Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is very much my takeaway from today's game. 

Absolute worst case scenario for us is a playoff, but I  think in reality we'll be comfortable. 

We desperately need a centre forward to stand between the posts.

Agree with this. Today we played well, good goal from Bair. Goal we conceded (offside or not) was atrocious though, we need to wrap that pish. Feel like we conceded the exact same goal in the 2-2 in Perth too. 

Frustrating not to win today but, first 3/4 minutes aside, we controlled that and on another day we win it comfortably. Looked like we had a plan, the players looked more comfortable and the couple of new additions looked decent. Special mention to both wing backs, thought they were both excellent. Busy few days ahead to find a couple of striking options to help Theo I'd imagine. 

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

2 in 2 in the league this month for Bair. Wonder if that's enough for POTM.

I think one of those January goals won him POTM for December 

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah. The theory is obviously that you shouldn't give him the window then bin after a mid-February cup humiliation but reality - as we've seen - will surely take over if that's the run of results.

It's almost as though we didn't do that last season 😄

I’ll admit we looked better but no way would I rely on that bunch to perform and win over a two legged tie for top flight safety. That goal we conceded right at the start was beyond woeful.

1 in 18. Just truly shocking.

Next game against Killie is tough but the one versus County three days later is the biggie. After that it is a horror run apart from Livi on the 28th who are even worse than us.

One way or another the season can’t end quick enough for me which will hopefully be the back of quite a few players as well.

6 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Next game against Killie is tough but the one versus County three days later is the biggie. After that it is a horror run apart from Livi on the 28th who are even worse than us.

A point against Killie would be welcome but you're right the RC game huge. In terms of the bottom grouping, we've now played seven games v our direct rivals and won once. Regardless of everything else, if that doesn't improve we're probably fucked (at least in terms of 10th).

I'm less concerned about what comes next than how it appears on paper mind - Aberdeen and Hibs are charity cases in their own right and while St Mirren and Dundee are better than us, you certainly don't look at those games as write-offs.

I enjoyed the game today, disappointed not to win.  It was a good old tussle even if the quality was low.  If we had someone else who took up the positions that Paton got into we would have won, why doesn’t he aim at the goal?

Thought overall we looked much more like a team. Have liked O’Donnell much more at RCB but honestly thought he looked quite decent at RWB in the second half when defending wasn’t really a thing we had to do. (Although seemingly everything time there’s a question asked of our defence we crumble and someone inexplicably has to make a calamity of errors anyway.) SODs got forward well a couple of times and provided an option. Gent looked class against Alloa and the ball in that went out for a throw was great, however I thought he was honestly really poor defensively again and the St Johnstone right hand side got passed him way too easily, leaving McGinn to try and mop up. McGinn looked his usual 7/10 and thought he was generally excellent overall, Butcher is looking better with more minutes but it was almost too causal at times, and Mugabi managed to not piss a game away so that’ll do.

Halliday and Davor were largely fine? Composed and tidy enough and ticked things along fairly well without anything really remarkable. Paton had great wee spells and thought some of his runs and passes were great but christ he should have had a double today. Got into great positions and it was such a lovely ball from Nicholson for that last chance and he somehow didn’t test the keeper in either occasion. Was interesting seeing him walk over at the end with hands up and gesturing “1,” he knows he should’ve done miles better. Spittal continues to be our only consistent actual threat, and an injury to him would have me fearing the absolute worst but even, like during the Alloa game, where he puts in a series of pish deliveries from set pieces or a couple of slack through balls, he always seems capable of creating something, and I really do hope he stays. 

Another very welcome goal for Bair but we seriously need some forward reinforcements quickly. Nicholson looked like he had something to offer coming on but it’s clear he’s needing a while to get anywhere near up to speed. Would still hope for 2 forwards and a CB, especially is Casey is still a bit further away. Definitely a bit more hope after today with our threadbare squad but we need some help urgently. Hopefully get some ITKMarv input soon or the bold “Tommo,” sniffing about Uppercrisy, Tim Hortons or the car park for the latest scoops, but we need a couple quality additions.

There’s a few regular posters on here that clearly have good sources and as always we appreciate the wee snippets we get. 

I’m glad people are saying Butcher looked better but I’m also certain it was his poor clearance that led to the goal we conceded.

37 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m glad people are saying Butcher looked better but I’m also certain it was his poor clearance that led to the goal we conceded.

