Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Quite depressing that best a club like Hibs can hope for these days is to become a feeder club for Bournemouth, based only on geography. Not sure where that leaves us. A tie in with Salford City?

Seems to me the beautiful game is well past saving for the ordinary punter.

The big clubs have so much cash now that they just hoover up all the best talent now for their academies, so the chances of us developing a star of our own and selling them down south for a big fee are becoming smaller and smaller.

The best we can expect these days seems to he getting a rare talent on loan for 6 months the aid their development to the next rung on the ladder.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

34 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

No doubt about that. I've long given up having an interest in football beyond Scotland and a passing glance at the Bundesliga. 

The European Super League - either inside or outside of uefa - will happen and tbh I don't even think it's a bad idea any more. The rich can play among themselves and we'll see where we end up either playing very locally in Scotland or at our own level with similar sized continental peers.

But this one of the reasons the non-football part of our business - be it community, brand, media, whatever - is so crucial. We're going to have to find something to rally round and keep people attached because as you say, the quality - with the odd exception obviously - is only likely going in one direction.

No need to add too much comment re our lack of strikers but let's not forget that Spittal is proving to be a big asset with his goals this season. Considering that he is a mid fielder to trade his goal return and overall performances have been very good.

We still of course need additional strikers . Next week hopefully will bring joy.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

53 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

But this one of the reasons the non-football part of our business - be it community, brand, media, whatever - is so crucial. We're going to have to find something to rally round and keep people attached because as you say, the quality - with the odd exception obviously - is only likely going in one direction.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. For me (and for most fans of most clubs, especially the more, shall we say, mature contingent) supporting your team is rooted in your childhood, and on the long-gone terraces, where year after year you watched legends like Joe Wark. There was continuity, and tradition, and you could identify more readily with the team.

That love of the club based on mutual history doesn’t change, but almost everything else has, and I wonder at what point more and more people start just saying, “Ah, f**k it, I’m done with this”.

At least with fan ownership and the regular emails from the Well Society, there’s still a good sense of “belonging” with Motherwell. Could they do more/better? Aye, most probably, but we’re lucky compared to some clubs and I suppose if we can endure fifteen without a win, most of us should be good for few more seasons yet.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Quite depressing that best a club like Hibs can hope for these days is to become a feeder club for Bournemouth, based only on geography. Not sure where that leaves us. A tie in with Salford City?

The big clubs have so much cash now that they just hoover up all the best talent now for their academies, so the chances of us developing a star of our own and selling them down south for a big fee are becoming smaller and smaller.

The best we can expect these days seems to he getting a rare talent on loan for 6 months the aid their development to the next rung on the ladder.

Absolutely cannot agree more tbh. I’m losing interest and love for the game. Even my overseas (inc England) interest is waning as imo the game is less and less enjoyable. We won’t see players like Bergkamp, Zola, Henry, Iniesta, Pirlo, Baggio etc again. If we do they will be very few and far between. Pace is king now in the modern game. 

Being replaced by big robotic athletes who cost £100m….

Your point about clubs hoovering for academies cannot be overlooked or understated. It’s obscene, they are wasting talent and players are chasing the cash rather than the long term development and career. So many young players hitting the scrap heaps, rehabs, reality shows rather than developing as a player at a young age. 

Game is fucked imo. 

21 hours ago, Casagolda said:

DC5C423D-1C6F-4E60-8173-E269F03F511A.thumb.jpeg.ad305d8bc7effb53a9a8ff32ac59d29c.jpeg

The journalist reporting it suggesting he’s been pulled out of the squad for their game this weekend, so it sounds like they’ve taken whatever we’ve offered seriously enough.

A strange one right enough though. As you say, wouldn’t have been so surprising during Alexander’s time when we weren’t averse to chucking fee’s about or shopping in different markets. 

Feels like a departure from what we’ve seen this season under Kettlewell though. 

I get that Hebrew > English is open to being ‘lost in translation’ but looking at some of the replies to that Tweet it sounds like his club are looking to take whatever we’re offering.

IMG_6688.thumb.jpeg.3262cc5950dad6c14ac212aa6efaf863.jpeg

IMG_6687.thumb.jpeg.ebb5b7ae87ecc9ce4744e7f1022f960b.jpeg

Edited by capt_oats

I’m the same. Up until my mid-twenties I’d watch any football going but the last 5-10 years I’ve completely lost my appetite for anything outside of Scottish and international football.

The disparity between the haves and have nots in club football makes the vast majority of domestic leagues a procession, huge academies hoover up all the talent before 99% of them are thrown on the scrap heap, and football at the top level is becoming so boring and formulaic. As @wellboy1991 says, it’ll become increasingly rare to see players like Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Riquelme doing their thing at the top level. 

VAR is the worst of the lot for me though. It’s removed the best thing about football; that unbridled moment of emotion when your team score a goal. It’s proven to be a bit of a farce so far but there’s been too much money spent to scrap it. Imagine it won’t be long before we’ve got sponsored VAR reviews in the EPL to keep the money rolling in. 

9 minutes ago, dezz said:

As @wellboy1991 says, it’ll become increasingly rare to see players like Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Riquelme doing their thing at the top level. 

Players that were quite fat but brilliant isn't a thing any more at our level - and that's a pity. Folk with no pace but all the skill were always the best players.

Randomly I remembered what the pre-match warm up looked like when I started going in the late 80's - there were no cones, bibs and co-ordinated routines - it was 11 guys wandering about on their own doing keepie-uppies every few minutes and breaking into a wee run if the assistant manager looked their way.

And no-one could run fast enough to need to worry about what a hamstring was.

The worst thing is those daft wee socks footballers wear now.

Theres a definite period that for me lasted from the 1990 WC through to about 2010 or so that just feels like a different world.  So much opening up of football with the likes of the Serie A stuff on C4, the start of the Champs League, and that’s before you get started on stuff like Champ Man.

The latter is I think part of the problem now tho, too much focus on stats and ‘data’ which I get have a place but it’s the way that this seems to be (essentially) the only type of reporting or discussion around football these days.  

All the chat about xG or ‘duels won’ sucks all the enjoyment out of it.  It’s still 22 guys running about a grass rectangle trying to hoof a ball into a net.  Doesn’t need to be over complicated.

It's probably down to clubs trying to rely on quantifiable things when signing a player. Signing a player with physical attributes you can mould to what you need rather than ability. Which is a real shame in terms of entertainment. Something satisfying about watching a guy play like he should have a tab on. Berbatov is one of my favourites for this. Guy barely looked arsed while having a first touch like he was trapping a bag of sand and scored worldies without breaking a sweat.

I agree about watching less football overall. I watch Motherwell & Scotland but don't really give too much of a f**k about anything else these days.