Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

18 minutes ago, Swami said:

For what it’s worth, I thought that boy from Sheffield United looked utterly bollocks against Morton. 

I thought that as well but didn't want to say anything as I'd quite rightly be told he'd had less than half a game of football. But if he's buggered off then he's fair game!

Completely one-footed and wanted to beat someone several times so he could get it back to his left.

22 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Kettlewell's extension was apparently triggered when he kept us up.

Society consultation will start soon, two bidders interested but want more than 50%.

Details will no doubt follow.

Like I said many pages ago. No one prepared to spend millions who are not fans (and even then ) would want to be a minority shareholder. It simply does not make sense from a business or legal standpoint. 

Let’s hope that one if not both interested parties have deep pockets 🤞

Full disclosure that I wasn't at the AGM and I've not thought massively through all the permutations but I can't really see us staying fan-owned and not being relegated in the next 5 years. I suppose the question is whether folk just want to accept that we don't have a god given right to be in the top flight the same as Partick, Dunfermline, Falkirk etc don't or not. Obviously the Taylor Swift option is the ideal scenario but I think anybody wanting to become a majority shareholder without chucking away the "ethos" should probably be at least heard out.

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Like I said many pages ago. No one prepared to spend millions who are not fans (and even then ) would want to be a minority shareholder. It simply does not make sense from a business or legal standpoint. 

Let’s hope that one if not both interested parties have deep pockets 🤞

Why would someone want to invest in a scottish club anyway? Other than to asset strip? Honestly, what is the upside?

4 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Why would someone want to invest in a scottish club anyway? Other than to asset strip? Honestly, what is the upside?

Nothing to asset strip from Motherwell FC I would imagine. 

In truth the answer lies in rich men (or women) who want a plaything. If you are worth 10s of millions what use is being the richest person in the graveyard. Now most sensible people would be philanthropic and give to charitable causes to make a real difference. Maybe they could and will do both. 

I'm doing the lottery tonight, so we might be OK, as long as I don't have this guys luck https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/powerball-lottery-sue-washington-dc-jackpot-b2498461.html

Full disclosure, I'm going full on dictator when I buy the team with my lottery money. I'll be banning fans I don't like, sticking players to rot in the reserves a la tommy McLean, and probably picking the team. I'll draw the line at playing, but only because I did my hamstring last week.

Edited by rowsdower

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Full disclosure that I wasn't at the AGM and I've not thought massively through all the permutations but I can't really see us staying fan-owned and not being relegated in the next 5 years. I suppose the question is whether folk just want to accept that we don't have a god given right to be in the top flight the same as Partick, Dunfermline, Falkirk etc don't or not. Obviously the Taylor Swift option is the ideal scenario but I think anybody wanting to become a majority shareholder without chucking away the "ethos" should probably be at least heard out.

For me that's the thing in a nutshell.

Everyone will have different views but for me I don't think with our fan base, as a fan owned club, we can run a football club in the top flight long term.

Personally I'd prefer to be in the top flight and not a yo yo club, or worse, a club on the championship for years on end. 

So if an investor wants say a 51% stake for talking sake, and they aren't pure baddies then I'm into it. I'm sure the structure can be set up so it's simply not just an evil tyrant calling the shots and that there is still serious and proper fan representation at the core of it all.

Edited by eliphas

3 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Chat fae the AGM is that Kettlewell's contract is until May 2025, not May 2024... our outstanding communications strike again. 

EDIT: I'm not at AGM, just had a message from someone who is. 

Double checked and when he was confirmed as manager the website said it was until 2024. We seem to love not announcing certain contract extensions these days.

Assume it was a clause if he kept us up but just tell folk when it happens 😂

I was there. Some laugh.

There were people taking notes so I imagine there will be a full report of what went down on other sites.

McMahon seemed genuinely baffled as to why people thought Kettlewell's contract was up in the summer but he just wanted to clarify because he'd heard that there had been discussion on "social media".

Weir confirmed later on that it was an automatic trigger and (I think) he said he didn't realise it hadn't been communicated until the other day.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Chat fae the AGM is that Kettlewell's contract is until May 2025, not May 2024... our outstanding communications strike again. 

EDIT: I'm not at AGM, just had a message from someone who is. 

Double checked and when he was confirmed as manager the website said it was until 2024. We seem to love not announcing certain contract extensions these days.

Assume it was a clause if he kept us up but just tell folk when it happens 😂

That’s absolutely fucking mental that we, the actual fans, weren’t told he was contracted to be our manager next year. I’ve not got the same gripes as others do about comms, I think they’re mostly fine but that’s honestly rattled me. 

Edited by CoF

7 minutes ago, CoF said:

That’s absolutely fucking mental that we, the actual fans, weren’t told he was contracted to be our manager next year. I’ve not got the same gripes as others do about comms, I think they’re mostly fine but that’s honestly rattled me. 

Hardly going to be the media teams fault though is it? Not like they just did not bother to post it. More likely the board kept it to themselves and the information was not passed down.

6 minutes ago, ML4 said:

Hardly going to be the media teams fault though is it? Not like they just did not bother to post it. More likely the board kept it to themselves and the information was not passed down.

Oh I agree, I wasn’t suggesting it was the media teams fault. 

I couldn't make the AGM tonight because of work - so I missed the Kettlewell chat. The thing is - is there a single one of us at the end of last season that wouldn't have thought an extra year was a perfectly sensible/well earned contract "reward" for keeping us up? It's just the fact that no-one thought to mention the fact that the most important person at the club was here for an extra year...

As @dezz says - throughout pages of chat, we've all been under the impression that there is a decision to make at the end of the season (which again seemed a reasonable thing) - but that is obviously no longer the case and we're going into next season in the same boat (unless we go down).

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

He was going to get another year if we stayed up this season, wasn’t he so it makes little difference.

Aye don’t get me wrong, barring any major disaster I’m fine with Kettlewell being here next year. I just think it’s absolutely nuts we didn’t know that. 

53 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Tommy Coakley turning up to speak to McMahon and Weir...

italian.jpg.f2dad8245b02e53b2d4a2177915df5a3.jpg

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

I couldn't make the AGM tonight because of work - so I missed the Kettlewell chat. The thing is - is there a single one of us at the end of last season that wouldn't have thought an extra year was a perfectly sensible/well earned contract "reward" for keeping us up? It's just the fact that no-one thought to mention the fact that the most important person at the club was here for an extra year...

As @dezz says - throughout pages of chat, we've all been under the impression that there is a decision to make at the end of the season (which again seemed a reasonable thing) - but that is obviously no longer the case and we're going into next season in the same boat (unless we go down).

100% this.

Mention it here and absolutely no one bats an eyelid...