Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I assume that's at the discretion of the club rather than the player, which was alluded to last night during the discussions.

Aye, I was away to say that IIRC Kettlewell said that he didn't feel it was his place to discuss the specifics of the contract in terms of who it favoured but Weir chimed in to say something along the lines of they were/are "comfortable" with the deal.

Take from that what you want.

In fairness Kettlewell also put his hands up to the (good) question of <paraphrasing>"if we (correctly) didn't pursue Moult because of his injury record, how did we justify extending Obika whose injury record is equally as bad"</paraphrasing> and said that the Obika deal was on him and explained the logic and thinking behind it which was in line with what I think most of our understanding of his reasoning was ie: he did well playing in a specific role, St Mirren offered Mandron a better deal than we were willing to so we stuck with Obika and his burst hamstrings.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't exactly blame Kettleball* for signing Obika- pretty much everyone in Scottish football has an Obika type in their squad and he's probably better than some of the ones around us. He does look absolutely done though. Hopefully he's just taking a bit longer to get up to speed after a rare injury but he's less effective upfront than Bevis right now.

*autocorrect obviously but I'll leave it in

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Off the top of my head that's SOD, McGinn, Mahon and now the actual manager who have had an extra year somehow which nobody saw coming. There's no way this was an accident or coincidence. And given most of these, had they been clauses, would have been considered fair I have no problem with any of them.

But...how many people actually knew we had a manager for next season? The fucking Society board didn't. How could JM and DW possibly think this was justifiable behaviour?! And that's not just a question of comms to the public but reporting back to the actual owners of the business how you've dealt with arguably the most key member staff in the club. 

As for the glib comment about it coming to attention on 'social media', it has been the main discussion of every Motherwell spot online, every pub chat and at every game for months...how the hell can you tell an AGM with a straight face you're surprised there's confusion?!

I'm very forgiving of mistakes in the club but this one, and all it symbolises, is very close to making their positions immediately untenable.

Jesus Christ, that's the blood pressure away again having calmed earlier...I imagine it was only utter shock that stopped those there asking wtaf they were playing at. f**k sake, I'm off for a lie down!

I'm the same here.

For it to happen 4 times is not a coincidence. I don't think there is anything going here, tbh, that is cloak and dagger persay. But I do think information wasn't passed on for whatever reason at the time about the deals and  then it's.... not thought about again because it's not the way McMahon and Weir work.

McMahon and Weir, and the rest of the board, very much strike me from the old school way of communication in business (i.e. they don't need to know that so we won't tell them, keep it simple and there is less to pick apart type of comms)

Now, I'm on record a number of times on here basically saying we don't need a grand Head of Comms position, or a big comms strategy, for a club our size, and I do stand behind that. But that was probably coming from a place that the few folk in charge or involved in the comms weren't missing simple stuff like this....

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

The option for a further year is in the post the club made last summer when he signed https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/06/19/jon-obika-returns/) (unless you mean unspecified in the terms of what triggers it, in which case fair enough).

Yeah, that's what I meant...I never understood why you'd say that without specifying whose side it's on.

Wow, manager contract extension (plus others) no communication broadcast and it's deemed as an oversight. 

Pull the other one! 

Don't believe this bs for 1 minute.

Goes 180 degrees against fan ownership and community club. 

Not a murmer for months when genuine conversations on manager suitability, club financials. 

Its like a Scoobie Doo script... 

"We'd have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky supporters at the AGM" 

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Lifting this from the Club AGM thread on SO:

I've been doing a bit of googling on the couple of bidders being discussed. Some sleuthing with a few big jumps because I was quiet at work today....

The Ozzie bid. The CEO mentioned would definitely would be saying the right things if they pitched up here. Here is an excerpt from his press release when announced at Brisbane...remove Queensland for Lanarkshire and that is what we preach:

We believe in developing and nurturing young & local talent, so that they can grow as people and as footballers.”  

“Our focus will be to reconnect the club with the football community throughout Queensland and establish a clear elite pathway from club and school football to the professional game,” Patafta said.  

Patafta, an ex-professional footballer played at Portuguese giants Benfica, Melbourne Victory, Newcastle Jets, the Australian U17 and U20’s national teams and was among four promising youngsters invited to train with the Socceroos leading up to the World Cup in Germany. 

“Our vision is to not only engage but to support local clubs by working together to grow participation, supporting more boys and girls to play the game.”  

Brisbane owners are The Bakrie Group. Indonesian based but own Brisbane through a company called PT. Pelita Jaya Cronus. Which looks like it's an investment arm for Bakrie essentially. They've got links across the world.

A golf team in LA was mentionedThis one definitely raised an eyebrow. As a golfer myself, you don't really hear about 'golf teams'. But, there was one recently just launched in LA, for a thing Tiger Woods is launching. Los Angeles Golf Club founded by Alexis Ohanian (founder of Reddit) and his wife Serena Williams. They were also founding investors in an LA womens fitba team.