I wondered that at the time but I'm coming to the conclusion it's harsh...he was going towards his own goal, four yards out and a man right on him, I reckon he can say he stopped a certain goal from a difficult situation and ask why our goalkeeper didn't collect a ball that eventually was a couple yards off the ground in the middle of the six-yard box.

Goalkeeper positioning is always a question of odds - by definition you can't cover everything all the time. If you're a bit further out at a free kick like that you obviously increased the chance of being caught with a surprise shot, for example. But I really think - in general, not just here - Kelly is being welded to his line more and more and it's causing problems.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

Incredibly harsh to pin the goal on Butcher. There was a number of players who could have potentially don't better in that goal and ultimately though it was a bit of a stramash when a number of players probably weren't fully switched on yet. That's been an issue through the season. 

As for the result, draw is ok, not ideal, but fine. Draws are what are saving and killing our season - 6 in the last 10 league games, only 3 losses in the same period. The two teams above us, Aberdeen and Dundee, for example, have lost 4 in that same time. Couple of wins and we will be laughing. I mean, we are, due to these draws, only 8 points with a game in hand behind St Mirren in 5th....and all they get is plaudits after all...

16 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Another goal for Bair, just another day for the big man. What a guy! 

Shankland and Miovski are now the only 2 non OF players in the league to score more goals than him this season. 

Big man is doing a grand job especially in the circumstances. If yesterday highlighted anything though, it’s that the rest of our season hinges on the next 4 days and what forwards(s) Kettlewell can bring in to help him before the window shuts.

Cause we really should have won that. Only one team was trying to win it 2nd half and you felt if Mika was still here we just might have. Still the overall level of performance was far better.

One early set piece aside, the defence looked solid enough- although St Johnstone never really tested that theory. The midfield had some balance to it and we moved it well at times even on a poor surface. Unfortunately we just lacked a bit of quality/composure in the final third to find the winner.

But aye, it’s not as bleak as it was looking at one stage. Halliday looked a solid enough addition in the middle of the park and Nicholson(when fit) looked like he could add a bit of a spark that’s been missing. That wee shroo ball with the outside of his foot to put Paton through at the end was delightful. 

Big few days coming up now though and we need to get it right. 

Edited by Casagolda

Much like last week I thought we were broadly fine yesterday. At times we were even quite good in so much as we controlled the game in a way we just weren't earlier in the season.

Given the circumstances; we've been blindsided by Biereth being recalled and Montgomery being injured along with us going to a venue where we rarely ever play well then the minimum was not losing. Especially as we were chucking in a guy from the start who prior to signing had played less than 30 mins of football this season (fwiw, I thought Halliday had a solid enough game).

Ultimately not winning these games is probably the difference between having a relatively comfortable second half to the season and one that's a bit more stressful.

That said, if you view the 3-0 in Dingwall as the nadir (so far) our record is 1 loss (to Rangers) in 7 across all competitions since then. So while objectively the 1 win in 17 lin the league sounds bad (and don't get me wrong it's not great) we've still only lost 3 games in all comps since the last time we were in Perth on 7th November (12 games).

@Casagolda has just said it but it's really about what happens through the week. As it stands, we're competitive enough with our peer group to be drawing these games which is very much a fine margins situation. If we're able to bring in what we need (and everyone stays fit) then there's a platform of sorts to build on.

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Stav being recalled by Maccabi.

Screenshot_20240127_190106_X.thumb.jpg.fb4f15d97bb237998f878d738ab8e49e.jpg

Totally bizarre all in to sign a guy that had a big future fee attached and who scored twice on his debut then pretty much zero game time since.

I wonder if that will free up wages for a late window incoming. 

The Record has Nahmani leaving St. Mirren but possibly staying in Scotland. We're not specially mentioned but it sounds right up our street. 

Kind of touched on it in terms of recent form in my earlier post but it occurred to me that we began starting Gent and Zdravkovski after the 3-0 shambles against County in Dingwall.

I guess there are other factors but these are our results since that point:

Screenshot2024-01-28at11_00_15.thumb.png.f3dc3a22d1b1494f449d2357330eb776.png

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Kind of touched on it in terms of recent form in my earlier post but it occurred to me that we began starting Gent and Zdravkovski after the 3-0 shambles against County in Dingwall.

I guess there are other factors but these are our results since that point:

Screenshot2024-01-28at11_00_15.thumb.png.f3dc3a22d1b1494f449d2357330eb776.png

Was frustrating when we kept losing that Kettlewell wouldn't start either ... until he had no real choice