Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

35 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye I get that. Tbh I mainly just feel bad for Ketts that he hasn't been able to tell anybody about it for almost a year. He doesn't seem like the "vow of silence" type.

Have we considered he has told us but it was lost in the 487 hours of interviews he's given.

8 hours ago, Al B said:

Well, no, that's essentially my point. If we're only entertaining investors that we're fans of, then it's absolutely pointless, A - because it doesn't matter, and B - because no matter who it is, a significant percentage of fans will think their work is shite, so you're onto plums right from the start. Back in the days when Brown took over at St Johnstone, did the fans decide whether it was a good idea or not based on his business plan and his ideas for taking the club forward? Or based on how much they liked tractors?

Actually, maybe don't answer that.....

And I appreciate that you are mentioning that you're "afraid their target audience is under 16" in a derogatory way, but what age group do you think the target audience is for a provincial football club hoping to widen and grow their long-term fan base (one of the main goals of The 'Well Society)?

Absolutely no idea why youve decided i think all young millionaires are fannies and only old men are smart, simply because i think the "sidemen" are man children playing to the lowest denominator they can and who'd be awful at running a football club, but i think everyone just wants this to end now so fire on continuing to think that if you have to.

@capt_oats or others who were three. I saw a note about as far as we know no pressure contracts signed. Was there any chat on us resigning anyone from the squad yet? Contracts out there being killed over etc? I'm assuming not given we are still technically in relegation territory but just wondered.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely no idea why youve decided i think all young millionaires are fannies and only old men are smart, simply because i think the "sidemen" are man children playing to the lowest denominator they can and who'd be awful at running a football club, but i think everyone just wants this to end now so fire on continuing to think that if you have to.

I mean, that's quite the leap from anything I said, but cool.

5 minutes ago, Al B said:

I mean, that's quite the leap from anything I said, but cool.

10 hours ago, Al B said:

I was just about to give some clarification on my earlier post when I saw this, and yeah....exactly.

My point wasn't about The Sidemen, and I'm not a fan of their output at all, but I was using them as an example of how the definition of a traditional "successful businessman" has changed dramatically.

No matter how stupid their product is, that's just their product...it might be fucking stupid and mind numbing, but why would it not be when it's making them that kind of money? Their business behind the scenes that the public don't see is something very different. You don't operate a £100 million pound business without a very astute business and PR team behind you.

If someone like that was interested, they should absolutely be chased if their intentions weren't in line with what was good for the club, we should absolutely 100% be as choosey as humanly possible for that reason. But if we're going to be choosey because we're not a fan of their work, then we might as well just not bother.

I'm sure there's plenty Wrexham fans who think Ryan Reynolds films are utter shite, but it's not about his films, it's about his intentions for the club. How he made his money shouldn't come into it (all jokes about unscrupulous money-laundering schemes aside).

tl;dr - Successful business people aren't limited to suited-up old men in boardrooms anymore, and we have to be wise to that.

33 minutes ago, eliphas said:

@capt_oats or others who were three. I saw a note about as far as we know no pressure contracts signed. Was there any chat on us resigning anyone from the squad yet? Contracts out there being killed over etc? I'm assuming not given we are still technically in relegation territory but just wondered

It was asked and the response was that there are some players who are out of contract that we're in negotiations with, but obviously can't name them.

There was brief discussion about wages and how increasing demands essentially mean that we'll be able to build a squad next season but that SK will be looking to promote some of the younger players into the first team as well.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's not even responding to you?

I'm not sure why you're trying to make (or take) my point as being about either you or "The Sidemen", when I went out of my way to say that (for me) their "content" is absolute nonsense.

My point is that if a club is looking for serious investment, and an extremely wealthy investor approaches, you can't dismiss them out-of-hand without even looking at their business plan or talking to them, just because you're not a fan of their work.

Do you dismiss an actor if you don't like their films, or a musician if you don't like their songs?

My thoughts on this have nothing to do with what RandomGuy thinks about The Sidemen (or anyone else), and they they aren't about The Sidemen.

I genuinely can't see what's controversial about thinking any investment opportunities should be explored purely on the merits of a business plan, the investors aims for the club and end-goal, and their methodology for carrying it out. I'm sure someone like The Sidemen would massively fail on one or all of those points, but you have to draw that conclusion through business due diligence, not by whether you like what they do or not.

As you say though, I'm sure this has long passed the point of being tedious as f**k to read now, so we'll just leave it there...you either see the point I'm trying to make whether you agree or not, or you think I'm a massive fan of a particular group of people and I'm just annoyed that you don't like them. Either way is cool.

Edited by Al B

17 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Fair play to the folk going in to bat on twitter, every time I've looked I've seen a stupider take than the one I saw an hour ago.

Tbh there are times hearing from the fans vastly undermines the concept of fan ownership.

33 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Fair play to the folk going in to bat on twitter, every time I've looked I've seen a stupider take than the one I saw an hour ago.

I know Twitter is hardly representative of pretty much anything but some of the rhetoric out there does give me the absolute fear, which is a bit of a comedown from coming out of a Well Society meeting on Monday evening feeling the most positive I've felt about fan-ownership since before the pandemic.

Some folk seem to think this is simply the real life equivalent of using the editor to give yourself a higher transfer budget on Football Manager, rather than the genuine future, and potentially even long-term existence, of the football club.