Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

just googled Motherwell to get onto the website and seen this tweet;

Source There has been some real interest in James Cameron from a variety of clubs across multiple markets, especially Columbus Crew & DC United for this upcoming season, not Next Pro but MLS. Others include FC Copenhagen, Everton & Motherwell for a potential January transfer 🇨🇦

thought for a second thee James Cameron fancied spending some of his 800m. Turns out we are just battling with Everton and copenhagen for a player. Probably cause we got 2m views on a video.

Aye so, in the cold light of day, the video's not actually that bad. I think what's gotten under my skin (and everyone else's it would seem) is the context of it coming out after we'd been told for christ knows how long about a fundraising and investment initiative.

I expect most of us thought we'd hear about business pitches, partnerships, on-going discussions, revenue streams, maybe even some info about a future stadium move, boardroom restructure, potentially interested parties etc etc. And what did we get?

"Taylor Swift, gie's some dosh"

Sort of reminds me of when I spent 6 months telling my art teacher that I was working on this amazing design project to submit at the end of the year, and what I actually turned in was whatever I'd managed to cobble together the night before the deadline.

Edited by Al B

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

I've cooled off a bit since yesterday, mainly about the video itself, as fair play to the players and coaches for playing along with it.

As with most, my biggest frustration is that this came out after a "fundraising initiative" had been promised for the last couple of years, and I expected a lot more given that timeline. As per @Busta Nut , it' now down to what we do next, and that is the bit I'm very very skeptical about. I just have the feeling the chairman is sitting by an old fashioned dial phone that isn't plugged in, waiting for JR Ewing to call.

Are you going to have a word with Taylor or not?

Having now had a bit of time to reflect on the video, it still makes me turn inside out with cringe. However, with it approaching almost 2m views on Twitter alone it's certainly had the desired reach. 

I'd obviously love it if it prompted some bored millionaire somewhere to chuck a few (hundred thousand) quid our way but I'm still dubious.

You don't ask, you don't get I suppose. 

17 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Are you going to have a word with Taylor or not?

Funnily enough, I work with someone who used to be on her A&R team. He's a fucking gobshite though, so not happening.

I can speak to Jerry Lawler though, or elvis.

Edited by rowsdower

20 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Funnily enough, I work with someone who used to be on her A&R team. He's a fucking gobshite though, so not happening.

I can speak to Jerry Lawler though, or elvis.

Jerry Lawler would no doubt have The Rock's number?

Vince Mcmahon could do with something to do nowadays too?

Edited by SteelyDosser

Vince would be great for the scottish game. Signing opposition players mid game, pumping the players full of drugs, covering up murders, only signing absolute units. Would be great. I'll call him.

What do you think is the end game of The Video, and what would you as a fan be happy with?

I think it’s really difficult. While obviously investment is a good thing, how much do we want, and in fantasy land how much would be “too much”? Is there a too much?

Just now if the club think having a heap of well society members is hard to navigate (how much to involve members, what decisions should go to members etc etc), how’s that going to work when you have 10 Americans kicking in 200K each and thinking they’re Fenway Sports? What level of discussions will there be with any would be investor before we take the money, what would that “buy” them? 

I get this post is just a bit of a brain dump, but I have many more questions than anything else after that video.  Like others have said I expected a more formal sales pitch along the lines of this is what we’re giving for this amount of cash. 

I see McGarry's saying that McMahon is footing the bill for this himself in the new mailout that's just landed (go and sign up etc).

"Just how bad is the financial situation at the club to have stooped to such a level, was my first question. How could this possibly work, was my next. And how much has it cost?

Well, to answer the last question first, I understand the cost ran into five figures, but that McMahon picked up the bill for that himself. So, fair play to him if that is indeed the case."

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I know nothing of Mahon but I always get a bit annoyed when these guys leave with not having reached the first team much.

I saw him in a 20s game against EK and he was anonymous. I'm still raging though, it's the principle. I'm only just over Ross MacLean going.

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I see McGarry's saying that McMahon is footing the bill for this himself in the new mailout that's just landed (go and sign up etc).

I hope he kept the receipt

22 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I saw him in a 20s game against EK and he was anonymous. I'm still raging though, it's the principle. I'm only just over Ross MacLean going.

If I kept a list of tiny, irrelevant things which really annoyed me, Petravicius being named on the bench for the 2018 cup final ahead of MacLean is right up there.

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If I kept a list of tiny, irrelevant things which really annoyed me, Petravicius being named on the bench for the 2018 cup final ahead of MacLean is right up there.

That ws just so the boxing guy had to say his name. Nothing personal.

5 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Bigi and Frear coming on instead of Turnbull. Funnel it to him on the edge of the box a few times and we're taking it to ET!