Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Pretty surprised at that. I know it was at this point a hypothetical question, but that must be gutting for the revitalized society board. I hope the yes's know the ceiling of that decision, and the floor.

Just catching up on the defence chat before the thread inevitably goes back to society chat.

I would keep SOD, like @capt_oats said the criticism some give him at times is overboard for me. He's dependable, can fill in a number of positions and is a good pro. Throw into the equation that I don't think he's ever really suffered an injury?

Onboard with @thisGRAEME and @Busta Nut on Mugabi. There's been so many times over recent years that we've thought it's the right time for a player to leave, then we replace them with someone who is worse. I would like him to be first sub in an ideal world though - I would really like us to replace him with a starter in there.

McGinn I would definitely keep. Casey has poor but I'm not giving up on him yet - I reckon he could return to form.

Blaney, like I said in my last post hasn't made me feel too much one way or another about his performances. It feels like him moving on for first team football might happen.

I don't think anyone thinks keeping Butcher is a good idea now.

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

I agree and how I voted. I suspect the actual number of Society members that are active in the Well Bois, Block E etc would be proportionally lower than other more mature / older voters. 

That's actually more reassuring to me than the vote, tbh 😄

Regarding retaining players, I agree with the earlier posters that individually, I'd be happy to keep most of our out of contract guys, but the thought of keeping them all (bar Spittal, who we have no chance of keeping) scares me.

Bevis is a typical scottish premier league central defender. Generally fine, has some clangers every now and then, but  has enough standout performances to get the "that boy at motherwell" treatment from the OF wanks.

14 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Well Society vote results now out…

Sure it’s not the result most would have thought.

351 would not accept.

642 would accept

I'm not so surprised at the result: the more you looked at the option, the more ambiguous they became. However, I wasn't expecting that sort of margin between them, almost 2:1

2 hours ago, Alanos said:

This is what I posted on SO.

Out of contract (1st team squad)

• Liam Kelly - Bye
  • Aston Oxborough - Bye
  • Bevis Mugabi - Bye, maybe Backup
  • Ricki Lamie - Bye
  • Stephen O'Donnell - Backup
  • Callan Elliot - Don’t know
  • Paul McGinn - Keep
  • Barry Maguire - Bye
  • Calum Butcher - Bye
  • Callum Slattery - Keep
  • Sam Nicholson - Keep
  • Blair Spittal - Keep, Keep, Keep, Keep
  • Jonathan Obika - Bye
  • Mark Ferrie - Don’t know

Hard to disagree with the above. In fact I fully agree. If we do keep Mugabi and SODs then it should be as squad players both of which I would be fine with.

But we desperately need to change or at least try to change CB and GK unless we want the GA column to be similar next season. 

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Pretty surprised at that. I know it was at this point a hypothetical question, but that must be gutting for the revitalized society board. I hope the yes's know the ceiling of that decision, and the floor.

To be fair...they were the ones who put out such woolly wording basically inviting people to listen to any offers. So I'd be surprised if they're too disappointed.

What concerns me most is that:

1) we're now going to spend time dealing with people who want to take control rather than be a partner. That's just the wrong priority.

2) our negotiating position to outsiders is weakened as it's now much harder to say to potential investors you need to take a back seat. They will quite rightly ask why when the fans said they're open to it.

3) if the proposal to give up control is rejected, what have we sacrificed in the meantime with no CEO, direction etc.

So while I do understand the result to an extent...not great.

12 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Well Society vote results now out…

Sure it’s not the result most would have thought.

351 would not accept.

642 would accept

As we have seen before, social media can create a bit of a false impression...

There are a lot of people who don't use it or enter forums like this one. I would imagine people within that demographic make up a fair chunk of the members.

One thing I would say is the turn out (albeit to a poll) is dreadful and should be taken into account.

Does beg the question, for a poll as important as this one. If folk cba to vote on it, how enthusastic will be there for further contributions etc?

2 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

There are a lot of people who don't use it or enter forums like this one. I would imagine people within that demographic make up a fair chunk of the members.

One thing I would say is the turn out (albeit to a poll) is dreadful and should be taken into account.

Does beg the question, for a poll as important as this one. If folk cba to vote on it, how enthusastic will be there for further contributions etc?

Absolutely this. Plus let’s face it the No voters are a lot more vocal and some Yes voters wouldn’t raise their heads above the parapet to be abused like I saw a fair amount off. 

