Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, ropy said:

I see Livingston are playing Ross County in midweek, what are we looking for, a draw?  A win for either gives them more hope than they deserve.

Think anything but a County win suits at this stage of season. 

13 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Think anything but a County win suits at this stage of season. 

Aye my thoughts exactly . Ideally wouldn't want livi getting any wins so that the instant relegation spot is taken completely out the equation but county getting 3 points is by far the worst case scenario there . 

A draw is definitely the best result for us, but on the other hand I kind of want Livi to score the scrappiest of last minute winners after the most attritional game of association football ever just to see what Derek Adams says next.

I'll maybe stick my neck out a bit and say I don't think Livi will catch us. County have looked miles better than us in the two games between the teams this season but their league position suggests that's not really an accurate reading of where they are. If Livi win and this weird Derek Adams psychodrama continues then those two hopefully  get cut adrift a bit from us and St Johnstone  

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'll maybe stick my neck out a bit and say I don't think Livi will catch us. County have looked miles better than us in the two games between the teams this season but their league position suggests that's not really an accurate reading of where they are. If Livi win and this weird Derek Adams psychodrama continues then those two hopefully  get cut adrift a bit from us and St Johnstone  

Obviously tempting fate but there's no way this Livingston side is making up 9.5 points on us. I'd be quite happy for them to beat County in midweek.

And speaking of midweek, I'm also hoping Aberdeen beat Dundee as that's probably the only hope we have of facing a Barry Robson side at pittodrie.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Obviously tempting fate but there's no way this Livingston side is making up 9.5 points on us. I'd be quite happy for them to beat County in midweek.

And speaking of midweek, I'm also hoping Aberdeen beat Dundee as that's probably the only hope we have of facing a Barry Robson side at pittodrie.

At this stage last year both Motherwell and Dundee United had played 22 games and were on 20 points, Killie and County had played the extra game but were also on 20 points. It would take some turnaround from Livi to catch up, Martindale is pleading poverty at a time when he probably needs many new bodies in the door to help them.

We were unfortunate earlier in the season when the St Johnstone game was postponed and Steven MacLean had gotten his jotters, I wouldn't be surprised to see Robson getting emptied soon. 

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

I see that Barry Maguire didn’t retain his place on the bench in Perth, what next for him?

I think we're more or stuck with him unless he goes to a league that starts in the next month or so.

Just so I know what level of stress I need to have - does the Window close at 11.59 on the 31st or is it the 1st of Feb?

In any case, feels like quite an important couple of days .. 

Livingston would need to slightly up their PPG total to equal our points tally, if we lost every single game between now and the end of the season. That's obviously not going to happen (Livi would have to beat us twice into the bargain), but that illustrates the unlikelihood of us finishing bottom. I also say that believing that Livi's current position is indicative of where they should be. Without obviously watching them too closely, it doesn't seem like they're almost there, or like they're playing well in games but just not getting points.

Looking at the table (9 points and 14 goals) we are closer to 4th than we are to 12th.

That said, I can't ever fully shake off my Motherwell pessimism and think a draw between them and Ross County would make me feel at my safest this week. 

Watching the game on Saturday, as frustrating as it was not to take all three points, I'd be much happier watching that as a Motherwell fan rather than a St. Johnstone fan. I missed the chance they had at the death, so I'm not sure how close it was, but from what I saw, they didn't really trouble us too much aside from the set piece opener. On the other hand, Paton had two chances he should have scored, Spittal should have scored, Gent had a decent effort and any touch from Gent's fizzed ball across could have caused something.

I feel like if we stopped conceding soft openers, we'd sort a lot of our problems out.

I think it's going to be tight all in, but how confident I am in escaping relegation will be a lot clearer at 10pm next Tuesday, after playing Ross County at home.

9 minutes ago, santheman said:

Rumours going around that Spittal been offered a PCA by the Midden

One of the only players I'd be really disappointed to lose. Hopefully we are already working on something with him. If we aren't it's pretty poor management from us. 

6 minutes ago, santheman said:

Can understand that. But unless they are going to offer a lot more in wages I am struggling to see the benefit to Spittal unless he fancies a change in scenery. 

Shame about KVV if true but was probably fanciful he was ever coming back to us. I would see it as literally the last option for Groningen given they paid us £500k+. At least it means we can look to other more realistic options assuming we were ever in for him in the first place.

35 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

KvV apparently off to Vitesse Arnhem in the Dutch top flight now. 

Good luck to him but if he was inconsistent and grumpy playing for Groningen I'm not quite sure why Arnhem will be much better.

17 minutes ago, santheman said:

Spittal would be absolutely mental to commit to St Mirren (or us, for that matter) right now.

Judging by what I’ve seen on your football club social media channels Spittal still lives near his home town of Erskine. 

He’s clearly a Saints fan that prefers not to travel everyday to Motherwell.