Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

When are fixtures likely out?

Usually decided on Monday after talks with police etc. Then announced on the Tuesday.

I think they might push it back and announce it on SKY with eh Dundee vs Rangers games. Do they can show which ones they have picked and possibly as an apology of having to go back to Dens Park again.

35 minutes ago, OhWell said:

Talking of defenders for next season would we welcome back Adam Montgomery? Not sure what his contract situation is at Celtic but for a while it looked like he'd be our LWB with Gent playing further up the park so perhaps an option for next season?

Totally forgot he was a thing so honestly I'm not arsed.

Great result for the Staggies today - you absolutely love to see it - but it has next to no bearing on the league we're in next season.

We've (very likely) got 2 home games left against Saintees and Livi (who I think have never won at Fir Park in their history) which will surely yield some points and we've got a decent record at taking points at all the away venues. If we can't make a 7 point gap count (+20 odd goal difference advantage) over County with the fixtures we've got left - then we should shut up shop.  

Things that could play a part :

Livi will be gone soon, they may then start to play with gay abandon and start taking points

Scheduling of the games - if our first two matches were Hibs and Aberdeen (unlikely as both away) then we may find that County and Saints have picked up points while we haven’t. 

I would like early games against 2 of Livi, Saints and County to kill them off.

42 minutes ago, Swello said:

Great result for the Staggies today - you absolutely love to see it - but it has next to no bearing on the league we're in next season.

We've (very likely) got 2 home games left against Saintees and Livi (who I think have never won at Fir Park in their history) which will surely yield some points and we've got a decent record at taking points at all the away venues. If we can't make a 7 point gap count (+20 odd goal difference advantage) over County with the fixtures we've got left - then we should shut up shop.  

Livingston cuffed us 5-1 at FP the day Khaled Kemas scored the goal of his life.

But aye - it would still take an astonishing collapse to get relegated from here.

That said, lose in Dingwall first game back while St J beat Livingston and I'm nervous again.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Aye, I mean, going by form we're 7th in the last 4, 4th in the last 6, 7th in the last 8, 5th in the last 10 and 5th in the last 12.

It's annoying it's not 'mathematically' sorted but unless our plan is to actively try to lose all our remaining games in some Major League style hi-jinks we're in reasonable enough form and while it's possible we lose all 5 we've only lost 4 in our last 17 (vs Rangers (h), Hearts (a), Celtic (h) and Aberdeen (a)). The Hearts and Celtic games are our only b2b defeats since the start of November.

Long story short; chances are we'll pick up a few points in order to land the plane.

Even in the play-off season we took 5 points post-split (a win vs Killie and draws vs County and Thistle).

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I mean, going by form we're 7th in the last 4, 4th in the last 6, 7th in the last 8, 5th in the last 10 and 5th in the last 12.

It's annoying it's not 'mathematically' sorted but unless our plan is to actively try to lose all our remaining games in some Major League style hi-jinks we're in reasonable enough form and while it's possible we lose all 5 we've only lost 4 in our last 17 (vs Rangers (h), Hearts (a), Celtic (h) and Aberdeen (a)). The Hearts and Celtic games are our only b2b defeats since the start of November.

Long story short; chances are we'll pick up a few points in order to land the plane.

Even in the play-off season we took 5 points post-split (a win vs Killie and draws vs County and Thistle).

Plus hopefully I won't regret typing these words but compared to County over the last few games our form has been much better than theirs. Not taking away from their win today but given that the bottom six have to play one another once - teams below us will drop points along the way as will we. I'm still nervous myself but I think we've done enough to avoid the play off spot. County would need to win three out of the last five and we would need to lose three for them to overtake us. 

2 hours ago, Swello said:

We've (very likely) got 2 home games left against Saintees and Livi (who I think have never won at Fir Park in their history) which will surely yield some points and we've got a decent record at taking points at all the away venues.

I'm happy for you that you've managed to block out the 5-1 defeat where Stevie Woods was standing at the corner flag as one of the goals hit the back of net 😂

Great goal by Khaled Kemas that day right enough.

Edit - didn't notice @Handsome_Devil's identical post! 

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

27 minutes ago, Wellin said:

Plus hopefully I won't regret typing these words but compared to County over the last few games our form has been much better than theirs. Not taking away from their win today but given that the bottom six have to play one another once - teams below us will drop points along the way as will we. I'm still nervous myself but I think we've done enough to avoid the play off spot. County would need to win three out of the last five and we would need to lose three for them to overtake us. 

And also worth pointing out that St Johnstone would also have to go on some insane run for us to end up 11th from here. The  teams below us all have to play one another so they can’t all win every game .

