Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

28 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I mean we all knew this was the case already but it's still depressing to see it written down.

It's a digest of 3 months of tear stained stuff on The Thread that we've done to death - but it's useful for a wider audience to see it. I think the point that our recruitment on all fronts has been really poor for a while probably isn't widely appreciated - everyone just thinks of KVV and thinks we still do well on that front as we have in the past.

It also doesn't hurt that the board feel a bit of heat too as there is still a misapprehension amongst folk that don't pay attention that we are the model town club, which to be fair we arguably were for a while. The current drift started when Burrows was still here but the current void where some leadership should be can't continue and is one of the main reasons that we are currently circling the drain...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

It also doesn't hurt that the board feel a bit of heat too as there is still a misapprehension amongst folk that don't pay attention that we are the model town club, which to be fair we arguably were for a while. The current drift started when Burrows was still here but the current void where some leadership should be can't continue and is one of the main reasons that we are currently circling the drain...

100%. Drift is the key word there 

We've drifted from a period about 8/9 years ago, around Les Hutchison time, where we had 7  board members + a CEO to now having, I think, 3 board members and a part time interim CEO. I'd argue we were probably bloated around that time Les was in with all the sub committees etc but we've swung the other way completely.

I don't doubt the passion of everyone that's left and fair play to them for actually trying to get on with it, but when it's all part time and unpaid work (which is fine and not that odd) it's just not enough bodies to enact meaningful change.

We need someone in to steer the ship on a regular day to day basis pronto. Aiming at an experienced football club CEO type is probably hurting us as we can't pay the wages. So, we likely need to take a bit of a risk on that front. 

3 minutes ago, eliphas said:

We need someone in to steer the ship on a regular day to day basis pronto. Aiming at an experienced football club CEO type is probably hurting us as we can't pay the wages. So, we likely need to take a bit of a risk on that front. 

Agree totally. Continuing as is cannot be an option and the top dollar required for an established boss isn't happening either (not least because even if we were willing to pay the salary, they will ask for supporting staff/structures I cannot imagine us countenancing). So that leaves gambling on an up and comer, initially on a short leash like burrows, is the only choice.

18 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The guy is 42.

Pretty sure his best days are behind him.

Even at CB!

🤪🤪🤪

He's only 42 ? Get him up front with Mika. Must still be more mobile than Wilkinson, less injury prone than Obika and more... well, everything than Shaw and Bair.  

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Team news out on the fishel, which would seem to point to:

Kelly (though I'd drop him)

SOD, Mugabie, Blaney

Spencer, Slattery, Davor, Spittal, Gent

Biereth, Obika

Unless we continue with the mental 5-2-3 or break out a back four.

Gent and Spencer in their natural positions, hopefully giving us a bit of width and pace. What is this madness!!!!

50 minutes ago, eliphas said:

100%. Drift is the key word there 

We've drifted from a period about 8/9 years ago, around Les Hutchison time, where we had 7  board members + a CEO to now having, I think, 3 board members and a part time interim CEO. I'd argue we were probably bloated around that time Les was in with all the sub committees etc but we've swung the other way completely.

I don't doubt the passion of everyone that's left and fair play to them for actually trying to get on with it, but when it's all part time and unpaid work (which is fine and not that odd) it's just not enough bodies to enact meaningful change.

Yep.

I'm sure we had this conversation last year before Ketts turned us around so swiftly, but it's death by a thousand cuts. None of the individual things are that bad, but it's the combined total of them that leaves us in the shit, and will continue until someone has a firmer grip on it. We basically had a guy appointed CEO, it seemed like, then he decided against it so we've... just given up on recruiting? Like, don't get me wrong, relatable feeling of "I tried once and it didn't work so why bother trying again" and that, but nnnaaaah.

Once again, amazed that the media team even manage to keep their shit going and huge kudos to Scott and that team who appear to be interviewer, camera, comms, strategy, planning and everything else that needs done?

Happy to be told I'm wrong but if that's our off the field staff, then I'm somewhat doubtful out on the field staff and recruitment team are swimming in time and support either.

27 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

SOD, Mugabie, Blaney

Biereth, Obika

SOD at centre back has disaster written all over it however this is what I reckon we'll end up with. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

SOD, Mugabie, Blaney

Biereth, Obika

The injuries and suspensions should force Kettlewells hand into going back to the 5-3-2.

However with our abundance of shit strikers, I can see him playing the 5-2-3 and firing Spittal to LWB and playing Wilko in the 10 role again. 

That seriously would piss me off. The team has got to be what you said above with for me Wilkinson or Bair in beside Mika up top. I don’t rate Obika in the slightest. Can’t see any gel so far between JO and MB.  They look so far off each others wave lengths.