Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I make it 13 from 25 league goals this season, have been scored or assisted by someone who won't play for us again. That makes the window hard to navigate.

On Saturday in essence we are picking from 12 players:

Kelly, O'Donnell, Gent, Montgomery, McGinn, Mugabi, Butcher, Davor, Paton, Spittal, Obika, Bair.

I honestly looked at it and thought the most natural shape was O'Donnell at wing back, with Butcher in midfield, but trying to read Ketts, I'm predicting O'Donnell inside one, Spittal at wing back and Butcher in midfield.

I dunno. Kettlewell can't have seen Butcher's last go at midfield and though it was a good idea to do it again. Surely.

9 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I dunno. Kettlewell can't have seen Butcher's last go at midfield and though it was a good idea to do it again. Surely.

I think in some ways that makes it more likely to happen 😂 I think whatever the lineup is, it will be have a back three and at least one player playing in a position they're not fully comfortable or utilised in.

Butcher was dreadful the last game he played in midfield. A yard off the pace and doesn’t have the legs to press. I thought he was excellent last season marshalling the back 5 but have the fear that his injury has called time on his career at this level.  Hopefully not, but my usual optimism has been crushed this season with what has gone on.

Also can someone explain to me how fucking Dundee can blow us out the water for Curtis Main or indeed anyone else? We are saying we have funds in the bank - never mind we can all get balance sheets framed for our next season in the Championship.

25 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I make it 13 from 25 league goals this season, have been scored or assisted by someone who won't play for us again. That makes the window hard to navigate.

On Saturday in essence we are picking from 12 players:

Kelly, O'Donnell, Gent, Montgomery, McGinn, Mugabi, Butcher, Davor, Paton, Spittal, Obika, Bair.

I honestly looked at it and thought the most natural shape was O'Donnell at wing back, with Butcher in midfield, but trying to read Ketts, I'm predicting O'Donnell inside one, Spittal at wing back and Butcher in midfield.

An interesting line from Kettlewell in the presser was he thought Montgomery and Gent can play in the same team. Which is some going if we're keeping three at the back.

1 minute ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Butcher was dreadful the last game he played in midfield. A yard off the pace and doesn’t have the legs to press. I thought he was excellent last season marshalling the back 5 but have the fear that his injury has called time on his career at this level.  Hopefully not, but my usual optimism has been crushed this season with what has gone on.

Also can someone explain to me how fucking Dundee can blow us out the water for Curtis Main or indeed anyone else? We are saying we have funds in the bank - never mind we can all get balance sheets framed for our next season in the Championship.

Dundee have been a financial basketcase on and off for as long as I've been following football, I've long given up understanding them.

As for us, the money in the bank isn't intended to be touched easily. We budget for certain league positionings, cup runs and transfers, if we don't get them the money covers that. Using it in standard circumstances is the road to ruin really.

6 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

It was mentioned at the AGM when Lamie signed his PCA with Dundee that they'd chucked absolutely daft money at him.

Alexander mentioned it publicly as well.

“We were in discussions with his representative for some time, but those were paused when another club made him what was an extremely attractive offer that he had no option but to accept."

Link

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

If McGinn and O’Donnell play, as is likely, do we revert to McGinn in the back three with SOD at RWB or do we recognise that SOD was quite comfortable at RCB?

I'd go for McGinn at wing-back and keep SOD where he is. 

The last game they were either side of Mugabi right enough and Butcher is the only defensive player back since then.

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'd go for McGinn at wing-back and keep SOD where he is. 

The last game they were either side of Mugabi right enough and Butcher is the only defensive player back since then.

I suspect that McGinn is the most versatile and could do a job with various levels of success across the back 5.

42 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

An interesting line from Kettlewell in the presser was he thought Montgomery and Gent can play in the same team. Which is some going if we're keeping three at the back.

I clocked that comment as well.

I think it was @thisGRAEME who mentioned the idea that we could use Gent as a wide forward if we're sticking with the 343. Tbh, the bit of YouTube digging I did when Gent signed threw up a bunch of videos where it looked as though he was effectively playing as a winger.

I think that actually solves Kettlewell's issue with him as well in so much as he doesn't really seem to trust him as a defender but he probably feels he could put up numbers in an advanced role. We've already seen he can put a cross in like.

I reckon we need 6 in to stand still.

A right wing back.

2 midfielders one as a starter with one for our inevitable injury to said starter

2 strikers one as a starter and one as cover for either said starter getting injured or Obika depending on what day of the week it is.

A dominant centre half .

We will probably sign two goalies 

2 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I reckon we need 6 in to stand still.

A right wing back.

2 midfielders one as a starter with one for our inevitable injury to said starter

2 strikers one as a starter and one as cover for either said starter getting injured or Obika depending on what day of the week it is.

A dominant centre half .

We will probably sign two goalies 

What’s Russell Griffiths up to these days?

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I clocked that comment as well.

I think it was @thisGRAEME who mentioned the idea that we could use Gent as a wide forward if we're sticking with the 343. Tbh, the bit of YouTube digging I did when Gent signed threw up a bunch of videos where it looked as though he was effectively playing as a winger.

I think that actually solves Kettlewell's issue with him as well in so much as he doesn't really seem to trust him as a defender but he probably feels he could put up numbers in an advanced role. We've already seen he can put a cross in like.

It would fair stack the left side and arguably help the midfield if he drops in. You could consider something like:

Mugabi, Butcher, McGinn

SOD, Davor, Paton, Montgomery

Spittal, Bair, Gent

You can turn that from 3-4-3 into 5-4-1 easily enough.

You would hope that's enough for Saturday but it's not being particularly panic-merchanty to say that side isn't avoiding the bottom two.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It would fair stack the left side and arguably help the midfield if he drops in. You could consider something like:

Mugabi, Butcher, McGinn

SOD, Davor, Paton, Montgomery

Spittal, Bair, Gent

You can turn that from 3-4-3 into 5-4-1 easily enough.

You would hope that's enough for Saturday but it's not being particularly panic-merchanty to say that side isn't avoiding the bottom two.

Agree with that.

Although in fairness to the point about avoiding the bottom two, listening to Kettlewell's presser it sounds like we absolutely will be bringing bodies in. Someone mentioned it earlier but it sounds like there's a decent chance we'll be a lot busier than expected.

Whether they're the required quality is a different story but the suggestion we're keen on Scott Fraser is quite the step up from Andy Halliday tbf.