Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's probably an unanswerable question and I'm not sure that it really needs asked but it's been rattling around my brain so I'll ask it anyway: Does Harry Paton score our equaliser last night, (like does he even make that run to get in that position?) and do we get that second half performance in general if he's on the park instead of Nicholson?

That's not meant as a dig at Paton or anything (honest) and it's also shite that he's out injured but I've mentioned before that Nicholson feels like a more obvious fit for that role and it kind of felt that way watching how things panned out.

I was watching him closely at the game as it was his first start - he's a very clever player and you can see he's got a bit of experience when it comes to winning a few Slatterys by getting between the opposition and the ball and just stopping - and he also took the right option almost all the time when there was nothing on.

During the 2nd half when we were motoring, he played a lot of little quick passes and was in good positions - and it feels like he'll be better once other players tune in to what he does.  I think he's a starter from now on if he's fit enough and I would say that if Paton was fit because I suspect he's got some end product.

2 hours ago, Swami said:

I hope Davor plays on Saturday. He was howling last night, but everyone has a shocker sometimes. Spittal doesn’t half get right on his case sometimes. 

I very much enjoyed SOD misplacing a pass in the second half and the folk round me absolutely losing their shit despite the fact he had just laid on the equaliser. 

Also, my haggis pie was magic. 

Never ceases to amaze me how fans can see performances differently.

For my part I watched Favor closely last night and I thought he performed well. Never hiding he was always looking for the ball and creating. His substitution I put down to tactics or picking up an injury.

Just my take on the wee man.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Other thing I noticed from the highlights was that Vale's back post header and the wee apologetic fist pump celebration is total John Sutton - are they related?

Suttons his uncle.

3 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Never ceases to amaze me how fans can see performances differently.

For my part I watched Favor closely last night and I thought he performed well. Never hiding he was always looking for the ball and creating. His substitution I put down to tactics or picking up an injury.

Just my take on the wee man.

Yeah that was my take as well.  I think he made a mess of a shooting opportunity at one point but was largely fine. He was clearly sacrificed so we could get someone playing closer to Bair who was struggling against two centre backs.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Mugabi is a good player for us. He isn't even a top 3 defensive problem

Blaney, Butcher and SOD are all terrible. Liam Kelly is rancid. Then we still have no full backs signed for next season.

I completely disagree. I think Mugabi is poor at points and I dont agree that SOD is terrible. And as much as I'm not Kellys biggest fan I don't think he's rancid. 

52 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Interesting... I'd say Bevis is a walking liability and even on his good days an error is never far away.

SOD has improved again out wide but I like the fact he can play rcb too...we need two out of the back three to be able to pass if that's going to work and finding those guys at the level is hard.

Agree 

49 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hearts fans seem to hate Scott Fraser. Only on loan so wonder if we'll try again in summer.

On a similar-ish topic, my idle mind was wandering to all those strikers we failed to get in January and while there's plenty of time for them to come good/get fit/have been unlucky etc we don't appear to have missed out on much yet.

Stewart, KVV, Main and the Sunderland Guy at Hibs haven't scored yet and while Nouble got two in the cup but little in the league since deadline day. Doidge might be playing brilliantly but has one in six at Forest Green. May is still bit-part at St J and Brophy, in from the cold at county, is arguably the only one in any form.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Mugabi is a good player for us. He isn't even a top 3 defensive problem

Blaney, Butcher and SOD are all terrible. Liam Kelly is rancid. Then we still have no full backs signed for next season.

Agree on Bevis as long as he is in the middle of back 3. As well as being only centre half with pace he is strong, good in the air, a fairly solid defender and a threat at set pieces. He is prone to the occasional error but he's more than good enough for Motherwell 

26 minutes ago, Muzz1886 said:

Anyway, in other news ... I assume this is some administrative thing that was covered off at the AGM?

Screenshot_20240229_205322_Samsung Notes.jpg

Erm. Maybe something to do with the restructuring of the board to include more directors etc.

23 minutes ago, Muzz1886 said:

Anyway, in other news ... I assume this is some administrative thing that was covered off at the AGM?

Screenshot_20240229_205322_Samsung Notes.jpg

Just now, StAndrew7 said:

Erm. Maybe something to do with the restructuring of the board to include more directors etc.

It's presumably a procedural thing.

If you look at the company filing history you'll see similar in previous years.

4th April 2023 and 23rd December 2021.

Screenshot2024-02-29at21_42_30.thumb.png.5c6504e9292cb93b3e94e0e8ad4f2070.png

Anyone got stats on how Mugabi's headers won / aerial duels / whatever compares to the rest of the defenders in the league? I know he's caught out positionally now and then but when he does go for the ball he almost always wins it. There's periods in games where it's just Mugabi heading the ball away and it's great. 

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

On a similar-ish topic, my idle mind was wandering to all those strikers we failed to get in January and while there's plenty of time for them to come good/get fit/have been unlucky etc we don't appear to have missed out on much yet.

Stewart, KVV, Main and the Sunderland Guy at Hibs haven't scored yet and while Nouble got two in the cup but little in the league since deadline day. Doidge might be playing brilliantly but has one in six at Forest Green. May is still bit-part at St J and Brophy, in from the cold at county, is arguably the only one in any form.

Haha aye. I still think the freak out was justified as if Vale hadn't hit the ground running we'd be in pretty dire straits still. I mentioned KVV to my brother the other day.  He's presumably still quite fond of his child so I assume wanting to hang about in Scotland. I don't think Killie will be able to pay the £6k p/w much beyond this season (nor has he really justified it so far.) 

I'm not suggesting we will/should go back in for him but I'm genuinely curious about where he'll end up.

45 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

Agree on Bevis as long as he is in the middle of back 3. As well as being only centre half with pace he is strong, good in the air, a fairly solid defender and a threat at set pieces. He is prone to the occasional error but he's more than good enough for Motherwell 

It's more than occasional in my view. It baffles me how SOD gets the criticism when Bevis is a bomb scare. I think he's a great guy but he's been a loose cannon too many times in my view