Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Not unhappy with the draw in terms of it's difficulty as it could obviously have been worse (no offence Morton). However, a bit fed up that we've drawn Morton yet again. 

15 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ve never seen an overreaction like it that night. They seemed to come running over from behind the other goals for about 5 minutes solid.

I think they climbed over the wall then trotted down the side of the park.

8 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ve never seen an overreaction like it that night. They seemed to come running over from behind the other goals for about 5 minutes solid.

The next day I went into work and a guy asked me if I was alright because Sportsound were apparently reporting it as if it was a full on riot.

The whole thing happened about 10 yards in front of me and I've seen bigger stooshies in the middle aisle in Lidl. A mental overreaction from polis.

38 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Not unhappy with the draw in terms of it's difficulty as it could obviously have been worse (no offence Morton). However, a bit fed up that we've drawn Morton yet again. 

Don't worry, the feelings mutual!

Least it's at Cappielow and we will fancy our chances of an upset.

1 minute ago, madton said:

Don't worry, the feelings mutual!

Least it's at Cappielow and we will fancy our chances of an upset.

Does anyone actually track these things to see how it compares to other pairs? I have a vague feeling Celtic-St Mirren comes up more than average.

Also, if they hadn't scrapped replays from the corona time we'd have another two cup replays at Cappielow for the list.

I assume we'll be narrow favourites but tbqhwy it's not far off 50-50.

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Does anyone actually track these things to see how it compares to other pairs? I have a vague feeling Celtic-St Mirren comes up more than average.

Also, if they hadn't scrapped replays from the corona time we'd have another two cup replays at Cappielow for the list.

I assume we'll be narrow favourites but tbqhwy it's not far off 50-50.

Screenshot_20240121-214017.thumb.png.c5a4bbda023cb2aa5ecd97f93de9dbc2.png

Celtic Vs St Mirren has came up 4 times in that period 

3 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part but as Obika wasn’t announced as injured this week has he perhaps been told to find another club?

One of the media guys had mentioned pre match that both Shaw and Obika were missing due to hamstring injuries. It would be nice to see them before go to pastures new but I think we will be stuck with them until the end of the campaign.

1 minute ago, Cloontang said:

One of the media guys had mentioned pre match that both Shaw and Obika were missing due to hamstring injuries. It would be nice to see them before go to pastures new but I think we will be stuck with them until the end of the campaign.

I think I clocked the same tweet but equally if Shaw is still injured then we could legitimately cancel the loan (as we did with Aarons and Moult last season) citing the injury as the reason rather than just wanting shot of him because he's mince. Which seems to be the rumour doing the rounds of what's happening.

Obika being out with a hamstring issue...?

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think I clocked the same tweet but equally if Shaw is still injured then we could legitimately cancel the loan (as we did with Aarons and Moult last season) citing the injury as the reason rather than just wanting shot of him because he's mince. Which seems to be the rumour doing the rounds of what's happening.

Obika being out with a hamstring issue...?

giphy.gif

He was tying his laces and it just went. Could’ve happened to anyone .

1 hour ago, SteelyDosser said:

Avoided the TV games, it's Hearts and Hibs on BBC

Has this been confirmed ? More than likely and hope it is the case.

But because of midweek fixtures before that weekend only ourselves, Rangers and Aberdeen can apparently play on the Friday night. And since Viaplay will choose Rangers and BBC chose Aberdeen in the last round on the Friday……

Edit to add - we play Ross C at home on Tuesday 6th Feb. Aberdeen play Rangers same night. All other teams are down to play on the Wed night. Hope that means there is no Friday night game. 3 days recovery would not be great 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Genuinely bizarre. It would have been a good night to be robbing houses in Greenock as every police officer in Renfrewshire appeared on the scene.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Chic Young was making it out to be WW3. They were bringing in police reinforcements from Paisley for someone tripping over a bench.

As far as I remember, Rangers were playing St. Johnstone in a televised game with an earlier kick off that night and by coincidence some cops were on their way back to Greenock having worked at Ibrox and were told to get to Cappielow after the trouble kicked off.

By the time it kicked off we were in extra time so I dare say that could’ve been an explanation for why there were so many.

18 minutes ago, Toby said:

As far as I remember, Rangers were playing St. Johnstone in a televised game with an earlier kick off that night and by coincidence some cops were on their way back to Greenock having worked at Ibrox and were told to get to Cappielow after the trouble kicked off.

By the time it kicked off we were in extra time so I dare say that could’ve been an explanation for why there were so many.

I couldn't remember for sure whether they came from St Mirren or Rangers but Rangers seemed even more of an over-reaction! Your explanation makes sense though. 

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I couldn't remember for sure whether they came from St Mirren or Rangers but Rangers seemed even more of an over-reaction! Your explanation makes sense though. 

The Rangers game had finished though. I dare say I could find it somewhere, but I think they kicked off half an hour before our game.

Given that our game went into extra time, it probably all kicked off about an hour after full time at Ibrox, so it wasn’t a case of them being re-located from Ibrox, they were just in the area at the time.

A wee bit of digging on Callan Elliot and apparently he was Wellington Phoenix's u23 POTY (I'm guessing the equivalent of YPOTY).

I'm not sure how much stock you'd put in this write up from 'Front Page Football'. It reads like a bit of a puff piece as going by this it makes him sound like the second coming of Roberto Carlos but it's maybe quite useful as a broad overview:

"He shows all the traits required to be a modern-day full-back. Initially serving as a midfielder for Tasman United and in his early Nix career, it is apparent that his good dribbling and superb creativity with the ball have been maintained since being deployed as a defender.

"His contribution to a successful Wellington Phoenix cannot be understated. His defensive presence has been immense, being a disruptor at full-back, snuffing out opponents as they attack in transition. Elliot has also shown near-flawless timing in his tackles for a player who hasn't played a defensive role for long, with a last-ditch effort recently against the Mariners coming to mind. He is averaging 0.5 interceptions per game and 2.5 completed tackles. However, Elliot's physicality could be seen as a weakness, as he has only won 52% of his duels. His attacking contributions almost outweigh his defensive shortcomings, however minor they may be."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

A wee bit of digging on Callan Elliot and apparently he was Wellington Phoenix's u23 POTY (I'm guessing the equivalent of YPOTY).

I'm not sure how much stock you'd put in this write up from 'Front Page Football'. It reads like a bit of a puff piece as going by this it makes him sound like the second coming of Roberto Carlos but it's maybe quite useful as a broad overview:

Wyscout has clips, a good variety of crosses, looks fairly nippy, but honestly the A-League man. Impossible to tell because it's an absolute pub league.

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Wyscout has clips, a good variety of crosses, looks fairly nippy, but honestly the A-League man. Impossible to tell because it's an absolute pub league.

I've watched a few A-League games and it's complete nonsense but very entertaining. However we could end up with a Riku Danzaki or Mark Birighitti type clown show.

At least Tam Aldred looks like he's having a lovely time over there.