Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Like @Busta Nutwith Kelly, @thisGRAEME really has it on record that he doesn't fancy Tierney. Fair enough - everyone has their views which is fine. 

I think Tierney can definitely offer us something, and said the same last time this came up. He's a great option attacking behind the striker which is one of our main plays. But, Kettlewell seems to favour players who can do a couple of jobs...even if they aren't particularly good at either

e.g. Paton can play that attacking role fine but has no real end product, and 'do a job' a bit further back but isn't brilliant at it. Tierney is probably a better attacking option but couldn't really fill in anywhere else and isn't particularly 'robust'. See also - Stuart McKinstry 

I think I'm with @thisGRAEME on the Tierney isn't for me train. 

Apart from one cracker his shooting is trademark young Jamie Murphy chip into the keepers arms stuff. For someone with 'attacking intent' I've never been less confident in a player lining up a shot. 

No harm to him but if Tierney is the answer then the question is based around the Championship. 

13 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Apart from one cracker his shooting is trademark young Jamie Murphy chip into the keepers arms stuff. For someone with 'attacking intent' I've never been less confident in a player lining up a shot. 

No harm to him but if Tierney is the answer then the question is based around the Championship. 

Tierney is still young. Id like to see him again after his loan spell down south. A full pre season and some League Cup games should give us a chance to see if he has added anything or needs to just go out on loan again until his contract expires.

25 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

I don't think he is the answer persay but I defintley think he's useful to have around. He's only 22 as well 

It's all a moot point because Kettlewell is 100% launching him in the summer anyway.

Re Tierney. I’m with a few on here. I don’t think he’s the answer but I think he’s an option. I think Nicolson is a better player but I think he offers more in attacking sense and final 3rd than Paton for sure. I think he’s a better option also than Obika for a goal and assist but he doesn’t appear to be over Vale.

He also offers a bit of bite and fight which we do miss. However I wouldn’t be pinning our hopes of saving relegation on him. 

It’s weird as I think he didn’t suit last years formation but would this years same as McKinstry. 

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That wasn't nearly Kelly's fault but he's jumping about there without using his arms. Shite again.

I’m more concerned with Mugabi not looking at the ball. Just running towards the goal. Ball over Casey’s head aswell. How can Shankland get so much time. Zonal marking is shit.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Any word on how long he's out? Sorely missed today.

Said on the radio he was touch and go, only just missed out.

We played reasonably well but if you can't defend simple set pieces you're going to lose more weeks than not.

The point in midweek means we're par for the two aways and Celtic even if we lose next Sunday but Livingston away is now looking like a huge test of the nerves.

Again I find myself going "we're not far off being a decent team", but there can't be teams in this league more naive or less street wise than us. 

Was always going to be a tough test today, but the number of goals we're conceding from set pieces is absolutely staggering, constantly giving ourselves so much to do. 

Gotta hope Celtic don't get a new manager bounce next week...

As usual, we had a few decent bits of play but never really looked like we were going for the win. 

Defence poor for both goals yet again. At least Kelly can't be blamed this week. Bringing on SOD when Gent went off was daft. 

This club continues to improve  ruin people's lives. 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

As usual, we had a few decent bits of play but never really looked like we were going for the win. 

Defence poor for both goals yet again. At least Kelly can't be blamed this week. Bringing on SOD when Gent went off was daft. 

This club continues to improve  ruin people's lives. 

Given we were already missing Spittal, Gent going off totally killed any lingering threats we had. Can only hope both are fit again next week.

Think it's a bit harsh to say we didn't try to win, obviously we played on the break first half but got up when we could. And gave it a go at the start of the second too.

Of all the poor moments this season, today probably doesn't even make the top 20 tbh. We were basically fine and lost a marginal one to a side in great form cruising third...meh.

Switching off (again) at a set-piece. Otherwise gave as good as we got, which wasn't much.

Highlight of the afternoon was my human being "led from the premises" because I shouted "Where's the 30,000?" (and other things) at that Tory b*****d fucker of a linesman.