I personally also thought the vote was too ambiguous and wooly to get a true and accurate vote and reflection. 

2 hours ago, Alanos said:

This is what I posted on SO.

Out of contract (1st team squad)

• Liam Kelly - Bye
  • Aston Oxborough - Bye
  • Bevis Mugabi - Bye, maybe Backup
  • Ricki Lamie - Bye
  • Stephen O'Donnell - Backup
  • Callan Elliot - Don’t know
  • Paul McGinn - Keep
  • Barry Maguire - Bye
  • Calum Butcher - Bye
  • Callum Slattery - Keep
  • Sam Nicholson - Keep
  • Blair Spittal - Keep, Keep, Keep, Keep
  • Jonathan Obika - Bye
  • Mark Ferrie - Don’t know

Ricki Lamie has signed a pre contract with Dundee. I agree with most of the above. Not sure about punting Kelly though. 

5 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

To be fair...they were the ones who put out such woolly wording basically inviting people to listen to any offers. So I'd be surprised if they're too disappointed.

1) we're now going to spend time dealing with people who want to take control rather than be a partner. That's just the wrong priority.

2) our negotiating position to outsiders is weakened as it's now much harder to say to potential investors you need to take a back seat. They will quite rightly ask why when the fans said they're open to it.

3) if the proposal to give up control is rejected, what have we sacrificed in the meantime with no CEO, direction etc.

Not sure why the result is not great ? I would actually be more worried if it was the other way around. 

I assume we will still get to vote on any proposals and at that point hopefully more than just a third would be bothered to vote. If the proposals should there by any look weak or woolly or resemble a poor option then I and I would expect most others would vote against outside investment at this point in time.

But an openness to consider options is imho encouraging. It may even entice any sleeping interest to come forward or give a green light to those currently in discussions which actually might turn out to be attractive to the fanbase. 

20 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I voted yes and I'm happy with that. 

3 minutes ago, Wellin said:

Ricki Lamie has signed a pre contract with Dundee. I agree with most of the above. Not sure about punting Kelly though. 

But Dundee are on the relegation express now.... we've all saw this picture before.

The thing that will kill fan ownership is apathy.

I thought with the groundswell on here and all socials after the AGM there would be a bit of a reaction.

Sadly last night at the events and fundraising workgroup there was an attendance drop off from Governance only 2 weeks before.

The current board are sadly having to deal with the tarred legacy of years of stagnation and zero dynamism.

Unfortunately the WS are in a twilight zone of optimistic potential but nothing much to demonstrate.

A reset button is needing to be pushed and complete rebrand is required to create a new relationship going forward.

I hope the results of this doesn’t take the wind out of any sails of those involved but hardens resolve to prove the naysayers wrong.

We would be better looking at the result as a referendum on WS performance to date rather than much else.

Edited by Vietnam91

49 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

That would have been a ridiculous decision if true. Drop our only tall defender for Butcher against Livi FFs. 

Im sure it’s common knowledge what the rumours are. 

Allegedly a young missing girl from London was found in his flat in Hamilton. He got taken off the bus at Tynecastle by the police. This is the alleged rumour and I have no idea if true. 

That seems far fetched, especially considering that there would have been plenty of media folk at tynecastle to catch that.

2 minutes ago, steelmen said:

But Dundee are on the relegation express now.... we've all saw this picture before.

They are still above us just now though yeah?

Just now, rowsdower said:

That seems far fetched, especially considering that there would have been plenty of media folk at tynecastle to catch that.

Maybe it was at Harthill services ……

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Im not sure i agree with you. People have just voted to say they would consider it. I am 100% for the society but why wouldn't we have a look and see if someone wanting 51% for X amount of money is a good deal. We need to look at all options (although as the vote was non binding I am sure they would have anyway)

Our negotiating position hasn't weakened, it might have even strengthened it. If we had ruled out talking to people wanting a majority shareholding that would have ruled people out. we are now saying we are prepared to listen to all investors.

4 minutes ago, Wellin said:

Oh I am. He could rediscover his form of the first loan spell and season. 

But at the moment I still view him as a weak link. Factually he has the lowest save % in the entire league. If we had any other player who was bottom of their respective stats / charts I would expect us to move them on. The fact he is our captain and he obviously has discreet pictures of the Manager should not impact on that. Of course it will but it should not imho.

23 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Someone just posted on SO saying that some members are non paying and that we have junior members as well and that might account for the percentage figures.