Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Louis Moukt equalises for Utd. Missed one game, so much for being being crocked. Never mind, we have Bair, Wilkinson, Obika and Shaw!  😂 

Absolute humpties every one of them! 

You really need to get over Moult. 

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

You really need to get over Moult. 

I would if he was injured and/or we could hit a coo on the arse ourselves. He’s coming off the bench and scoring for Utd, exactly what many have advocated he could do for us. 

We have the worst collection of forwards of any team in the league and our own worst collection since the season we had Main, Bowman, Johnson and Sammon. 

The same squad that we have been praising over the past few weeks. And this is the level of performance that they give us? Absolutle shambles.

We need someone back who will take a shot. Im fed up with 10-12 touches in the box/just outside and then just giving it away.

That was an absolute shambles today. Cannot believe Kettlewell didn't change the shape at half time after the red card. Not saying we'd have gotten anything, but there was literally a blue print on how to play with 10 men there from the other week. 

Absolutely no positives from that today. 

So many bad performances, but special mention for Wilkinson, hilariously bad at fitba. 

8 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

So many bad performances, but special mention for Wilkinson, hilariously bad at fitba. 

I was only half watching by the end but I thought Wilkinson put himself about more than the other pair combined.

Hardly a ringing endorsement of course.

I guess Miller being banned makes changing to 3-5-2 easy next time but picking the front pair is sweat inducing.

Wilkinson is absolutely pish. Reeking of the ‘bad’ signings you get from down south who think that because they played in league 1 they will skoosh it up here and turn out to be utter gash.

Oli Shaw was born offside and even then, can’t finish anything. Absolutely useless. 

Paton has been great recently but was miles off it today, the midfield entirely was poor, Slattery and Spittal both guilty of overplaying absolutely every attack. Pish. 

I actually think Bair looked the best of the strikers again today (not that there was a high standard) and would have liked to have seem him paired with someone. 

Wilkinson's dive at the end was desperate stuff and looked absolutely pathetic from where I was sitting.

I was sitting level with where Bair was playing in the first half, his touches were really good, he flicked on in the first 5 seconds resulting in a corner.  He needs someone beside him.  Give him a shot with a partner.  If he is gash then so be it.

It’s funny how we see things differently but I thought Wilkinson was decent when he came on. He’s obviously still short of fitness but he had some nice touches . I think a lot  of people have written him off- he’s no world beater but if we can keep him fit I think he will make a positive contribution to our season. 

The Bair witch project needs shelved though. Teams just play a high line against us as we don’t have pace to run in behind Time for something different and hopefully in the next few weeks we will have the option to play a front two again .

Momentum and confidence are massive in football and regardless of the manner they arrive in, four defeats on the bounce does start to concern you.

The hard lucky story must be draining for the players. I know we were honkin today but there is the whole "had we not had a player sent off right on half time" line, to go with the three preceding games where we played well and had nothing to show for it. In a perverse way, part of me thinks if we'd taken a doing off one of the old firm and came back fired up. 

Unfortunately, the markets we are shopping in dictate the quality of player we have. We've massively cut our cloth this season and we have 21 first team players for a 20 man squad - one of whom has just turned 17 and another who very publicly was only signed due to injuries to others. 

I would say that my biggest criticism so far of Kettlewell's dealings is signing Obika and Souaré. I think anyone who had a quick browse at transfermarkt could have foreseen these 33 year olds who can't string five games together spending time on the sidelines. Especially when for me, both fall into the decent category - not worth the gamble of two slots in a in already small squad.

We know Mugabi has a moment like today in him - sadly with Butcher out we've had to play him more than we'd have liked to. I have almost made peace with the fact he's as good a backup centre back as we're entitled with our current budget.

The striking situation hasn't been ideal. Biereth was class for half an hour against Hibs, but I'm worried about him getting better with each game he misses. So far, Shaw seems an expert in fluffing his lines, wondering how many chances he'll need to put one away. Wilkinson has yet to convince me, but I'm still rather pissed off about him being 6'2" and taking a corner last week and hitting the first man. The only way you take corners at that height is if you're class at them. Bair hasn't been as bad as St. Johnstone fans had billed him to be, and Spittal and Slattery have played nice stuff off him but you get the impression he would do better with someone up beside him.

Given our small squad is made up of centre backs, wing backs, centre mids and strikers, I hope we've not put all of our eggs in the one basket.

I'm not in any way worried about us going down at the end of the season or anything, but I certainly do think with or circumstances, been up around 3rd was a false economy.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm not in any way worried about us going down at the end of the season or anything, but I certainly do think with or circumstances, been up around 3rd was a false economy.

Third was obviously q little fortuitous but if we hand St Johnstone a first win next week, the parallels to last season will fair jangle the nerves.

I usually hate going into the international break on a poor run but a deep breath and fresh start will do us no harm at all.

Would be delighted to see Wilkinson turn out to be a player, just haven't seen much to suggest he will be yet. 

A frustrating day all in, for very different reasons to the last three games. 

IMO we're crying out for a Bruce Anderson-type... when's he out of contract? 

Sadly I had no expectation of 3 points today. Games over there are generally very tight affairs with no midfield pattern and I think they were probably due a result against us .

The only positive on the horizon is the international break might see Butcher and Biereth closer to match day squads.

I would take a point right now in Perth on 21st just to stop the rot. We then need to target 3 points against County at home the following week.