The streaming magnate bid. Couldn't really dig up anything but was thinking...does Jim McMahon think Reddit is a streaming compay and actually that bid is the LA golf clubs one.

Anyway - entertained myself for a half an hour.

13 minutes ago, eliphas said:

The streaming magnate bid. Couldn't really dig up anything but was thinking...does Jim McMahon think Reddit is a streaming compay and actually that bid is the LA golf clubs one.

FWIW I was not at the AGM and not a board member/WS member and have no more information. But for my own google-fu I got Netflix CEO left to start his own company in January. No idea if that's a "documentary company" or why he'd have any connection/interest to us though.

I do get the fear that "made his money in streaming" could be less running a channel/service and more "YouTuber/Twitch" fanny. New investment to come from Jake fucking Paul, kiosks only sell PRIME and every comms ends with "like and subscribe"

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Off the top of my head that's SOD, McGinn, Mahon and now the actual manager who have had an extra year somehow which nobody saw coming. There's no way this was an accident or coincidence. And given most of these, had they been clauses, would have been considered fair I have no problem with any of them.

But...how many people actually knew we had a manager for next season? The fucking Society board didn't. How could JM and DW possibly think this was justifiable behaviour?! And that's not just a question of comms to the public but reporting back to the actual owners of the business how you've dealt with arguably the most key member staff in the club. 

As for the glib comment about it coming to attention on 'social media', it has been the main discussion of every Motherwell spot online, every pub chat and at every game for months...how the hell can you tell an AGM with a straight face you're surprised there's confusion?!

I'm very forgiving of mistakes in the club but this one, and all it symbolises, is very close to making their positions immediately untenable.

Jesus Christ, that's the blood pressure away again having calmed earlier...I imagine it was only utter shock that stopped those there asking wtaf they were playing at. f**k sake, I'm off for a lie down!

SK came with a team a stick on for a playoff at best, he took a (and lets not rewrite history here) hot and cold mental Dutchman and played a system that he flourished in. That raised his profile, got headlines, broke records and put him on the radar to earn the club north of half a million for a guy about to turn 32. Along the way it raised us to 7th and therefore scooped 3 league placings of prize money. Those 14 games made the club £1m ahead of our worst case projections before the season started.

The alternative sliding doors moments rather than posting a £500k profit this year there would potentially be a £2m swing with us posting a north of £1.5m loss in the Championship with another 7 figure loss this year, with said huffy Dutchman having a few months left to run.

So based on that I get totally why an extension of a year would be triggered or even given.

When I guess our executive board members will refer to any social media channel by preceding it with a "the" then I'll take them on their word it was news to them it was being discussed on "the Bovril and Pies" and "the Twitters". In the current boards defence, I suspect its more a recipe made of overlooking it, dealing with more pressing stuff, a culture of not sharing every decision and a sprinkle of the Alexander extension in Jan 2022 crap they couldn't be bothered with. I struggle to see it being a nefarious plot and backroom conspiracies and scheming.

However 'Flow was tapped up by Cormack and Epstein didn't commit suicide.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

I've been doing a bit of googling on the couple of bidders being discussed. Some sleuthing with a few big jumps because I was quiet at work today....

The Ozzie bid. The CEO mentioned would definitely would be saying the right things if they pitched up here. Here is an excerpt from his press release when announced at Brisbane...remove Queensland for Lanarkshire and that is what we preach:

We believe in developing and nurturing young & local talent, so that they can grow as people and as footballers.”  

“Our focus will be to reconnect the club with the football community throughout Queensland and establish a clear elite pathway from club and school football to the professional game,” Patafta said.  

Patafta, an ex-professional footballer played at Portuguese giants Benfica, Melbourne Victory, Newcastle Jets, the Australian U17 and U20’s national teams and was among four promising youngsters invited to train with the Socceroos leading up to the World Cup in Germany. 

“Our vision is to not only engage but to support local clubs by working together to grow participation, supporting more boys and girls to play the game.”  

Brisbane owners are The Bakrie Group. Indonesian based but own Brisbane through a company called PT. Pelita Jaya Cronus. Which looks like it's an investment arm for Bakrie essentially. They've got links across the world.

A golf team in LA was mentionedThis one definitely raised an eyebrow. As a golfer myself, you don't really hear about 'golf teams'. But, there was one recently just launched in LA, for a thing Tiger Woods is launching. Los Angeles Golf Club founded by Alexis Ohanian (founder of Reddit) and his wife Serena Williams. They were also founding investors in an LA womens fitba team.

Anyway - entertained myself for a half an hour.

Maybe it was just the bits I could hear (honestly lads, get a fucking PA...even a small one) but it felt like the general conversation from board members leaned very heavily towards the US option. I don't know if that was a steer towards preference or if that one is just more advanced.

