Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I don't mean to piss on anyone's chips for whatever little reason for optimism we have at this very moment, but I'm just concerned that he might not be the signing we thought he was going to be.

That's largely where I am. I think everyone - the board, Kettlewell and fans - would find it very hard to say no should a deal be financially possible. The potential reward is huge, there's a risk of looking totally idiotic if you turn it down. But he took a while to get up to speed when signed in 2021, he's clearly a player whose head needs to be in the right place, there are questions physically...

I think we were able to sign two forwards - KVV and a back-up given his situation, Obika's injuries and Shaw's shiteness - I'd go for it.

That's unlikely though and if it's all the eggs going in the big mental Dutch basket I'd probably say no thanks...

35 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's unlikely though and if it's all the eggs going in the big mental Dutch basket I'd probably say no thanks...

I think my main concern surrounding it is that we use the money we had planned for, say a right wing-back and a striker, just on KVV.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think my main concern surrounding it is that we use the money we had planned for a right wing-back and a striker, just on KVV.

Think that's fair, one of Hammell's many failings as a manager was trying to get one or two higher earners in (eg, Moult, Aarons and the attempt for Snodgrass) rather than building a proper squad. 

That doesn't seem like Kettlewell's style mind you, get he's not going to tell the media about where things are but he did make a point in his press conference of saying he's having to use the budget for a number of positions now. 

Edited by MurrayWell

49 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

If I'm honest, I hadn't really considered the lift effect. I guess even in some weird kinda way Ross McCormack signing gave us a lift.

In terms of his actual output as a player.... if this drags out until the end of the month, where he have a reportedly unfit player, who's being training with the reserves, who last started a game on October 20th, how quickly does he get up to speed?

Of course, it could go the other way, and being back near his new family, in front of fans that love him, might gee him up.

I don't mean to piss on anyone's chips for whatever little reason for optimism we have at this very moment, but I'm just concerned that he might not be the signing we thought he was going to be.

It would be a lift in the stands no doubt, but this is exactly why I asked a few pages back as to what his fitness/training had been like since he'd been back, here for the new baby. The answer seems to be pretty shite so, as you say, the longer it goes on the more of a gamble it becomes for any club in need of an immediate impact from him.

I mean, he's obviously not cutting about like Ross McCormack on his ill-fated return, wearing 48 waist jeans and with a heid like a mitre 5, but from when he signed the first time we know he needs a bit of time to get up to speed. In saying that, you'd take him at 50% over Shaw or Obika. It's a signing that would be either a masterstroke or a disaster,. with no in-between. (I'm still fully in the 'no chance we could pull it off' camp anyway).

One does wonder that if there is even the faintest chance of getting him back do we wait right up until the window closes ? Risky business but would be some boost if he signed on loan in the last minute of the transfer window. Whether he is even half the player he was before that would be the best deadline day transfer feeling to top the lot.

I do expect he will end up at Aberdeen or one of the Edinburgh clubs. 

Spoke to a Jambo neighbour today who said he would be happy to see the back of Halliday. Says he is too slow and ponderous. But then again he probably has higher expectations 🤷‍♂️. We just want a signing ✍️…..

After the Scott Fraser link, I'm beginning to wonder if Halliday is viewed as a back-up for us should we still need a midfielder. 

Said previously I think Halliday would be someone who could do a job for six months, but from looking like it would be a done deal it's gone a bit quiet. 

They're both very different players, but I'd be surprised if we bring in two midfielders in this window. If it's a choice between the two, it's not even a question, you'd be going for Fraser. 

EDIT: I've just realised I had completely missed @Desp's post, so I'm probably way off here 😅 

Edited by MurrayWell

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

IIRC when the deal went through in the summer he was effusive in his praise for him but he also chucked in something along the lines of "he's a difficult player to manage".

I think this is totally true - it's obvious even from the outside (and I think Groningen have found this to their cost) that even by Dutch standards, KVV has a fairly high opinion of himself - but you have to say, Kettlewell clearly managed him well enough based on the 2nd half of last season.

KVV is probably one of these players that thrives when he's seen as something special by the club/supporters (I think Moult was the same) - and it might be oddly tempting for him to get back to the hero worship rather than being a bit part/squad player somewhere.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I see there's a suggestion that Biereth's away to Sturm Graz to cut about with Max Johnston.

Between signing Max Johnston then playing him in their reserves and now signing Mika, I'm really not fond of Sturm Graz. 

How 'unfit' is he though. Part of me thinks the statement about him returning from Scotland unfit and sent to train with the kids is sour grapes on their part that things haven't worked out as they would have liked.  Unfit by Dutch standards is probably still peak spfl fitness and if he could ragdoll defences with literally one arm tied behind his back I'm sure he'd be able to give us a lift after a few sleepless nights and some missed training sessions.

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I see there's a suggestion that Biereth's away to Sturm Graz to cut about with Max Johnston.

Given Arsenal have shafted us to give Mika to Sturm Graz, it's only fair that Sturm Graz send us oor Max for the rest of the season. 

15 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

How 'unfit' is he though. Part of me thinks the statement about him returning from Scotland unfit and sent to train with the kids is sour grapes on their part that things haven't worked out as they would have liked.  Unfit by Dutch standards is probably still peak spfl fitness and if he could ragdoll defences with literally one arm tied behind his back I'm sure he'd be able to give us a lift after a few sleepless nights and some missed training sessions.

The thought occured to me too...it's entirely possible he didn't spend his paternity leave eating cakes and this is just their way of exerting a little pressure for him to take his share of the loss.

Would you be away from your new-born, kill your career and be miserable for 10k a week or do you accept 6k (split between the clubs), come back to your family and score goals (maybe) for a fanbase who will happily feed your god-size ego?

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Spoke to a Jambo neighbour today who said he would be happy to see the back of Halliday. Says he is too slow and ponderous. But then again he probably has higher expectations 🤷‍♂️. We just want a signing ✍️…..

This is what I don’t get about those who are desperate for Halliday to sign.  That’s exactly what he is. A slow one paced midfielder. We have enough of those in that I don’t want anymore. 

We need creativity also and Fraser fits that bill IMO. That’s a signing I can get behind. 

21 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, though I'm not a massive fan of Stewart (he has a really fucking weird face)

19 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Dundee have been a financial basketcase on and off for as long as I've been following football, I've long given up understanding them.

19 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Dundee are widely known, and ridiculed, for chucking cash at average players.

Last time I come to an ML1 party :( 

28 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Last time I come to an ML1 party :( 

Ha ha, no offence.

But I remember back to the days of Angus (silent g - copyright GLF) Cook and there have been god knows how many crisis since then.

Nearly everyone else seems to have a properly high point in the cyclical nature of our game since then - us, Killie, St M, St Johnstone obviously but even the Highland clubs, Livingston etc have had moments in the sun. Dundee - despite probably having the biggest potential of the lot, if you ever got it together - have never managed that. Even the fantastic Bonetti team was only fifth or sixth iirc? And that was a properly batshit time off the park, even for you.

As mentioned already, there is definitely a feeling within FP that you (and United, tbf) have been spending more than is wise, whether that's fair I've no idea - would certainly seem so for your neighbours atm.