3 hours ago, OhWell said:

Talking of defenders for next season would we welcome back Adam Montgomery? Not sure what his contract situation is at Celtic but for a while it looked like he'd be our LWB with Gent playing further up the park so perhaps an option for next season?

Harsh, perhaps, but he already has enough of a chequered history past for me to want us to give him a wide berth next season.

I know he's a lot younger and a different profile of player, but I'd hope we had learned our lessons from watching someone with bad hammies occupying our treatment table (or Celtic's) whilst on loan before signing him permanently from Obika's situation. 

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Livingston cuffed us 5-1 at FP the day Khaled Kemas scored the goal of his life.

But aye - it would still take an astonishing collapse to get relegated from here.

That said, lose in Dingwall first game back while St J beat Livingston and I'm nervous again.

This was my first ever game when they used to give free tickets to schools. 

I also got another ticket a few weeks later and we conceded in the first minute against Dundee United.

I'm amazed that I stuck with us tbh. 

50 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

And also worth pointing out that St Johnstone would also have to go on some insane run for us to end up 11th from here. 

Aye. We're averaging about 1 win a month since the initial bounce after sacking MacLean, and haven't won at home since December 16th. We also haven't won consecutive games since November 2022.

The idea we're winning 3 from 5 and you lose all 5 is just wild to me.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm happy for you that you've managed to block out the 5-1 defeat where Stevie Woods was standing at the corner flag as one of the goals hit the back of net 😂

Great goal by Khaled Kemas that day right enough.

Edit - didn't notice @Handsome_Devil's identical post! 

Had genuinely forgotten about that utter nightmare of a game until @Handsome_Devil mentioned it TBH. Is that the only one?

52 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Was there not a post last month suggesting Montgomery wasn’t far away from playing again? 

There was. Here it is.

On 01/03/2024 at 21:08, Marinello said:

Returning briefly to the football but I'm hearing Montgomery's return is nearer than we thought. Good news.

I know we announced him as having returned to Celtic but then had to quickly walk that back and clarify that although he was rehabbing with them his loan hadn't been cancelled but I notice he's not included in the injury updates we give through the week.

GKt9-GlWcAI76F8?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by capt_oats

Anyway, taking a look at our points at the split in previous seasons, curiously we're on exactly the same as last season (37):

After 33 games:
23/24 (Kettlewell): 37 pts
22/23 (Hammell/Kettlewell): 37 pts (finished - 7th)
21/22 (Alexander): 40 pts (finished - 5th)
20/21 (Robinson/Alexander): 35 pts (finished - 8th)
19/20 (Robinson) - 30 games: 46 pts (League curtailed - 3rd)
18/19 (Robinson): 43 pts (finished - 8th)
17/18 (Robinson): 38 pts (finished - 7th)
16/17 (McGhee/Robinson): 32 pts (finished - 9th)
15/16 (Baraclough/McGhee): 44 pts (finished - 5th)
14/15 (McCall/Baraclough): 31 pts (finished - 11th)
13/14 (McCall): 60 pts (finished - 2nd)
12/13 (McCall): 54 pts (finished - 2nd)
11/12 (McCall): 55 pts (finished - 3rd)
10/11 (Brown/McCall): 44 pts (finished - 6th)
09/10 (Gannon/Brown): 48 pts (finished 5th)

I mean, it's cliche but it's true...it really is fine margins.

In the end, it's been an entirely average season but it's hard not to look at it and think those losses against Livi and County have bit us on the arse a bit.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In the end, it's been an entirely average season but it's hard not to look at it and think those losses against Livi and County have bit us on the arse a bit.

No doubt but you could say that about god knows how many things... we've only four home wins and the two since August have been against the bottom two. We just played three midtable sides at home there, scored twice in what is touching five hours (with injury time) and took two points from nine. We've taken only three points from St Johnstone because we've conceded four terrible set pieces.

That list goes on and on but it also needs to be said we've rescued more points this season after 90 minutes than I can ever remember...the margins going the other way could easily have seen us still in deep trouble.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

No doubt but you could say that about god knows how many things... we've only four home wins and the two since August have been against the bottom two. We just played three midtable sides at home there, scored twice in what is touching five hours (with injury time) and took two points from nine. We've taken only three points from St Johnstone because we've conceded four terrible set pieces.

That list goes on and on but it also needs to be said we've rescued more points this season after 90 minutes than I can ever remember...the margins going the other way could easily have seen us still in deep trouble.

I mean, aye.

Also, if the results against County and Livi are different then the whole timeline of the season changes - butterfly effect and all that.

It is what it is I guess.