Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I had a swatch at Kettlewell's post-match and noted that he's talking about us needing to add to what we have for depth (which is a fair comment and consistent with what he's said before).

Dunno, it's a case of reading between the lines but it sounded like ideally we'd like to see a bit of movement.

Obvs that's Souaré out the door now and McGinley back in (for now). It'll be interesting to see how quickly we get bodies in the door.

Last season was obviously unusual on account of the break landing in November through to mid-December rather than January but the bulk of our business was announced pretty last minute - of the 9 we brought in Danzaki was the 28th January, Furlong, Aitchison were announced on "deadline day", Obika the morning after with Butcher and Casey after the window closed.

Either way, the way Kettlewell's been talking it sounds like he knows we need bodies in.

Also, with Blaney apparently injured now and Casey still out long term(ish) would we be inclined to recall the Bathgate Maldini from Dundee although I've seen a couple of mentions on their thread that he's injured as well? Is that right @Ludo*1?

Like, I'm not advocating it but if we've not had a left sided centre back on our agenda and we find ourselves short it'd save a bit of time having to recruit one.

Edited by capt_oats

Barry Maguire hasn't been in Kidderminster's squad for the last 8 games and I can't see anything about him being injured. If that's the case, they're unlikely to want to keep him and the fact that he played 30 minutes as a sub across the Elgin, Queen's Park and East Fife games games means he can't go anywhere else this season now, unless I'm mistaken. Surely we should've had more savvy than to bring a guy we wanted shot of on to run down the clock? With McGinley, it's fortunate he didn't play a single minute with Partick and is therefore eligible to go elsewhere, but unfortunate that due to his lack of impact, there won't be anyone queueing to take him off our hands.

I imagine letting Lamie out of loan was pretty much on the premise that was him gone forever with his contract up. Given Casey is already well in to his 6-8 weeks and Blaney is only listed as a doubt for tomorrow's game makes me think that's unlikely.

Like Maguire, unless we have a break clause with Shaw, I reckon he'll be with us till the summer as he's already played for Barnsley this season.

15 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Barry Maguire hasn't been in Kidderminster's squad for the last 8 games and I can't see anything about him being injured. If that's the case, they're unlikely to want to keep him and the fact that he played 30 minutes as a sub across the Elgin, Queen's Park and East Fife games games means he can't go anywhere else this season now, unless I'm mistaken. Surely we should've had more savvy than to bring a guy we wanted shot of on to run down the clock? With McGinley, it's fortunate he didn't play a single minute with Partick and is therefore eligible to go elsewhere, but unfortunate that due to his lack of impact, there won't be anyone queueing to take him off our hands.

I imagine letting Lamie out of loan was pretty much on the premise that was him gone forever with his contract up. Given Casey is already well in to his 6-8 weeks and Blaney is only listed as a doubt for tomorrow's game makes me think that's unlikely.

Like Maguire, unless we have a break clause with Shaw, I reckon he'll be with us till the summer as he's already played for Barnsley this season.

Oddly, Maguire played in their FA trophy match on Dec 9th but hasn't featured in the league since, and before that it was mid November. Well out the picture I'd say. 

12 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Hearing Spencer gone back to Huddersfield and Wilko to Colchester.

Interesting Wilkinson not surprising. Is Spencer a recall then? That would be shame. Will miss his pace if we have to play SOD out there.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Spencer is suspended today.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Spencer is suspended today.

Both right it seems. Yes he is suspended but he is on his way back to Huddersfield.

18 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Both right it seems. Yes he is suspended but he is on his way back to Huddersfield.

Would be interested to know if he's been recalled or we have sent him back

Scores are cuurently going more or less in our favour. Livi loosing, County loosing... maybe a draw between Aberdeen and County would be better, espcially if we can hold out at Easter Road. Dundee v Saints being called off is probably better for us too.

Edited by superwell87
spelling

1 minute ago, ropy said:

We restart with games against St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Ross County.  An opportunity to kick on.

I'd take 7 points from those games right now. full points v Saints and County, a point v Killie. 9 points would be magic though.

I can't bring myself to care much about any player in this current squad leaving, other than Bair because he's a machine now.

While a draw was disappointing based on us being a couple of minutes away from a win, how we managed to only concede 2 goals today with that defensive performance I don't know.