I think it was Weir who said something along the lines of the guy having made his money in streaming and it was a platform that we all use. Assuming we're not on Daniel Ek's radar but tbqh it could be anyone from someone who's actually credible to someone who's an absolute shitehawk as @AnderooMFC suggests.

There was also a comment that it "isn't Ryan Reynolds".

I mean, until it's clarified who the bid is from and we get some sort of prospectus/pitch deck it's kind of difficult to rule anything in/out.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

He now has to navigate the rest of the season with many of the supporters now not only just raging about our form, but now also raging that he has a contract extension.

There's that, but it also puts to bed the discussion on whether we should part ways at the end of this season. I'd also say that most fans are being pretty level headed about the manager - he's liked, people know the limitations he's working in and he's shown he's got it in him to get us playing some good football (yes even this season). Everyone knows the results haven't been good enough but the seethe just isn't there and you can see that in how this extension has been received, a few grumbles but mostly okay with the news.

I should caveat that I haven't been on steelmenonline - no idea how it's going down over there. 

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Maybe it was just the bits I could hear (honestly lads, get a fucking PA...even a small one) but it felt like the general conversation from board members leaned very heavily towards the US option. I don't know if that was a steer towards preference or if that one is just more advanced.

I think it was Weir who said something along the lines of the guy having made his money in streaming and it was a platform that we all use. There was also a comment that it "isn't Ryan Reynolds".

I mean, until it's clarified who the bid is from and we get some sort of prospectus/pitch deck it's kind of difficult to rule anything in/out.

If anyone is inclined, Amy Irons interviewed Reynolds middle man and he outlines why Scottish teams were not attractive when they were looking. Which makes me wonder what the "streamer" sees unless he is naive to the reality that Humphrey as a native directed Reynolds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0gngn4s 17m20s on

The rub is you have to listen to Levein drone.

I suppose the surprise for me was the backgrounds of the two parties as cited. I can fully understand a City Group model having clubs in different leagues to effectively act as local scouting systems and interchange players. With nobody until Bournemouth recently doing that up here and with Brexit a reality I would have thought it would be a good fit especially with a low relative buy-in for English money.

Edited by Vietnam91

51 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

I do get the fear that "made his money in streaming" could be less running a channel/service and more "YouTuber/Twitch" fanny. New investment to come from Jake fucking Paul, kiosks only sell PRIME and every comms ends with "like and subscribe"

The "sidemen", a bunch of folk in their 30s/40s (KSI) who stream on Twitch as if theyre 14, have spoken about wanting to try buying and running a high level club for the past year, apparently.

Id assume theyd be laughed out of any serious football club, which should make you safe from that fate.

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

So based on that I get totally why an extension of a year would be triggered or even given.

I struggle to see it being a nefarious plot and backroom conspiracies and scheming.

To be clear, I have nothing against SK continuing (which was my position before we found out about this) and had this been announced when it should have been, I imagine it would have been widely welcomed.

I also doubt it's a plot but rather extreme negligence/incompetence. Asking for money and people to get involved while not telling us about a key decision regarding arguably the key employee at the club, and then being surprised about it is shocking. 

Edited by Handsome_Devil

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

To be clear, I have nothing against SK continuing (which was my position before we found out about this) and had this been announced when it should have been, I imagine it wo

That wasn't directed at you, but of course it could be something agreed after and massaged into a "kept us up trigger" narrative. But that comes to one thing that I think is a concern for so many in the public eye these days, especially in emotive roles. Derek referenced how the conspiracy theorists searching for meaning are an extra element that makes the gig that much more of a pain in the hoop and therefore I'm inclined to fall into the dropped the ball lads camp and take people on their word.

From what I've seen at AGM's over the years, what a board member looks for in a manager is often very different from a paying punter. SK has wielded an axe like no other, no reports of craziness, Morton aside we're sitting tentatively in 7th. Many may not agree but I think he is a perfectly serviceable Motherwell manager, the black trackie and gillet equivalent of a Paul McGinn.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The "sidemen", a bunch of folk in their 30s/40s (KSI) who stream on Twitch as if theyre 14, have spoken about wanting to try buying and running a high level club for the past year, apparently.

Id assume theyd be laughed out of any serious football club, which should make you safe from that fate.

The oldest of the Sidemen has just turned 31.

The 7 of them have a combined net worth of close to 100 million and have annual passive income in the 10's of millions.

They have close business ties with Logan Paul and Mr Beast, add them into the mix and you're talking money that most "serious" businessmen (and Taylor Swift 😝) could only dream of.

I mean it's not any of them obviously and never will be, but to write-off game-changing, business-changing social media entrapraneurs as adult children playing on the internet, makes you sound about 90 years old.

Edited by Al B