Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

I've watched a few A-League games and it's complete nonsense but very entertaining. However we could end up with a Riku Danzaki or Mark Birighitti type clown show.

At least Tam Aldred looks like he's having a lovely time over there.  

It is, but you can't tell whether he's going up against guys like Aldred who are a good level to test against for us, or a guy that picked up SOCCAH three weeks ago.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Wyscout has clips, a good variety of crosses, looks fairly nippy, but honestly the A-League man. Impossible to tell because it's an absolute pub league.

Aye, I think that's why the suggestion from @MurrayWell that a couple of the players we're in for are RWBs kind of made sense. Mitigating risk and all that - it's not like we're running with a bloated squad either for that to be an issue. Ngl I quite liked the sound of big Paacho anaw.

giphy.gif

Reading between the lines it sounds like Elliot had maybe been overpromised by an agent about finding a club here so KB'd the contract offer he had on the table from Wellington - in saying that scrolling through the socials there seemed to be general surprise that he hadn't found a club yet.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Reading between the lines it sounds like Elliot had maybe been overpromised by an agent about finding a club here so KB'd the contract offer he had on the table from Wellington - in saying that scrolling through the socials there seemed to be general surprise that he hadn't found a club yet.

Perhaps he's just taking his time and preferring no move to the wrong move...at 24 he's still got a good window to get a big-money switch but if his first swing at UK football is a disastrous two years, then two years somewhere lower atoning for it, suddenly it's getting tight to land a life-altering check.

13 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Perhaps he's just taking his time and preferring no move to the wrong move...at 24 he's still got a good window to get a big-money switch but if his first swing at UK football is a disastrous two years, then two years somewhere lower atoning for it, suddenly it's getting tight to land a life-altering check.

Yeah, that's definitely possible. I guess it just feels like having had the security of a long term deal on the table at the start of May last year but knocking it back is quite a while to go without kicking a baw.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, that's definitely possible. I guess it just feels like having had the security of a long term deal on the table at the start of May last year but knocking it back is quite a while to go without kicking a baw.

It's definitely not what I'd do but as we often say, self-belief and confidence are one of the many reasons he's a professional footballer. The fact Goss - with his CV - felt he could turn down guaranteed security to see what came up before landing in Greece sums it up really.

Elliot might be great but even if not, he will be - at the very least - confident that he's got the probable safety net of an A-League team making an offer should he return there with his tail between his legs.

I'm not that in to judging players hugely on the league they are coming from. It's a consideration though.

On one hand you have Davor. He was plying his trade in the Cypriot league before us and he's slotted in absolutely marvellously I think the majority would probably say. He's essentially doing the things he was doing in his Youtube clips but now in Scotland.

On the other hand you have Danzaki. A league obviously. Didn't go well. But, I'm not even sure judging him on a few games in the death throws of Hammell is particularly fair. Kettlewell had his card marked early to be leaving the club for one reason or another, like a few others (Hi Stuart), and he never got a look in. 

Callan Elliot seems like a prospect signing to me more than anything. Played a season of top flight football, has skirted around the national team so has some promise. Fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's definitely not what I'd do but as we often say, self-belief and confidence are one of the many reasons he's a professional footballer. The fact Goss - with his CV - felt he could turn down guaranteed security to see what came up before landing in Greece sums it up really.

Elliot might be great but even if not, he will be - at the very least - confident that he's got the probable safety net of an A-League team making an offer should he return there with his tail between his legs.

Just had to Google Sean Goss to see where he ended up. For some reason I thought he'd went to India. 

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, that's definitely possible. I guess it just feels like having had the security of a long term deal on the table at the start of May last year but knocking it back that's quite a while to go without kicking a baw.

Yan Sasse looks a laugh. Get him signed.

4 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Just had to Google Sean Goss to see where he ended up. For some reason I thought he'd went to India. 

He was linked there for sure... maybe he thought he'd do better than where he ended up but even so, I doubt life is exactly bad...

41 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Just following this point up and it probably tracks.

It seems like Elliot actually moved from 'The Nix' for a club in Greece - and he played precisely zero games. Signed a 3 year deal in 2020 but was back in Wellington in the next summer.

The Greek club have since folded 'On September 19, 2022, Xanthi FC announced its withdrawal from the Super League 2 championship, putting an end to its presence in the professional categories, as it failed to address the financial and administrative problems it was facing.'

Doesn't exactly sound like a great experience.

Anyway, I see there's a bit of chat about him on a Wellington Phoenix forum: https://yellowfever.co.nz/categories/kiwi-players-overseas/topics/callan-elliot-xanthi-fc-greece/page/3?highlight=post_1430401

Edited by capt_oats

36 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

'The Nix' is a horrendous nickname.

Antipodean colloquial language tends to shorten all nouns where possible. The only surprise is that a vowel or a y hasn't been stuck on the end. For example 'I could go a snitty this arvo' means 'I quite fancy a chicken schnitzel this afternoon'

On 17/01/2024 at 13:07, JayMFC said:

On the Society front, we had a really useful session with a group of members last night on communications (you may have clocked mention of it on the socials today), led by Scotland's top tannoy announcer. A lot of constructive criticism as expected, the vast majority of which those of us in attendance from the Society not just already knew, but have actually been echoing for quite some time now - so it'll be very useful to have that "evidence" to draw on going forward. There was of course some really good additional ideas, suggestions & concerns raised by folk, a very beneficial discussion all in.

On an optimistic note, as I've alluded to previously, I'm confident things can now genuinely improve with a Society Board more weighted in the direction of enacting the kinds of improvements & changes required, which I suppose highlights the benefit of Society members themselves engaging with the election/re-election process (and sessions like last night).

That's absolutely not a criticism of anyone, more just an observation that everybody rightfully has their own views & perspectives of things on a democratic board, such as what's needed in terms of communication, and sometimes there just needs to be more folk with a similar mindset before you can see (what I would consider as) proper progress.

Folk may have already been aware about this, but just flagging that Speedie will be hosting another session tomorrow night on "member rewards" this time. Worth considering going along if you happen to have a particular gripe, idea or comment related to the whole rewards side of things (and can actually get there without being carried away by a gust of wind obviously).