 are against the bottom 3 and even Aberdeen are still bottom half. These next 4 games will tell us even more about how this season will unfold. I hope the players keep playing to the level of the last 3 games and can take their frustrations out in the next few games 🤞.

Also good to read that Biereth and Butcher may be back next month. 

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's going to be really pish when we stop playing well too

Aye, there are definite parallels to last year - but this team is made of different stuff, I'm sure, and I don't see us not returning to good enough form.

If we lose the next three opinions may change!

6 hours ago, jagfox said:

Seems weird we have signed another left back on loan considering we already have Harry Milne in place.

Is McGinley versatile in where he can play?

Is he any good?

@Busta Nut has broadly covered it but he's...fine.

He was a Robinson signing in the Covid season, the PCA had been agreed then the Pandemic hit and we brought him up anyway. By all accounts he had a fairly shite time settling through that period. He was supposedly brought in as a left sided centre back but due to injuries he ended up just playing at left back.

He's one of those players that a section of our support just don't like. His face doesn't fit.

He's not in any way a sexy player, he has an awkward style of play and tbh he looks more like an accountant than a fitba' player. Despite that he became Alexander's default LB and in turn became a bit of a lightning rod due to the fact that folk didn't much like Alexander's style of play and he essentially played in a way that followed Alexander's instructions ie: a centre back playing as a defensive full back. It felt like that everything was just doubled down on when Grezza gave him a two year extension.

He picked up an injury shortly after then just seemed to disappear and only really appeared again during the summer.

Like others I genuinely hope he does a turn for you guys as he seems a nice enough lad and he could do with getting a fresh start and games under his belt

All the best Toby.

Edited by capt_oats

Thought the game changed a lot when Shaw came on today. I’m not saying he’s rotten full stop, and I’m not suggesting he needs to win every ball, but today he needed to put pressure on the Celtic defence or hold the ball up for another (literally) 2 seconds to allow the defence to move out even a little bit. When he’s the only guy up the park that’s what job  we needed him to do and I don’t think he did that. 

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

@Busta Nut has broadly covered it but he's...fine.

He was a Robinson signing in the Covid season, the PCA had been agreed then the Pandemic hit and we brought him up anyway. By all accounts he had a fairly shite time settling through that period. He was supposedly brought in as a left sided centre back but due to injuries he ended up just playing at left back.

He's one of those players that a section of our support just don't like. His face doesn't fit.

He's not in any way a sexy player, he has an awkward style of play and tbh he looks more like an accountant than a fitba' player. Despite that he became Alexander's default LB and in turn became a bit of a lightning rod due to the fact that folk didn't much like Alexander's style of play and he essentially played in a way that followed Alexander's instructions ie: a centre back playing as a defensive full back. It felt like that everything was just doubled down on when Grezza gave him a two year extension.

He picked up an injury shortly after then just seemed to disappear and only really appeared again during the summer.

Like others I genuinely hope he does a turn for you guys as he seems a nice enough lad and he could do with getting a fresh start and games under his belt

All the best Toby.

And here is a picture, I won’t be needing it any more 

0456CF0C-3E17-4B4C-8703-A3477A079561.jpeg

The way Bair was chasing the ball down and putting pressure on Celtic gave us some rest defensively and kept the ball away from our goal.

When Oli Shaw came on I am gonna say he is what lost us the game. Couldn’t hold the ball up and didn’t put any pressure on Celtic at all. You would have thought he had run about for 85 mins the way he wasn’t trying. 

Surely with all these outgoings in loans we’re looking at one more forward player coming in. I’d even take Stu McKinstry back to try him out behind the striker it would give us something different. The past 3 games we’ve been decent but our attack just lacked a bit of Edge. 

3 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Honestly, what if we just don't offer celtic an away allocation? It's not like we gonthat much to the away games and it would cut down on the stewarding issues?

An absolute shit show by the stewards and far too many celtic fans in the home end 

I doubt celtic will complain as they didn't with Rangers.

I would put them in top tier next game and just close the bottom tier. Happy to crowdfund the shortfall if the club can tell us the cost 👍

Another game leaving feeling positive but gutted at the same time. Boys so deserved something today with the effort and skill they put into the game. 

Such poor rangers and Celtic team's so should have taken something from both games.

Hope the person in the Cooper that was being given CPR is ok, so sorry to see that and them being ok the only thing that matters tonight.

Edited by Dosser1886